Teac Reference MD-X220 (CR-H220 cd/receiver and LS-H220 speakers) Review

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Seth, thank you for your original review.

jj69, I purchased a refurbished black TEAC MCD85 without speakers from OrangeChimp for $50 delivered and am quite pleased with it, they show up on ebay frequently, just search TEAC cd player. It was low risk ($50) and it is a gem. If you search "MCD85" on the OrangeChimp website you will locate a refurbished MCD85 in silver with speakers for $56.00 plus shipping.

Thanks again Seth for your review.
jlk, thanks for your contribution.:) I have never seen that system, but it looks pretty nice. I am sure the picture does it no justice.:D Have you had any operational issues with it, such as the CD player. Does the CD player make a lot of noise, I know mine does (not enough to really bother me however).;)

J

jlk

Audiophyte
Seth, I have only had it about a month but I have had no operational issues
with it at all. The CD drawer is smooth and I do not hear any noise during playback. The black unit that I have weighed in at the same weight as the
CRH-220, about 10 pounds, which is the same weight as the current TEAC Reference Series. The 200 and 300 Reference Series are rated at 25 and 50 watts per channel and have more features but also cost $349 and $399 respectively. Your original review along with rave reviews about TEAC mini systems in the UK led me to believe that TEAC mini systems were worth trying. I think that TEAC has technology and manufacturing process trickle down that gives these lesser known and especially refurbished mini systems great value.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I think that TEAC has technology and manufacturing process trickle down that gives these lesser known and especially refurbished mini systems great value.
Sometimes, this is not always the case. They don't make good speakers, but they can make excellent electronics.:) The speakers that came with the system, as before mentioned, where just awful.:eek:

Thanks again.:)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
This thing is still going strong. It is now running my Boston Acoustic CR 57s along with the Magnavox subwoofer. The subwoofer does surprisingly well, and would womp any subwoofer that comes with a PC speaker system other than probably the highest end Logitech system. It's on-board amplifier is rated 100 watts RMS (which is easy to believe when the power consumption is 175 watts). Of course the wattage doesn't mean a whole lot. The cabinet has integrity, it's heavy for a 6.5" subwoofer. The port doesn't make noise and it moves a fair amount of air. I have yet to hear the amplifier clip or the driver stress from too much power (I realize it's harder to hear amplifier clipping on a subwoofer).

The Bostons where $79+tax NIB, the Teac was $69+15 shipping Refurb in box with speakers. I bought the sub at Goodwill for $15+tax. I sold the Teac speakers that come with the system for $20, that covers shipping and most of the tax. All in all, the system was $165 accrued over a little more than a year.

Flat out amazing performing system for under $200. Not only does it sound great, it looks spectacular as well. You know you really have something good when you still get that "newness excitement" from gear you've had for some time.

Thanks to all for contributing to this thread.:)

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
"Newness Excitement".... just don't get that off a street corner.... :D

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
"Newness Excitement".... just don't get that off a street corner.... :D
Very true. Glad it still excites!!! I can tell you my sub still gives me that newness excitement as it approaches 1 yr of age...:)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Still getting that newness excitement from the Teac. Still running it with the CR 57s and Magnavox subwoofer. I decided to put wool socks in the rear ports of the Bostons, it evens up the x-over point a bit.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis