The total eclipse is coming up soon

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
The heat death scenario you describe is, obviously, only based on our current understanding of physics. Since there are already problems with the standard model of physics, I think projected futures of the universe will change as these conflicts get ironed out. That is a shame, I do like the bleakness of the heat death. I hate happy endings.
The problem is that we don't fully understand everything yet. Dark matter and dark energy make up a large amount of the known universe yet we know little about either. We still don't know everything about all the subatomic particles and how they interact, etc. etc. etc.

Entropy is what leads to "the heat death of the universe". As the natural process is for things to go into a lower energy state (ie. less heat), once everything is at the lowest possible energy state you can consider the universe to be dead, therefore the heat death of the universe.
Both of you, My wrong: it's the heat death.

Just watched "BBC, wonders of the universe, episode 1" again: In a 100 trillion years from now there will only be light, white dwarfs, neutron stars and black holes left, from then on the universe is left to cool and die... for an unimaginable long time. we can't observe the black dwarfs, because there simply has not been enough time passing yet for black dwarfs to be formed, it's believed there are no black dwarfs yet in the universe...

haha, life can only exist during 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the lifespan of the universe, we were lucky with the timing :p

I read Hawking's book 'A Brief History Of Time'. A few times. At first, it was clear as mud, but I caught on as I went.
Very hard to understand, especially the part that time will start going backwards if the universe starts contracting, in retrospect I heard Hawkins stating that he may be wrong on this one.

BTW folks, I forgot to mention that Hopkinsville, Kentucky supposedly has the best seat in the house for the upcoming eclipse. I mentioned Madisonville, Kentucky b/c it is only 26-miles from Hoptown. They are expecting nearly 200,000 people for the event. No need for me to get around that traffic mess. Madisonville is certainly close enough for me. Hoptown is only 76-miles from me to begin with. :):):)
Phil
You're gonna have a great experience mate, really looking forward to hear about this :p

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Very hard to understand, especially the part that time will start going backwards if the universe starts contracting, in retrospect I heard Hawkins stating that he may be wrong on this one.
Maybe he got that idea from reading that Superman would fly around the World from West to East when he wanted to go backward in time.:D

I also read Cosmos, by Carl Sagan. That was an interesting read too, from the technical standpoint. Hated the movie.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe he got that idea from reading that Superman would fly around the World from West to East when he wanted to go backward in time.

I also read Cosmos, by Carl Sagan. That was an interesting read too, from the technical standpoint. Hated the movie.
EDIT: What is there not to like about Carl Sagan's Cosmos series? ;)

I love the Cosmos series and "Wonders of the universe" by BBC / Brian Cox
I got some serious reading to do now, gift from my wife :p

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
You're gonna have a great experience mate, really looking forward to hear about this :p
Yeah, a few of my neighbors want to drive down and check it out. It is only 42-miles south of where I am. Just don't want to get caught up in all of the traffic mess. Certainly something to remember for the rest of my life. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, a few of my neighbors want to drive down and check it out. It is only 42-miles south of where I am. Just don't want to get caught up in all of the traffic mess. Certainly something to remember for the rest of my life. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
If I were 42 miles away from the best seat in the house for a full eclipse I'd stay home too. I can't imagine it would be much different.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan

Cheers,

Phil
Seriously, you should go..... when can you watch following:
  1. An object creates many shadows at once
  2. "like a 360 degree sunset", the sky is red across the horizon, 360 degrees, said to be unbelievable
  3. Suddenly it's like the end the world, super-scary, birds stop singing and it's like everything suddenly come to a halt

People say it's way sensational :D

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord

Cheers,

Phil
If I were 42 miles away from the best seat in the house for a full eclipse I'd stay home too. I can't imagine it would be much different.

Pogre, I am actually about 76-miles away from Hopkinsville, KY which is said to have the best seat in the house per se. The city has about 60,000 people, but is expecting close to over 200,000 people for the Eclipse. That being said, I just do not want to get caught up in that kind of traffic. Especially, when many have no idea where they are really going. However, Madsionville, KY is only 42-miles away and would get me very close. As you mention, even here at home it would be a sight to see no doubt.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Seriously, you should go..... when can you watch following:
  1. An object creates many shadows at once
  2. "like a 360 degree sunset", the sky is red across the horizon, 360 degrees, said to be unbelievable
  3. Suddenly it's like the end the world, super-scary, birds stop singing and it's like everything suddenly come to a halt

People say it's way sensational :D

Even here at home I will have a good seat given that I am only 76-miles from Hopkinsville, KY. However, may drive closer for a better view/experience. Traffic is going to be a nightmare to say the least. People from all over the world are coming in already gearing up for the big event. BTW, even Jesus said, "There Will Be Signs In The Stars". The time is growing near! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Seems like the next total eclipse visible in North Europe is 3rd September 2081 =:-O

Last edited:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Even here at home I will have a good seat given that I am only 76-miles from Hopkinsville, KY. However, may drive closer for a better view/experience. Traffic is going to be a nightmare to say the least. People from all over the world are coming in already gearing up for the big event. BTW, even Jesus said, "There Will Be Signs In The Stars". The time is growing near! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
Hey Phil

One of the nearest signs in the stars... is Betelguise going supernova, the red giant is 643 light years away and so huge that if we put it into the Solar system it would extend beyond Jupiter. They say it can go supernova any-time, which in Universe terms can be tomorrow, or in a million years. in 15 seconds it will release more energy than the sun does in 10 billion years. Even being 643 light years away when this happens it will almost be as bright as a second sun. I believe that we will momentarily have a two star system like in Star Wars episode IV on Tatooine :p
Really? yes we will

That would be some sign for you and me, I think it would be very interesting if this happened in our lifetime, but I reckon chances are... probably not that good.

Looking forward to hear your story from the Eclipse my friend :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey Phil

One of the nearest signs in the stars... is Betelguise going supernova, the red giant is 643 light years away and so huge that if we put it into the Solar system it would extend beyond Jupiter. They say it can go supernova any-time, which in Universe terms can be tomorrow, or in a million years. in 15 seconds it will release more energy than the sun does in 10 billion years. Even being 643 light years away when this happens it will almost be as bright as a second sun. I believe that we will momentarily have a two star system like in Star Wars episode IV on Tatooine :p
Really? yes we will

That would be some sign for you and me, I think it would be very interesting if this happened in our lifetime, but I reckon chances are... probably not that good.

SN 1054 (aka, Crab Nebula) was a supernova witnessed by mankind and written about in ancient Chinese astronomy texts in 1054 ad. They wrote that it was visible during daylight hours so I imagine it was pretty bright. What an awesome sight it must have been.

I've read that Betelguese set to go any time now. Like you said, could be in the next 12 seconds or a million years. It could possibly happen after we're long gone. Either way we won't see it for 462 years after it happens!

This is fun to think about. If you were able to teleport instantly somewhere 65 million light years away, you could look back at the earth with a (non existant) powerful enough telescope and you'd be looking at dinosaurs.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hey Phil

Really? yes we will

Find all of this very fascinating. Especially, the concept of time in and of itself. However, as a Christian I also know my Bible very well. One of the specific things to occur before Jesus's 2nd coming is signs in the stars. The fact that this eclipse merely splits the USA into halves is very significant. Personally, I believe that this event is one of the signs Jesus spoke of. The day of the Lord is rapidly approaching inmho.

Cheers,

Phil

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Find all of this very fascinating. Especially, the concept of time in and of itself. However, as a Christian I also know my Bible very well. One of the specific things to occur before Jesus's 2nd coming is signs in the stars. The fact that this eclipse merely splits the USA into halves is very significant. Personally, I believe that this event is one of the signs Jesus spoke of. The day of the Lord is rapidly approaching inmho.

Cheers,

Phil
I think it's a predictable alignment between the moon, sun and earth and a little bit of coincidence that the sun is 400 times the diameter of the moon, but is also 400 times the distance away. Eclipses are inevitable.

It won't be that way forever though. The moon is drifting away from us at the rate of about an inch and a half every year. It used to be much closer when it first formed and has been drifting ever since. In a million years or two there won't be any more full eclipses.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I think it's a predictable alignment between the moon, sun and earth and a little bit of coincidence that the sun is 400 times the diameter of the moon, but is also 400 times the distance away. Eclipses are inevitable.

It won't be that way forever though. The moon is drifting away from us at the rate of about an inch and a half every year. It used to be much closer when it first formed and has been drifting ever since. In a million years or two there won't be any more full eclipses.
Yes, I find this all fascinating to say the least. But, I also believe it is one of the signs Jesus referred to with respect to HIS 2nd coming. Not trying to push my beliefs on anyone here. But, the way things are around the world today is very well predicted in the pages of both Revelations and/or Ezekiel. Not saying the end of times are now, but rather that the day is rapidly approaching. In the end, however, I would much rather be right about Jesus than to face death being wrong about HIM. :):):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It's nor a heat death scenario, it's just the fact that there is norhing left, just probably atoms flying around, no structure, no... anything... our understanding of physics makes this an inevitable end state.

What is the problem with the standard model of physics?
other than the fact that our understanding of physics completely ends in a singularity (black hole)

I think professor Brian Cox has some idea what he's talking about when he predicts the future evolution and state of the universe, do you suggest that he's wrong?

Brian Cox also state that there is an extremely limitied amount of time that life can actually exist in the universe, as when we get furyher along, conditions are not in place, so it's like a millionth of a percent of the lifespan of the universe that it's possible for life to exist. Luckily that time is NOW

I didn't understand fully why life can't exist in, say, a billion trillion years..... something about the second law of thermodynamics and that entropy will always increase, meaning that everything goes from a state of order, to less order, there is no way to stop it. Exactly as what I experience in my kitchen.
The big problem with physics right now is that we have Classic Newtonian Physics and then we have Quantum Physics. The 2 theories have yet to be completely unified, so clearly there are forces at play that are not understood yet.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The big problem with physics right now is that we have Classic Newtonian Physics and then we have Quantum Physics. The 2 theories have yet to be completely unified, so clearly there are forces at play that are not understood yet.
Isn't Newtonian physics more or less replaced by relativity? From what I understand Newtonian physics works very well to describe garvity, but has a few issues.

Just slap me if I'm wrong. I read about this stuff all the time, but only really grasp probably 5% of it all... :p

highfigh

highfigh

EDIT: What is there not to like about Carl Sagan's Cosmos series? ;)

I love the Cosmos series and "Wonders of the universe" by BBC / Brian Cox
I got some serious reading to do now, gift from my wife :p
Who said I didn't like the series? I didn't like the movie.

I don't have cable or satellite, so I can't watch the Neil de Grasse Tyson version, but I have seen many of his other shows- with the advances since Sagan's series, it would be interesting to compare the changes.

highfigh

highfigh

Thinking about why this could be- since Quantum Physics is at such a small scale, it seems likely that the reason we/they can't unify these is because the margin of error in the observations and calculations, which may be incredibly small, it still too large to allow the theories and fact to coincide.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Isn't Newtonian physics more or less replaced by relativity? From what I understand Newtonian physics works very well to describe garvity, but has a few issues.

Just slap me if I'm wrong. I read about this stuff all the time, but only really grasp probably 5% of it all... :p
Yeah, a little Google searching, and I think this sums it up pretty well:

Relativity supersedes classical mechanics. However at low speeds compared to c [speed of light]

, classical mechanics is a very, very good approximation.

Many of the principles (such as action = - reaction and f = ma) of classical mechanics hold in relativity as well. What was added is 1) c is the same to all observers and 2) The laws of physics are the same in every inertial reference frame.

Last edited:
Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief

Pogre,

This little diagram from Wikipedia may help:

Classical Mechanics is pretty much what we refer to as Newtonian physics. It works perfectly fine until you try using it to describe/predict objects moving very fast or objects which are very small. Each theory depicted has useful value but, unlike the Ring of Power, there has yet to be "one theory to explain them all" (Theory of Everything).

Have you ever checked out the movie "What the Bleep do We Know?" If you haven't already, I think you will be fascinated, entertained, and have things to think about for days.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis