Tales From the Rabbit Hole

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I assume she doesn't realize that we're never truly "done" until we die?
No :)...but I'm 20 yrs in between updates so if I stay on that update pace she will have forgotten by then.

T

Tankman

Audioholic
No :)...but I'm 20 yrs in between updates so if I stay on that update pace she will have forgotten by then.
umm, Didn't read the whole thread or post but found this one interesting. You guys wouldn't be talking about that rabbit hole from that movie huh? You know the one with the creepy Alice? Don't believe she understood either or? lolo

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
20170620_143332-1305x734.jpg
20170620_143532-1305x734.jpg
20170620_143714-1305x734.jpg
20170620_150045-1305x734.jpg
20170620_150114-1305x734.jpg

It's here! Good lord this thing is big! And heavy! That is not going to be its permanent home. I definitely have to get a more stout AV rack or TV stand. It looks pretty goofy sitting up there like that right now. I have to rethink things a little bit, it's bigger than I expected it to be.

What I have done so far is run the rca's (using the connections on the ends, with the cc in the middle as @KEW suggested), hooked up the speakers and ran the trigger cord from my avr to the amp. I have yet to plug the power cord in. I've never done this before and I want to make sure I'm not going to royally screw something up. I've seen a lot of posts about turning the amp off first and turning it on last (or vice versa?). I don't know how the trigger works.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
umm, Didn't read the whole thread or post but found this one interesting. You guys wouldn't be talking about that rabbit hole from that movie huh? You know the one with the creepy Alice? Don't believe she understood either or? lolo
Huh?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
View attachment 21400 View attachment 21401 View attachment 21402 View attachment 21403 View attachment 21404

It's here! Good lord this thing is big! And heavy! That is not going to be its permanent home. I definitely have to get a more stout AV rack or TV stand. It looks pretty goofy sitting up there like that right now. I have to rethink things a little bit, it's bigger than I expected it to be.

What I have done so far is run the rca's (using the connections on the ends, with the cc in the middle as @KEW suggested), hooked up the speakers and ran the trigger cord from my avr to the amp. I have yet to plug the power cord in. I've never done this before and I want to make sure I'm not going to royally screw something up. I've seen a lot of posts about turning the amp off first and turning it on last (or vice versa?). I don't know how the trigger works.
I'm certain ATI designed "pop suppression" into that amp.
Don't worry about sequencing your power on's just turn down the Marantz before you start so the music doesn't start too abruptly louder than you like!

There may be some obscure optimal sequence of power up to offer some long-term benefit, but not something that is going to damage your equipment in the mean time. Fire that bad boy up!!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If the Marantz is like the Denons I've got you can set start-up volume as an automatic thing....

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Uh huh and you thought a amp in a receiver could compete with that beast. You'll soon see went people go with separates and rave about them. Can't wait to hear what you say.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

P

Puglover

Audioholic Intern
I also can't wait to hear what you think about adding the amplifier to your system and your thoughts on the differences you notice.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I had a feeling this might happen. I'm not getting anything from the new amp. Is there something I need to go into the SR6011 settings to assign those channels or something?

I'm in amp assign mode on it right now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I had a feeling this might happen. I'm not getting anything from the new amp. Is there something I need to go into the SR6011 settings to assign those channels or something?

What is the setting you currently are in? On the Denons, and I thought Marantz as well, the pre-outs are live generally....

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai

I didn't have to do anything with my Yamaha. Just plugged it and it worked. No settings or anything.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yes.
Setup>Speakers> Manual (if you don't have the patience to run Audyssey at the same time:))>Amp assign

Oops, that doesn't do it.
The pre-outs should be live.
Also note that I use a SR-7008 so they may have changed something!

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
gryph
I believe you are on to something there about hobbies. Just about every hobby I can think of has a beginning purchase threshold to get started. Then there are the initial improvements. Then comes having a spare or "another one". Then comes specialization. Then comes "just because I can and you can't".

I knew a lady for years before I found out her hobby : she threw darts competitively. As in a professional tournament circuit for dart board folks. She traveled all over the country and even internationally to throw darts. And of course, you can't just use any darts like you'd get at Walmart. Nope. Big bucks were involved even for something I didn't even know was "a thing".

Its one of the most interesting things about hobbies: finding out how involved people get and how they justify the time and expense. Golf is a great example. Forget how much it costs (it can cost as much as any hobby) look at how much time it takes. Depending on your job, your family size, age of your kids, the WAF factor, carving out 3 to 4 hours for 18 is no small thing. Yet, golfers manage it and the expense as well.

Its one of the few concessions to growing older: I've had to cut back on the number of hobbies. I just don't have the time or the financial wherewithal to really get out and enjoy all the things I would like. So, I've cut it back to a shorter list and I get to spend more guilt free time with those I still pursue. Like music and audio.

Great points, pretty much how most of my hobbies go and how they always seem to progress.
Fast cars, off road trucks, motorcycles, ATV's, etc....all ate up lots of time and money. There also the legalities and dangers involved with certain activities that have made some of it less attractive as I've gotten older.
And while I love archery as a discipline and fun relaxing activity that gets me outside a whole bunch, collecting things like guns has lost it's appeal as I just don't care about having a bunch of stuff sitting in safes that doesn't actually get used.
At least with the audio/video gear I can always use it and enjoy the output even if and when my tastes in music might change.
And as far as a hobby goes, if you have the disposable income and enjoy switching up AV gear all the time, well more power to you.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I know this may sound dumb but make sure you hooked the amp up to the pre-outs and not the analog inputs.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What is the setting you currently are in? On the Denons, and I thought Marantz as well, the pre-outs are live generally....
We have contact captain! I have music and it sounds really good. I hit the gain on one of my subs messing around back there so I'm gonna do an Audyssey measurement and get them level matched again. Then I'm going to play...

Might have helped if I plugged them into the preouts instead of the inputs... :confused:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
This amp has a trigger option.
I'm thinking there has to be a way to tell it not to require a trigger to come on.
Is the power button going blue when you press it or another color (not that I know this works that way, but some will be yellow in "stand-by" then blue when active)

Edit: I see you solved it!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This amp has a trigger option.
I'm thinking there has to be a way to tell it not to require a trigger to come on.
Is the power button going blue when you press it or another color (not that I know this works that way, but some will be yellow in "stand-by" then blue when active)
I'm good Kurt. I had it plugged into the input section...

Trigger is working too. Everything seems good to go. Just gotta get a stand that'll work with all my stuff.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
We have contact captain! I have music and it sounds really good. I hit the gain on one of my subs messing around back there so I'm gonna do an Audyssey measurement and get them level matched again. Then I'm going to play...

Might have helped if I plugged them into the preouts instead of the inputs... :confused:
There it is, it happens, people do, do it. Now do some listening and prepare to be amazed. An ATI designed amp will blow awesome a receiver amp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis