The total eclipse is coming up soon

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
And Ozzy is playing a show at the start with an opening of Bark at the Moon , no joke lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
We're close to the narrow band, am at .9832 Magnitude. Lots of buzz around here about it...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm really looking forward to this. I s'pose I'd better get googling and see when it comes through az.

*Edit: Poop. AZ only gets a partial. Looks like it starts around 9 a.m. the day of.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I really, really want to see a full eclipse. I'm thinking about driving to Nebraska now...

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Get to see the full event in my neck of the woods! It is on my local news every single day reminding me.

Cheers,

Phil

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
We'll be in Bowling Green, KY to view through a 10" dobsonian... and of course pay our respects :D

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
We'll be in Bowling Green, KY to view through a 10" dobsonian... and of course pay our respects :D
Not too far from me then. In fact, I went to WKU as both an under grad and graduate student. Lived in BG, KY several times. It is about 106 miles from me. Madisonville, KY is where the so called experts are saying is the best place to view the coming eclipse. I am 42-miles from there. Going to be a very crowded place soon......LOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The End is Near!
:):):)

Now, excuse me while I go listen to my cables. :D:D:D

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
The End is Near!
:):):)

Now, excuse me while I go listen to my cables. :D:D:D
It's claimed by prof. Brian Cox that the universe will come to an end in about one gogool year, at that time all galaxies will be gone, all stars burned out and evaporated, and even the black holes evaporated, nothing left.... but one googol year is quite a long time, something like 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 years

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It's claimed by prof. Brian Cox that the universe will come to an end in about one gogool year, at that time all galaxies will be gone, all stars burned out and evaporated, and even the black holes evaporated, nothing left.... but one googol year is quite a long time, something like 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 years
Yeah, "near"

I didn't define "how near" ;)

Seriously though, I'm a man of science, but I think I'm gonna buy me a "The End Is Near" shirt, or maybe make a sign, just for this eclipse. Obviously this would be sarcasm.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, "near"

I didn't define "how near" ;)

Seriously though, I'm a man of science, but I think I'm gonna buy me a "The End Is Near" shirt, or maybe make a sign, just for this eclipse. Obviously this would be sarcasm.
When we talk about a googol year... it's unimaginable long time, it means the universe with its 13.8 billion years would be at 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000138 % of its total lifespan

near is pretty inaccurate :-D

I like your humor

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A one followed by a hundred zeros. Once all matter and energy disappear time will cease to have meaning also. Pretty bleak future for our universe.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Time can't exist without space and space can't exist without time, hard to understand what things will be as there will be no space and no time
Spacetime. The good news is, red dwarf stars will be around for trillions of years and if we make it that long we'll probably have developed the tech to use black holes as a power source. On paper we could almost make it to the end of time.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Spacetime. The good news is, red dwarf stars will be around for trillions of years and if we make it that long we'll probably have developed the tech to use black holes as a power source. On paper we could almost make it to the end of time.
Ever read any Douglas Adams? Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, but the 2nd book in the series is called The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.....as in the end of existence.....good stuff and great humor.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ever read any Douglas Adams? Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, but the 2nd book in the series is called The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.....as in the end of existence.....good stuff and great humor.
So Long, and Thanks For All the Fish! Always bring a towel. I read them all. I loved those books. The movie absolutely sucked.

I don't know why it sticks out in my mind, but I loved the idea of the frictionless surface of his space ship. You literally couldn't touch it.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
A one followed by a hundred zeros. Once all matter and energy disappear time will cease to have meaning also. Pretty bleak future for our universe.
The heat death scenario you describe is, obviously, only based on our current understanding of physics. Since there are already problems with the standard model of physics, I think projected futures of the universe will change as these conflicts get ironed out. That is a shame, I do like the bleakness of the heat death. I hate happy endings.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
My favorite reading, I love it....

The answer is always 42

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
The heat death scenario you describe is, obviously, only based on our current understanding of physics. Since there are already problems with the standard model of physics, I think projected futures of the universe will change as these conflicts get ironed out. That is a shame, I do like the bleakness of the heat death. I hate happy endings.
It's nor a heat death scenario, it's just the fact that there is norhing left, just probably atoms flying around, no structure, no... anything... our understanding of physics makes this an inevitable end state.

What is the problem with the standard model of physics?
other than the fact that our understanding of physics completely ends in a singularity (black hole)

I think professor Brian Cox has some idea what he's talking about when he predicts the future evolution and state of the universe, do you suggest that he's wrong?

Brian Cox also state that there is an extremely limitied amount of time that life can actually exist in the universe, as when we get furyher along, conditions are not in place, so it's like a millionth of a percent of the lifespan of the universe that it's possible for life to exist. Luckily that time is NOW

I didn't understand fully why life can't exist in, say, a billion trillion years..... something about the second law of thermodynamics and that entropy will always increase, meaning that everything goes from a state of order, to less order, there is no way to stop it. Exactly as what I experience in my kitchen.

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
It's nor a heat death scenario, it's just the fact that there is norhing left, just probably atoms flying around, no structure, no... anything... our understanding of physics makes this an inevitable end state.

What is the problem with the standard model of physics?
other than the fact that our understanding of physics completely ends in a singularity (black hole)

I think professor Brian Cox has some idea what he's talking about when he predicts the future evolution and state of the universe, do you suggest that he's wrong?

Brian Cox also state that there is an extremely limitied amount of time that life can actually exist in the universe, as when we get furyher along, conditions are not in place, so it's like a millionth of a percent of the lifespan of the universe that it's possible for life to exist. Luckily that time is NOW

I didn't understand fully why life can't exist in, say, a billion trillion years..... something about the second law of thermodynamics and that entropy will always increase, meaning that everything goes from a state of order, to less order, there is no way to stop it. Exactly as what I experience in my kitchen.
The problem is that we don't fully understand everything yet. Dark matter and dark energy make up a large amount of the known universe yet we know little about either. We still don't know everything about all the subatomic particles and how they interact, etc. etc. etc.

Entropy is what leads to "the heat death of the universe". As the natural process is for things to go into a lower energy state (ie. less heat), once everything is at the lowest possible energy state you can consider the universe to be dead, therefore the heat death of the universe.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis