Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I was up to Greenville Jct, Me this past Saturday for their 'Depot Day', good turnout, raised a nice amount of $$ to continue with the restoration project and even had a CP freight roll through

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
CWR......... continuously welded rail, it's the mainstay of modern railroad mainline infrastructure. Here's a 'cool' vid showing how a Thermite weld is formed..............

Last edited:
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Just heard the Adirondacker is starting back up. It is great news as my wife will need to be going to the city a few times for Dr. visits and I am having to drive 2 hours for her just to get the train.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Just heard the Adirondacker is starting back up. It is great news as my wife will need to be going to the city a few times for Dr. visits and I am having to drive 2 hours for her just to get the train.
I've ridden the Adirondack several times over the years. What station does she board at ? Would a 2 hr drive get you to Utica, Schenectady or Amsterdam ? Much more frequency of trains to NY from either one.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I've ridden the Adirondack several times over the years. What station does she board at ? Would a 2 hr drive get you to Utica, Schenectady or Amsterdam ? Much more frequency of trains to NY from either one.
2 hours gets us to Albany/Schenectady. She would get on either at Westport or Plattsburgh. Apparently this mess was due to heat on the tracks in Canada becoming unsafe.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Extreme heat is an issue in modern railroading with the CWR I mentioned in the previous post. Not enough joint expansion can cause 'heat kinks', thus when temps become excessive speed restrictions are usually put in place.

I would think a 2 hr drive in the direction of NYC would make much more scheduling sense.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Yeah. We will see. Her first trip down is next Sunday so once she books the return I will know.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Interesting news with respect to NS and CN ........

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
cool pic, tough to tell if they are concrete ties or composite ?

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Yeah, they look like composite, but that's just a guess.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Great+Smoky+Mountains+Railroad+On+Canvas+by+Lori+Deiter+Print.jpg

If you're standing on those tracks, you'd better get off now.

The great Smoky Mountains.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Interesting. Maybe they can find a way to cut down on the squealing.:)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Interesting. Maybe they can find a way to cut down on the squealing.:)
the majority of the squealing you hear is actually wheel flange to head of the rail contact, usually in conjunction with tight radius curves. That is why in many main line areas where that is a concern the RR's install lineside 'greasers' that apply grease to the inside head of the rail as the train passes.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
one of the many fallen flags ! I've ridden over the former Milwaukee several times while heading west on the Empire Builder

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
A great train is the cog railway that goes to the top of Mount Washington in NH. The Cape Cod Railway goes from one end of the cape to the other. Took part in a murder mystery dinner ride on it about this time of year many years ago. My grandfather made a point of taking all the grandkids on an old steam train because he was afraid they were all going away. Great to see so many still running.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Cog Railways are quite amazing, the Manitou and Pikes Peak Railway that climbs out of Manitou Springs, Co has recently gone through a major renovation. It's not uncommon to experience a 50 degree temp change from base to summit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis