Teac Reference MD-X220 (CR-H220 cd/receiver and LS-H220 speakers) Review

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Seth=L,

Thanks for the review and follow up on the Teac CR-H220. I've been looking for a receiver to use in my wife's office to drive a pair of Klipsch Heresy's. I'm a fan of the Teac LP-700 three channel, but for her office a receiver will be the ticket. If I'm understanding correctly the Teac AG-H800 receiver is a tripath amplified unit. The CR-H220 would be nice for the office with the combo CD player, but I'm thinking that the CR-H220 is not use a tripath amplifier. Is this correct? Thanks. Any thoughts appreciated.
The Teac AG-H800 uses a tripath amplifier for the output stage, that is correct.

The Teac CR-220 uses a class A/B amplifier. The sonic differences should be minimal with an edge to the Class A/B IMO. Class T is more efficient and a derivitive of Class D switching amplifiers that is supposed to closely resemble the sonics of a class A/B.:)

D

daddy dee

Audiophyte
Thanks Seth

This is helpful to my process. Thanks for your take on that.

Darth Mike

Darth Mike

Audioholic
Although I bet a few cabinet and xover mods could help, it's a shame those speakers sound so bad, they are nice looking and I'd buy one of those for my room if they had better sound...

Maybe just the amp with somemore control ones and a small sub? :rolleyes:

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Although I bet a few cabinet and xover mods could help, it's a shame those speakers sound so bad, they are nice looking and I'd buy one of those for my room if they had better sound...

Maybe just the amp with somemore control ones and a small sub? :rolleyes:
I tried the JBL N24s with the Teac while I had the system in my bedroom I paid less than $80 for the system, I am not complaining (I got $20 out of the speakers:D) The Teac powers my Boston Acoustics HD10s to levels that suit me for my apartment.:)

Darth Mike

Darth Mike

Audioholic
I tried the JBL N24s with the Teac while I had the system in my bedroom I paid less than $80 for the system, I am not complaining (I got $20 out of the speakers:D) The Teac powers my Boston Acoustics HD10s to levels that suit me for my apartment.:)
That's cool I had Boston Acoustics HD7's and loved them til I needed to redo the surrounds and parted them out and made my Boston/Yamaha Hybrids I still use.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
That's cool I had Boston Acoustics HD7's and loved them til I needed to redo the surrounds and parted them out and made my Boston/Yamaha Hybrids I still use.
It seems you have downgraded, you aren't like me are you?:D

I used to have some pretty cool stuff. I had preamp/amplifier seperates, PSB floor standing speakers and plenty other cool stuff, but somewhere along the way I found Audioholics, and it all changed.:D

Darth Mike

Darth Mike

Audioholic
It seems you have downgraded, you aren't like me are you?:D

I used to have some pretty cool stuff. I had preamp/amplifier seperates, PSB floor standing speakers and plenty other cool stuff, but somewhere along the way I found Audioholics, and it all changed.:D
I always trade my stuff with a friend or find a car I want so I swap hobbies until I am momentarily happy. I have upgradeitis in like 4 different hobbies. I have a deadly strain of the virus.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I continue to be blown away by the Teac. I keep thinking one day I will turn it up loud enough to hear it strain, but I have yet to get it to do what with the Bostons. I was listening to Paul Oakenfold and felt completely floored (too load really). Now if I could only get that M&K MX-100 working it would fill out what little bottom end the Bostons are missing.:)

J

jj69

Audiophyte
Anyone know where I can find one of these systems at this point? I searched online, but Amazon is out.

Any other online sources out there?

Does COSTCO still have them in-store?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Anyone know where I can find one of these systems at this point? I searched online, but Amazon is out.

Any other online sources out there?

Does COSTCO still have them in-store?
You can look at J&R, they offer some Teac micro components.:)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks, but I don't see the 220 on their site, nor do I see anything even close.
The CR-H220 is no longer available, it's outdated. The CR-H227 is the most current model, J&R should still sell it. Teac may not do the full system anymore (speakers and head unit) but chances are you wouldn't like the speakers much anyway. The ones that came with mine looked "ok" and sounded horrible.;)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks Seth, but $349 is a long way from $99. :(
LOL, I got mine for $70 after shipping because it was a refurbished model. You might get lucky and see one pop up on ebay every now and again. I haven't seen them in the past couple months, however I haven't been looking for them so much now that I have one.;)

I will keep my eyes and ears peeled, and I will let you know if anything turns up. I can post here and send you a PM.:)

J

jj69

Audiophyte
Thanks Seth. Who had them for $70 shipped? Amazon?

A place called OrangeChimp has the receiver along for $99 refurbished. Looks like they sell primarily refurbished items, but they seem to mark them up too much.

I used to have the address and phone number of the CA company that does the actually refurbishing for Teac. I bought some items direct from them about four years ago. If you still have the warranty card for your Teac system, it may have the phone number right on it. I know the company was called "Tri-" something or other. If you have the #, please LMK.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks Seth. Who had them for $70 shipped? Amazon?

A place called OrangeChimp has the receiver along for $99 refurbished. Looks like they sell primarily refurbished items, but they seem to mark them up too much.

I used to have the address and phone number of the CA company that does the actually refurbishing for Teac. I bought some items direct from them about four years ago. If you still have the warranty card for your Teac system, it may have the phone number right on it. I know the company was called "Tri-" something or other. If you have the #, please LMK.
Mine didn't come with a warranty card.:( To be honest, even at $100 it's still a good deal. There isn't much different from that one and the new CR-H227 (minus iPod dock and USB port). The amp section is the same, as well as the CD player.:) Amazon had it for a while, I actually got mine on Ebay for a bit more. I had money in my Paypal and Amazon won't take Paypal.

J

jlk

Audiophyte
Seth, thank you for your original review.

jj69, I purchased a refurbished black TEAC MCD85 without speakers from OrangeChimp for $50 delivered and am quite pleased with it, they show up on ebay frequently, just search TEAC cd player. It was low risk ($50) and it is a gem. If you search "MCD85" on the OrangeChimp website you will locate a refurbished MCD85 in silver with speakers for $56.00 plus shipping.

Thanks again Seth for your review.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis