highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Extreme heat is an issue in modern railroading with the CWR I mentioned in the previous post. Not enough joint expansion can cause 'heat kinks', thus when temps become excessive speed restrictions are usually put in place.

I would think a 2 hr drive in the direction of NYC would make much more scheduling sense.
Thinking about expansion joints, the heat would cause major problems when it's near the tracks over a long span- localized, not such a big deal but when it starts trying to shove the sleepers into a curve or worse, a curved bridge, it gets ugly.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Thinking about expansion joints, the heat would cause major problems when it's near the tracks over a long span- localized, not such a big deal but when it starts trying to shove the sleepers into a curve or worse, a curved bridge, it gets ugly.
not exactly sure what you're trying to say regarding my post you quoted ? But I was referring to the difference between stick rail(the kind that you hear the 'clickity clack') and continuous welded rail. The latter having far less rail joints to help deal with expansion / contraction issues.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
For those interested ...........

it should be rolling through Greenville Jct, Me around 2000 hrs tomorrow, westbound. Here's the VRF link .....

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
VRF 'grab bag', note the CP (now CPKC) Holiday train rolling through Elkhart @ the 8:48 mark

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Were those antique passenger rail cars at the end of the holiday train?
No, they were the 'home away from home' for all the entertainers and staff as train travels throughout North America ! While they may be antique by age they are quite nice and accommodating inside !

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Anyone ever take a train out of Florida to Pennsylvania? I'd like to look into a train from Jacksonville to Pittsburgh.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Anyone ever take a train out of Florida to Pennsylvania? I'd like to look into a train from Jacksonville to Pittsburgh.
You have several options........

An overnight train up the coast to either Wash or Philly. There's then a daily train out of DC to Chgo(Capital Ltd) which stops in P'burgh around midnight or the train out of Philly (Pennsylvannian) which gets into P'burgh around 1930-2000 hrs.

Here's some schedules to look at.........

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
health report on the Nations Class 1's ..........

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I thought cabooses were a thing of the past.
they are, that was 'tongue-n-cheek' !

today when old cabooses are used they are done so primarily in a capacity of what we call 'shoving platforms', safe areas for a brakemen to ride while performing a switching maneuver

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
There is one where I live down in the yard. It is an old all green BN. It is clearly labeled 'shoving platform'.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Greencastle, Pa. Norfolk Southerns 'Crescent Corridor'. I remember 10 plus years ago how they touted to the amount of tonnage they would take of the I-81 interstate. I doubt they got more than 10% of what they figured !

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis