Tales From the Rabbit Hole

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Balls out man. I got the seven Channel. It just seemed silly to only get 3 or 5 when the extra channels are so cheap, respectively.
WTF! Get out! idk you got the amp as well!

You go dog!

Balls to the walls...money well spent...now you need to figure out to buy a sound proof door for wifey!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Stay away from the Monoprice speaker mounts. They are pretty bad. Get the ones William recommended to you, or this one. They are much better than the Monoprice mounts, believe me.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
One more thing, before you take the Ultra bookshelf speakers down to make room for the towers, do an A/B comparison between the two to see what the difference is. My guess is that you will see the difference is slight.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
One more thing, before you take the Ultra bookshelf speakers down to make room for the towers, do an A/B comparison between the two to see what the difference is. My guess is that you will see the difference is slight.
I second that actually.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I was gonna mention that too. I would play the same reference tracks and memorize every detail and transient and all the dynamics that you can stand. Then listening to see how those are different. It'd also be interesting if you could do as mentioned and set the BS on top of the towers and A/B them. I won't voice any predictions but I AM super pumped for you.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Arriving on pallets! Talk about intimidating systems!

I always hold my breath on speaker shipments until they get there, so hopefully they arrive safe and sound.

Congrats again!
Damage is always a possibility, but I always feel much better ordering from an ID company. Packing/shipping individual pieces to customers is too much a part of their bread and butter.
Problems usually arise where a package designed to be used for distribution to stores (like Best Buy or Walmart -by truck unitized/bundled to a pallet with forklifts) is used to send a single box via UPS or FedEx.
My UPS guy is liable to drop a box 2' onto my driveway (instead of bending over and gently placing it). A pallet would never see that short of a serious accident.

2channel lover

Damage is always a possibility, but I always feel much better ordering from an ID company. Packing/shipping individual pieces to customers is too much a part of their bread and butter.
Problems usually arise where a package designed to be used for distribution to stores (like Best Buy or Walmart -by truck unitized/bundled to a pallet with forklifts) is used to send a single box via UPS or FedEx.
My UPS guy is liable to drop a box 2' onto my driveway (instead of bending over and gently placing it). A pallet would never see that short of a serious accident.
My HSU subs came via Fedex ground and the boxes didn't look beat up at all so I guess it just depends. I agree palletized does offer some degree of comfort.

I'm not sure if it's fortunate or unfortunate but I worked for Fedex and UPS and different points in my life...I worked in the hub...scar tissue.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Tracking info updated. Speakers should be here Thursday and the amp (unbelievably) arrives sometime today. I ordered both on Sunday.

It looks like they overnighted my amplifier. Is that normal for Monoprice? (Not that I'm complaining!)

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Tracking info updated. Speakers should be here Thursday and the amp (unbelievably) arrives sometime today. I ordered both on Sunday.

It looks like they overnighted my amplifier. Is that normal for Monoprice? (Not that I'm complianing)
Dude you are in for a treat very soon. I'm not sure you understand just how much though yet. I'm thinking of coming over for a listen just to see your face when you hear what that stand alone amp can do with that speaker setup. You really have no idea just yet.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I totally plan to do just that. I've talked about and suggested BS speakers over towers many times here. Even still, I'll always pick bookshelf over a tower if it means compromising quality.

I've fallen pretty deep into the rabbit hole. I want these towers as much for the look as I do sq. I anticipate my UBS to sound every bit as good as the towers. I'm going to have a lot of fun hooking the towers up tho and I assure you, they'll be thoroughly enjoyed. I really want to see what they can do full range.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Dude you are in for a treat very soon. I'm not sure you understand just how much though yet. I'm thinking of coming over for a listen just to see your face when you hear what that stand alone amp can do with that speaker setup. You really have no idea just yet.

Where do you live?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I live in the little coastal state of NJ.

That's a bit of a drive! If you were closer I'd have no problem inviting you over. I don't have many friends into this hobby. In fact, most of them think I've completely lost my mind. Then they go buy a new gun, bow, quad, sand toy or something. This is my only vice when it comes to expensive toys.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
That's a bit of a drive! If you were closer I'd have no problem inviting you over. I don't have many friends into this hobby. In fact, most of them think I've completely lost my mind. Then they go buy a new gun, bow, quad, sand toy or something. This is my only vice when it comes to expensive toys.
We are carbon copies my friend. Same situation here. People think I'm insane but I know a guy with over 130 guns. This my hobby and I'm sticking to it so ha!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
We are carbon copies my friend. Same situation here. People think I'm insane but I know a guy with over 130 guns. This my hobby and I'm sticking to it so ha!

Told my buddy about the speakers and amp. I'm all excited about it and he just shook his head. Kinda hurts a little to be honest. Makes me feel like telling him to f*ck off, but then I'd have to do that with all of my friends because they all shake their heads at me. Sigh.

I was bitten by this bug when I was a child. I've always loved hifi audio. My kid is grown now and I have a little money to spend. Blast the naysayers!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Told my buddy about the speakers and amp. I'm all excited about it and he just shook his head. Kinda hurts a little to be honest. Makes me feel like telling him to f*ck off, but then I'd have to do that with all of my friends because they all shake their heads at me. Sigh.
I know, I know all about it believe me I do. Everything you just said I've been through too. A lot of us have I think. People just don't know good home theater sound. They don't get it and I've stopped trying to convince.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This forum is the only place where people get my excitement over this stuff. This forum also educated me a lot and helped me spend some money... :p

I don't regret it. Everything I have is bought and paid for. Some of the stuff went on a credit card, but was paid off by the end of the month. I could see some attitude from my friends it if I was going into debt and blowing off bills, but... whatever.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
This forum is the only place where people get my excitement over this stuff. This forum also educated me a lot and helped me spend some money...

I don't regret it. Everything I have is bought and paid for. Some of the stuff went on a credit card, but was paid off by the end of the month. I could see some attitude from my friends it if I was going into debt and blowing off bills, but... whatever.
I'm in debt, oh well. Can't take it with you right? Forums are the only place that gets it and I email a couple home theater product manufacturers and they of course get it and love the enthusiasm.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You might try inviting one or more of your friends over and suggesting they bring their favorite CD (even better if you have a DVD/BD of a concert they would like) or you can find a classic action movie (with a quality audio track) they'd like from netflix to play.
They might still not get the amount of money you've spent, but I'd think they would at least admit that it is kind of cool to have that SQ for music and the solid LFE for HT in your home!

2channel lover

I was bitten by this bug when I was a child. I've always loved hifi audio. My kid is grown now and I have a little money to spend. Blast the naysayers!
I play golf basically every weekend, so I do have another "hobby", but I'm not a member at some swank country club. It's not nearly as expensive as it sounds. Hifi music has been a passion for a long time for me as well. I told one of my golf buddies about some of my new toys and he said he's into Hifi also. He was telling me about his system and I didn't want to pre-judge. Atmos was not Chinese to him so I'll have to see what he's working with.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis