SVS Ultra Speakers Loudspeakers

S

scattershot

Audioholic
The Focal Solo6 Be use the same drivers with Active crossovers and include amplification for $2700/pr. In this case, you save a bundle by going with Pro gear. While they are not quite so stylish as the 1008 Be, I think they are good looking speakers.
They are more articulate than the Paradigm Sig 2 or the Salk SongTower (they are the most articulate speaker I have ever heard)!

Solo6 Be studio speaker. Focal Professional studio monitor loudspeakers
[/url]
Hi KEW:

Interesting that you were able to compare them to the Paradigm Signature 2 which were the speakers at the top of my list in the price range I was looking for before I posted in this thread.

Did you try any of the below speakers? Wonder if you noticed what I did and what your thoughts were on the Focal Chorus 806 V (which were in my $1500-$2500 MSRP per pair budget).

As I mentioned earlier I tried the Focal Electra 1008 Be ($5000 a pair MSRP):
Focal Electra 1008 Be: high end bookshelf hifi loudspeakers
in an acoustically treated room with just the 2 bookshelf’s hooked up and they sounded GREAT. Really they had NO weaknesses and were perhaps the finest bookshelf’s I have ever heard. The music sounded extremely accurate and warm, and the soundstage / horizontal axis sounded awesome. The problem being is that at this time $5000 a pair (MSRP) is definitely out of my price range. I might be able to go as high as $3500 a pair (MSRP) since obviously there will be some wiggle room on price but $5000 is likely to be noticeably out of my price ranger (since I need 5 identical speakers).

I then went and tried the Focal Chorus 806 V ($2000 a pair MSRP):
Focal Electra 1008 Be: high end bookshelf hifi loudspeakers
These speakers were NOT in an acoustically treated room. To my mind they sounded noticeably less impressive (and bright at times) but then again the room for these were a regular show floor. There were harsh enough at times that I am not sure I can consider them.

In regards to the Focal Solo6: The receivers I am considering don't have XLR jacks, but as your review said you can use a unbalanced RCA output (From pre-outs) as well.

----- ----- ----- ----- -----
I will be running the 5 identical bookshelfs with either:

a single SVS PB13-ULTRA
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb13-ultra#.UHpYL1HEfAw

or a dual setup PB12-PLUS / $1,399.00
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb12-plus#.UHpYSlHEfAw

Lastly I forgot to mention that my receiver currently is the Onky 809:
http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-NR809&class=Receiver&p=i

I generally upgrade it every 1-2 years and by a similar class receiver (e.g. around $1200 MSRP) but that's about all I can afford on a receiver if I upgrade very often.

Not sure if any of the models you recommended aren't ideal for that class of receiver.

Your review here was very informative thank you:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/59911-focal-solo6-vs-paradigm-s2-vs-salk-songtower-pt1.html

Last edited:
S

scattershot

Audioholic
And sorry guys didn't mean to hijack this thread with bookshelf comparisons.

I REALLY love the SVS subwoofers and to me they are the best bang-for-buck in the industry so I am really looking forward to hearing how their first generation bookshelf's (the Ultra's) do.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
As a former dissapointed owner of the RB-81 II's (I like music and they just weren't very clear although great for movies and off-axis listening) I'd love to see how these compare to them and how they compare to the following bookshelfs:

•Klipsch Bookshelf Speaker RB-81 II
RB - 81 II Bookshelf Speaker | Klipsch
($1100 per pair)

•Paradigm's Signature and Studio series
Signature S2 - Welcome to the New Official Paradigm® Website.
Studio 20 - Welcome to the New Official Paradigm® Website.

• Tannoy Definition DC8 Bookshelf:
Tannoy - Residential - Summary

Looking forward to seeing how SVS stands up, I'd be interested in a 5.1 speaker system using 5 identical bookshelf speakers!

I am looking for the most accurate bookshelf's I can find in the $2000/pair range (but under 20" tall because I am limited in height). I prefer cleaner and more accurate sound then a horn speaker like Klipsch offers.
If anyone has any suggestions in the $1500-$2500 MSRP range please share your info as we eagerly await the SVS info.

Thanks.
Some reading for you....

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/general-av-discussions/67150-2010-great-northwest-gtg.html

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/67725-bookshelf-audition-list.html

This article adds the Nate's Audio T5... Nate's Audio T5 Review. Little Dawg, Big Bark. ...a worthy competitor in your price range.

Lastly, I haven't heard these new SVS speakers, but the old MBS's were pretty darn nice...detailed and neutral to the max.

My favorite of all these, FWIW, the Salk Ellis 1801B's. If cabinet elegance is in your vision, these would definitely be your choice, I believe. The price is in your wheelhouse, and if you can, I'd highly recommend an audience.

Good luck in your search.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hi KEW:

Interesting that you were able to compare them to the Paradigm Signature 2 which were the speakers at the top of my list in the price range I was looking for before I posted in this thread.

Did you try any of the below speakers? Wonder if you noticed what I did and what your thoughts were on the Focal Chorus 806 V (which were in my $1500-$2500 MSRP per pair budget).
I did not try the 806V, by the time I listened to the 1028Be's I had decided that I needed either Be or ribbon tweeters.

This decision, right or wrong, was based on listening to the Paradigm Studio 20's (which I had bought because I liked their sound and I wanted a common reference point for evaluating other speakers in my home) and the RBH 61-LSE
Face-Off III: RBH 61-LSE — Reviews and News from Audioholics

What I found was that the soft-dome tweeter of the 61-LSE had a beautifully open sound, but the Al tweeter of the Studio20's brought extra shine to cold steel (triangle, chimes). The problem with the Al tweeters was they had a slight "sizzling bacon" distortion component to the sound on cymbals. I would guess the absence of shine was because the soft dome didn't have as much extension. Graphs of FR show the soft dome going to the High Frequency limits of hearing and I don't pretend to have special cat hearing, but this is what I heard!
I next tried the Sig 2's and it's Be tweeter was the best of both worlds! It was completely open and clear like the RBH soft-dome while having the "shine" of the Studio20 without the distortion (this is not egregious distortion, mind you).
On the basis that the RBH has one of the better soft-dome tweeters and that the Studio20 has one of the better Al tweeters, I made the decision that Be was a optimal tweeter for me. Later, I listened to ribbon tweeters and they have the same character as Be (but dispersion is not as good).
For my main system, I want the dispersion because I am walking through the room, moving around while music is playing. In other words, I am living life and every now and then the music grabs my attention! So I probably end up at about 95% background music and 5% critical listening. For someone who dedicates time to listening and stays in the sweet spot, ribbons are an excellent alternative. I am replacing my Songtowers with Philharmonic3's and am curious to see how much better the dispersion is with the Raal ribbons.

Here is my writeup of the Studio20's vs the RBH 61-LSE
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/611254-post54.html

HTH
Cheers,
Kurt

One thing to add is since Paradigm's sales are relatively high volume, you can often find used Sig 2's on Audiogon for a good price. But if you want extreme articulation, the Solo6's are the trick.

Last edited:
S

SnowmaNick

Junior Audioholic
This conversation seems to have gone pretty far afield. Scattershot, you may get better info on all those other speakers by starting another thread.

(Please don't take any offense, I'm just noticing this is a thread about the new SVS Ultra speakers, and the last several posts have been about almost anything but)

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
For my main system, I want the dispersion because I am walking through the room, moving around while music is playing. In other words, I am living life and every now and then the music grabs my attention! So I probably end up at about 95% background music and 5% critical listening. For someone who dedicates time to listening and stays in the sweet spot, ribbons are an excellent alternative. I am replacing my Songtowers with Philharmonic3's and am curious to see how much better the dispersion is with the Raal ribbons.
I doubt your songtower ribbons had poor dispersion. What you hear was probably the midrange driver's dispersion + high crossover point. The Neo8 in the Philharmonics has very wide dispersion, the result is that the Phils sound great even from another room.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I doubt your songtower ribbons had poor dispersion. What you hear was probably the midrange driver's dispersion + high crossover point. The Neo8 in the Philharmonics has very wide dispersion, the result is that the Phils sound great even from another room.
Maybe. I just know that when I stand up and walk to the AVR the Songtowers sound nowhere near as good as the other speakers I have. Obviously that is not a design criteria for speakers. But I will be delighted with any improvements realized by the Phils. :)

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
I had an opportunity to listen to the Ultra towers today. Very impressive, and an interesting design to boot. Great low end due to the dual 8" drivers at the base and from a looks/ sound perspective, the best value of the day.
I also got to chat with Mark Mason, the designer of the ulta line, he filled me in on the tower crossover design's differences from a d'appolito setup and explained the tri-mode ( bi pole,dipole and dual or split)design of the surrounds. Very interesting, especially for people wanting a 7.1 but only having the room depth for a 5.1. Very affable and informative guy!

My only complaint was that they had the 5.1 setup with the bookshelf speakers for mains at a right angle to the 2 channel rig and we couldn't experience both. I didn't get a chance to listen to the ht rig as this is primarily a 2 channel show. I did notice that the bookshelves were within a couple of inches from the wall though. I asked Mark about this and he explained that the room measurements suggested that the placement was optimal.
They should have had two rooms IMO.
Cheers, Mac

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Maybe. I just know that when I stand up and walk to the AVR the Songtowers sound nowhere near as good as the other speakers I have. Obviously that is not a design criteria for speakers. But I will be delighted with any improvements realized by the Phils. :)
If I understand what you've described, it isn't caused by the ribbon tweeter's lack of vertical dispersion. It isn't caused by the tweeter at all. I hear the very same thing with my STs with the ¾" dome tweeter.

The woofers handle the upper midrange/lower treble up to about 2.5 to 2.6 kHz. Because there are two drivers producing the same signal, you hear signal addition if your head is vertically between the two woofers – like when you're sitting. But there can be cancellation if you rise above the pair, or drop below them. As soon as I stand up, I hear a change in the sound balance. It seems to affect the upper midrange more than the lower midrange or bass. Depending on the music, it can make the bass sound more prominent, or the midrange becomes more recessed.

For lack of a better term, I call this "the MTM vertical effect".

Does that make sense, or are you talking about something else different?

S

scattershot

Audioholic
Guys I apologize for hijacking this thread which is supposed to be about discussing the VERY exciting new SVS Ultra Speakers.

I welcome (and encourage hehe) KEW and FirstReflection and others who have a lot of experience with a variety of high-quality bookshelfs to follow the discussion here:

"Bookshelf Speaker Recommendations ($1000 - $2500 and $2500 - $5000 range discussion) "

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/82057-bookshelf-speaker-recommendations-$1000-$2500-$2500-$5000-range-discussion.html#post914450

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Will there be upgrades available? Ribbon or soft dome tweeters. After having soft dome tweeters, I'm not sure I could to back harsh sounding aluminum dome tweeters. My PSB Alpha B1's sound harsh compared to my EMP E55's.

Is there a distance recommendation from side walls because of the 8" woofers?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Will there be upgrades available? Ribbon or soft dome tweeters. After having soft dome tweeters, I'm not sure I could to back harsh sounding aluminum dome tweeters. My PSB Alpha B1's sound harsh compared to my EMP E55's.
My EMP E55tis sound harsh compared to my Philharmonics :cool: :D - but I can certainly go back for casual listening.

ON topic though, I wouldn't be so quick to judge on driver material alone at all.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
ON topic though, I wouldn't be so quick to judge on driver material alone at all.
Do you know of some speakers with Al tweeters that don't have distortion issues?
My Studio20's were pretty good, but when I A/B'ed them it became obvious there was a "sizzling bacon" component in the sound of cymbals.
I haven't listened to too many speakers with Al tweeters - I have categorically ruled them out until I discover otherwise!
Thanks!

R

ridikas

Banned
Still shipping on the November 20th? How come we still don't have full specs? Where are the full comprehensive NRC measurements? All very important info to have for a potentially amazing product :)

On a side note: The woofers are all Peerless HDS glass fiber. The tweeters are Dayton RS28A. If SVS gets the crossover right, this should be one KILLER line of speakers. Probably could compete with speakers at any price level.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Are they shipping on the 20th? I signed up to get e-mailed info, but I haven't received any.

R

ridikas

Banned
Are they shipping on the 20th? I signed up to get e-mailed info, but I haven't received any.
That's what the Audioholics preview says...

I was reading the thread and saw some negative comments on aluminum tweeters, which couldn't be further from the truth. The Dayton RS28A tweeters are of such high quality, that they are certainly in the top 10 best tweeters in the world currently:

(in no particular order)

Dayton RS28A
Dayton RS28F
Vifa XT25TG30-04
SB Acoustics SB29RDCN-C000-4 Neo
ScanSpeak Discovery D2608/9130 HDS
SEAS Prestige 27TDFC
SEAS Prestige 27TBFC/G
Scan-Speak Revelator (various)

The same can be said for the Peerless HDS glass fiber woofers (all come with shorting rings in the motor). Their only competition is a couple of woofers made by SB, Seas, and Scan-Speak Revelators.

inikad

inikad

Audiophyte
Any news about these speakers? They were supposed to be released on november the 20th but they don't appear in speakers line on SVS website and no one seems to have test them, neither to order them.

Last edited:
N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
I emailed them to inquire and looks like the release might be pushed back into December. Hopefully they will post more concrete info soon.

inikad

inikad

Audiophyte
I emailed them to inquire and looks like the release might be pushed back into December. Hopefully they will post more concrete info soon.
Thank you for the last news. I'm really curious to read first reviews about them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis