The total eclipse is coming up soon

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
The problem is that we don't fully understand everything yet. Dark matter and dark energy make up a large amount of the known universe yet we know little about either. We still don't know everything about all the subatomic particles and how they interact, etc. etc. etc.

Entropy is what leads to "the heat death of the universe". As the natural process is for things to go into a lower energy state (ie. less heat), once everything is at the lowest possible energy state you can consider the universe to be dead, therefore the heat death of the universe.
I agree on those things :p
But now it's bedtime around here (CET)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It's nor a heat death scenario, it's just the fact that there is norhing left, just probably atoms flying around, no structure, no... anything... our understanding of physics makes this an inevitable end state.

What is the problem with the standard model of physics?
other than the fact that our understanding of physics completely ends in a singularity (black hole)

I think professor Brian Cox has some idea what he's talking about when he predicts the future evolution and state of the universe, do you suggest that he's wrong?

Brian Cox also state that there is an extremely limitied amount of time that life can actually exist in the universe, as when we get furyher along, conditions are not in place, so it's like a millionth of a percent of the lifespan of the universe that it's possible for life to exist. Luckily that time is NOW

I didn't understand fully why life can't exist in, say, a billion trillion years..... something about the second law of thermodynamics and that entropy will always increase, meaning that everything goes from a state of order, to less order, there is no way to stop it. Exactly as what I experience in my kitchen.
I think that's why Shady said "our current understanding". Science is always discovering new things and theories that explain the laws of nature and are subject to change. We still don't have a grip on gravity as the laws change in the subatomic universe. So much we don't know. Our current understanding might be all wrong. I really like that about science. It's method in and of itself is error correcting.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Relativity and quantum mechanics have yet to be reconciled. When they do, it will change our understanding of the universe. There are a lot of things that the standard model does not explain, even aside from the conflict between relativity and quantum theory. Why haven't we seen proton decay? Where are magnetic monopoles? Why is there more matter than antimatter? That is the stuff I can think of off the top of my head, but the list goes on and on, just do a google search. As has been mentioned, what is dark matter? Where does dark energy come from? Fascinating stuff, too bad we probably won't be alive when the answers arrive! :(

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Relativity and quantum mechanics have yet to be reconciled. When they do, it will change our understanding of the universe. There are a lot of things that the standard model does not explain, even aside from the conflict between relativity and quantum theory. Why haven't we seen proton decay? Where are magnetic monopoles? Why is there more matter than antimatter? That is the stuff I can think of off the top of my head, but the list goes on and on, just do a google search. As has been mentioned, what is dark matter? Where does dark energy come from? Fascinating stuff, too bad we probably won't be alive when the answers arrive! :(
Don't they think that there was 1 extra particle of matter for every billion particles of dark matter or something like that? They "should have" been equal. I read up and watch a lot of videos about this stuff. There's so much I don't understand, but it still fascinates me. I try to understand as much as I can.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Don't they think that there was 1 extra particle of matter for every billion particles of dark matter or something like that? They "should have" been equal. I read up and watch a lot of videos about this stuff. There's so much I don't understand, but it still fascinates me. I try to understand as much as I can.
That is one of the prevailing theories right now. If there were equal parts matter and antimatter in the beginning, everything would have been annihilated. The math with even some of the "simpler" things can be quite insane... I sent my gf a picture of my notes from one of my classes and she asked if it was a spell. ;)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That is one of the prevailing theories right now. If there were equal parts matter and antimatter in the beginning, everything would have been annihilated. The math with even some of the "simpler" things can be quite insane... I sent my gf a picture of my notes from one of my classes and she asked if it was a spell. ;)
Yup, there is a slight imbalance between matter and antimatter. From what I understand, there are several asymmetries between matter and anti-matter, but I am not a physicist. I just like to read books for the layman by guys like Brian Greene and Leonard Susskind. Hey Nin, are you a physics student?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Yup, there is a slight imbalance between matter and antimatter. From what I understand, there are several asymmetries between matter and anti-matter, but I am not a physicist. I just like to read books for the layman by guys like Brian Greene and Leonard Susskind. Hey Nin, are you a physics student?
Yes Shady, I'm going back for another degree in Engineering Physics. I was a cosmetic chemist, but couldn't fathom formulating lipstick for the rest of my life. Fortunately, the worst lab job I ever had was the final impetus that got me to return back to school. I will be starting my final year next month. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I can't find the video, but apparently we had a very close near miss from a city killing asteroid very recently. Scientists saw it after it went past us at about 1/3 of the distance to the moon. I guess it was a few kilometers across. Not an extinction event, but enough to take out a whole city. Scary stuff, and we didn't even see it coming. :eek:

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I can't find the video, but apparently we had a very close near miss from a city killing asteroid very recently. Scientists saw it after it went past us at about 1/3 of the distance to the moon. I guess it was a few kilometers across. Not an extinction event, but enough to take out a whole city. Scary stuff, and we didn't even see it coming. :eek:
That would take out a lot more than a city- Meteor Crater in Arizona is a mile across and about 550' deep, caused by a meteor that was between 30 and 50 meters in diameter.

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/science/kring/epo_web/impact_cratering/enviropages/Barringer/barringerstartpage.html

highfigh

highfigh

A one followed by a hundred zeros. Once all matter and energy disappear time will cease to have meaning also. Pretty bleak future for our universe.
Time only has meaning if someone/something is there to observe it, IMO. Otherwise, it's just something that "passes" and allows things to happen when they can't occur instantaneously.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Time only has meaning if someone/something is there to observe it, IMO. Otherwise, it's just something that "passes" and allows things to happen when they can't occur instantaneously.
I think cause and effect come into play. When there's nothing left to cause an effect time loses all meaning. So yes, someone there to observe then time exists.

highfigh

highfigh

It's nor a heat death scenario, it's just the fact that there is norhing left, just probably atoms flying around, no structure, no... anything... our understanding of physics makes this an inevitable end state.
Not sure anything happens without at least a little heat gained or lost.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Time is something we have no clue about..... at least I don't.

As fas as I understand all time and space exist somewhere, we are passing through spacetime in a linear fashion, that means that all events that occured in our lifetime exists in spacetime somewhere else, we just don't see it anymore, our birth, our first day at school still exist in spacetime.... even our death exist in spacetime already somewhere....

How this is possible is way beyound my comprehension of physics.

Guess we humans still have some more things to research.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

As fas as I understand all time and space exist somewhere, we are passing through spacetime in a linear fashion, that means that all events that occured in our lifetime exists in spacetime somewhere else, we just don't see it anymore, our birth, our first day at school still exist in spacetime.... even our death exist in spacetime already somewhere....

Boy do we ever!

I picture it in my head as the smallest possible slices of every moment in time existing all at once. Like a deck of cards, if that makes sense. We can only flip the cards in one direction. Time can be considered the 4th dimension of spacetime.

highfigh

highfigh

One definition I have seen is: time is relevant when matter moves through, or rotating in, space. It can't be in two places at once, it can't move to a different location and its polar orientation or attitude can't change instantaneously. The 4th Dimension is Time, the first three define space as we know it. Still trying to wrap my head around the other dimensions and I think we're up to about 12 or 14 Dimensions, now.

highfigh

highfigh

And then the Quark said "I'm so hungry I could eat a Lepton".

Sorry.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Different physical theories call for different numbers of both spatial and time dimensions. None of them have been made predictions that have been observed though. The scale that observable effects of the predictions that these theories work at is so small they are unlikely to ever be verified, at least through particle collisions. Presently string theory is at an impasse as theorists work for ways to make their theory testable.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
BTW folks, I forgot to mention that Hopkinsville, Kentucky supposedly has the best seat in the house for the upcoming eclipse. I mentioned Madisonville, Kentucky b/c it is only 26-miles from Hoptown. They are expecting nearly 200,000 people for the event. No need for me to get around that traffic mess. Madisonville is certainly close enough for me. Hoptown is only 76-miles from me to begin with. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

I read Hawking's book 'A Brief History Of Time'. A few times. At first, it was clear as mud, but I caught on as I went.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis