Teac Reference MD-X220 (CR-H220 cd/receiver and LS-H220 speakers) Review

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord

OVERVIEW

The Teac Reference MD-X220 system is one of the neatest, and finest executive micro-systems I have seen for under $300, and also one of the heftiest. The system is comprised of a the CD/receiver unit (CR-H220) and a set of stereo speakers with 4" mid-bass drivers and a 1" textile dome tweeter (LS-H220).

BUILD QUALITY AND ERGONOMICS

With Teac it seems that their stuff is hit and miss in the build quality. Some of their products are rebadged units from Chinese off brands and others are exceptional for the money. Lets face it, some of Teac's sound systems are nothing short of completely helpless, with cheesy head units and even worse speakers, but the Reference series is something else entirely, as its name suggests, it is their best of mini-systems. It seems this series gets far more attention in Europe than in the States.

A couple notes, first this system is refurbished and has a few cosmetic flaws, no major ones that affect the sound and functionality of this unit. Second, this system is from 2004. The newer versions have RDS and DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) tuners as well as USB interface. The newer models that replace the head unit are the CR-H225 and CR-H250 (the CR-H250 is the only one that supports DAB. The main unit has a thicker aluminum face plate and a semi-busy front panel with about 15 buttons or so. It has a nice finish with cherry veneer wood panels on the sides that match the speakers. The receiver makes a solid click when standby is deactivated and moments later there is a second solid click. The head unit itself weighs around 10 pounds and the speakers weigh about 7-8 pounds a piece. The rear of the main unit reveals the three inputs (aux 1 with loop, aux 2, and tape with loop), mono subwoofer output, Toslink digital output, and lastly the binding post terminals for the speakers. This photo shows the rear of the speakers as well, they also have binding posts. The speakers are also very well shielded. Most speakers, even center channels interfere with my JVC TV when placed directly on top, these did not interfere. Surprisingly, the magnet structures where quite large on the woofer and tweeter, but the crossover was just a resistor and a small capacitor and the wires where soldered in place.

The remote control has small, soft push buttons. Most functions can be accessed from the remote aside from a few features such as tonal controls and the dimmer option. This remote is not going to be good in the dark, but that is to be expected with most any micro-system.

Here are some more photos of the receiver unit from the inside.

Inside top
Inside heatsink
Inside, opposite to the heatsink side

The Sound

I decided to try Aimee Mann from the Magnolia Soundtrack. "One" revealed these speakers aren't very capable. The midrange was bloated, the lower to mid highs where way too low and the upper highs where grainy and bright. The sound is was very stale with no soundstage, very boring and tiresome to listen to these speakers.

I also tried U2 "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. The results where similar, but the bass was decent for the speaker size, not great though, kind of wobbly but not boomy.

(I connected the receiver unit to my Infinity IL10 bookshelf speakers with significant improvement. The receiver sounds like a receiver with those speakers, and it has the lowest noise floor I have heard on any amplifier. The power is more than enough for my small bedroom, and unlike most other micro-systems I have used it doesn't force the low frequencies out of the speakers [the JVC FS-1000's amplifier did not perform at all with lower frequencies, and just as well the subwoofer output was cut off around 40 hz]. The CR-H220, CR-H225, and CR-H250 can be purchased separately without speakers, but given the price I paid for mine as a system it was better to get the speakers with it.)

CONCLUSION

For the price paid, and these are still available at Amazon and Ebay (AvantQ ebay store), the value for this system is pretty good. If you can, look for the newer models (CR-H225 and CR-H250) and use your own speakers with the CD player/Receiver. Any relatively efficient speaker with an easy load such as the Onix X-LS would work great with these receivers.

I will finish this review with a couple more pictures of the front of the system with grills on and then removed.

Grills on
Grills off

Last edited by a moderator:
no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
Nice review of a nice looking mini system, Seth. :cool:

And yeah, Teac is weird about what they make/sell; cheep crap clock radios, and some dang nice gear... it's weird.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Very nice review Seth. Good to check out the stuff. Next time review something I want though :p. Hopefully I will be able to follow suit and get a review out for my speakers soon since I have been asked to a couple times I just need the time.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Very nice review Seth. Good to check out the stuff. Next time review something I want though :p. Hopefully I will be able to follow suit and get a review out for my speakers soon since I have been asked to a couple times I just need the time.
I review what I can afford and practically use.:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Nice review of a nice looking mini system, Seth. :cool:

And yeah, Teac is weird about what they make/sell; cheep crap clock radios, and some dang nice gear... it's weird.
Yeah, they range from crap like this,
Lame Crap

to this,
Esoteric

Huge contrast.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
OK, this is annoying. I can't figure this out. I did a Google search for this thread by entering the make/model/and "review" and I did not get this thread in the results. I quoted the thread title and it still didn't give me this thread. So if someone is interested in getting something like this and is looking for a review, they aren't going to find it, I find that frustrating.:mad:

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I would like to add that the FM tuner in this unit is quite good, better than the one in the JVC RX-DP9V.:eek: I can't comment on the AM reception, as I don't listen to AM therefore I don't know if it is doing a good job or not.;)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Pro & Cons!
Rating Scale!
Pictures of the back of the speakers and Receiver!

Nice review.

SheepStar

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Pro & Cons!
Rating Scale!
Pictures of the back of the speakers and Receiver!

Nice review.

SheepStar
I decided not to do the pros and cons because all should be answered in the review. The pictures are included via hyperlinks.;) I even took some internal shots.:D

I considered a rating scale, but opted against that as well because I don't have test equipment to rate most of the scaled items, and just as well, no real basis to look from (no controls in this experiment:D).

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Don't change a thing. I also liked it because I have struggled with my bedroom system for a while now.......just not sure what direction it should go. And I have seen quite a few of the mini systems while working in my clients homes..........so I found the review interesting. Do it again!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Don't change a thing. I also liked it because I have struggled with my bedroom system for a while now.......just not sure what direction it should go. And I have seen quite a few of the mini systems while working in my clients homes..........so I found the review interesting. Do it again!
I see, well once I have enough overhead (not gonna happen very soon) I will probably review stuff more frequently, but not at the discretion of the manufacturer more than likely.;)

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
I can personally attest to the ultra low noise floor. We hooked his Teac up to my PSB 600i's last week and both of us were damn hard pressed to hear anything at max volume..... and it drove those speakers reasonably well.... (although I'm sure those speakers could choke that amp).... :cool:

I give it two thumbs up :)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Just an update since this thread has been revived, the Teac is stilling running strong with no error and I use it quite frequently. I got rid of the speakers that came with it because to my ears sounded pathetic.

What I think is great about this unit is that many micro systems don't have much power and have a weak low-end, perhaps intentionally because they are designed to work with the provided speakers that lack extension anyway. But with the Teac you get a performance standard that allows it to sound good with other speakers, which makes perfect since being that you can buy the unit and speakers seperately. So if you wanted to get just the CD player/Receiver unit and get your own speakers to save some dough (not likely to get as good a deal as $60-$100 when getting it without the speakers as a refurb like I did as the unit alone originally retailed for $300-$400 for just the receiver unit.:)).

I would like to add I really like Teac for having the half-width reference series, all their reference series products are just beautiful and from my understanding are stellar performers for their size, maybe not so much the price because you are paying for the aesthetics of these units if you buy new. Finding a used, dated, or refurbed piece from Teac can present an outstanding deal a good example would be the Teac Distinction series A-D1 integrated amplifier which is a very good piece for around $100 on amazon.com.:)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I can personally attest to the ultra low noise floor. We hooked his Teac up to my PSB 600i's last week and both of us were damn hard pressed to hear anything at max volume..... and it drove those speakers reasonably well.... (although I'm sure those speakers could choke that amp).... :cool:

I give it two thumbs up :)
I hadn't even realized you made a contribution to the thread.;)

I was surprised at how well the Teac handled the PSBs, if you remember that pic of the Teac unit I have powering those $10,000 some speakers at an expo somewhere then obviously someone else realizes that it a decent enough piece to power those. (the pictured speakers have small efficient drivers in a large cabinet which works well for smaller amplifiers;):D)

D

daddy dee

Audiophyte
New guy

I'm new to the forum and have found my way here looking for info on Teac units using tripath amplification. Having browsed around, I like the forum.

My interest in audio is mostly in the neighborhood of refurbing old Klipsch speakers. I like the way these old horn speakers sound with tube amplification, but have been blown away with some tripath amps such as the Super T amp and the Teac LP-700 three channel unit. They sound so good I wonder why in the heck I need to have the antique tube amps, considering the amount of work and expense they entail.

D

daddy dee

Audiophyte
Thanks Seth

Just an update since this thread has been revived, the Teac is stilling running strong with no error and I use it quite frequently. I got rid of the speakers that came with it because to my ears sounded pathetic.

What I think is great about this unit is that many micro systems don't have much power and have a weak low-end, perhaps intentionally because they are designed to work with the provided speakers that lack extension anyway. But with the Teac you get a performance standard that allows it to sound good with other speakers, which makes perfect since being that you can buy the unit and speakers seperately. So if you wanted to get just the CD player/Receiver unit and get your own speakers to save some dough (not likely to get as good a deal as $60-$100 when getting it without the speakers as a refurb like I did as the unit alone originally retailed for $300-$400 for just the receiver unit.:)).

I would like to add I really like Teac for having the half-width reference series, all their reference series products are just beautiful and from my understanding are stellar performers for their size, maybe not so much the price because you are paying for the aesthetics of these units if you buy new. Finding a used, dated, or refurbed piece from Teac can present an outstanding deal a good example would be the Teac Distinction series A-D1 integrated amplifier which is a very good piece for around $100 on amazon.com.:)
Seth=L,

Thanks for the review and follow up on the Teac CR-H220. I've been looking for a receiver to use in my wife's office to drive a pair of Klipsch Heresy's. I'm a fan of the Teac LP-700 three channel, but for her office a receiver will be the ticket. If I'm understanding correctly the Teac AG-H800 receiver is a tripath amplified unit. The CR-H220 would be nice for the office with the combo CD player, but I'm thinking that the CR-H220 is not use a tripath amplifier. Is this correct? Thanks. Any thoughts appreciated.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis