SVS Ultra 16 Subwoofers

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I doubt you'll have buyers remorse going with Seaton....my past experiences with Acoustic Elegance and now TSAD...they both sounded better than the past Ultra.... IMHO. Likely, after my last two subs... I've since... being chasing my tail and why I elected to go in the direction...I did.

You know what your getting when the Seaton name is on it....:)

O no, I know. It's just I've had such good luck with my SVS subs (total fanboy) that I would've loved to have had the option to at least look into the 16's. At this point I'm not looking back, irrespective.

DJ

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
O no, I know. It's just I've had such good luck with my SVS subs (total fanboy) that I would've loved to have had the option to at least look into the 16's. At this point I'm not looking back, irrespective.

DJ
Yea....I started off as a fan...my first real foray into subs came when I purchased the pb10 nsd...I only dreamt of owning the ultra models at that time.

Fast forward a couple of years...I eventually had a custom sub built and it was amazing, likely why I was never truely impressed with either of the Ultras. They clearly lack midbass presence...this is where guys like Mark, Jeff and Nathan...really fine tune every micro aspect of their designs which explains why they do so well at gtg.

In the past year or so...I heard several types of commercial subs or otherwise and the trend it would seem in the DIY community is regaining some mid-bass deficiency once they've achieved their low end goals....its that visceral effect that is amiss with the older Ultras...and other commercial sub potentially...thou the newer Ultra units look very menacing and will likely fair well at both ends... hopefully?

Sales impact will be huge.... I suppose.... it's the nature of beast that is Svs...nowadays.

I'd suspect that Audioholics will be one of the first to review one of the said Ultras....just hope its JR doing the full spectrum analysis...:)

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Fast forward a couple of years...I eventually had a custom sub built and it was amazing, likely why I was never truely impressed with either of the Ultras. They clearly lack midbass presence..>>>

In all due respects, what in the heck does that mean?:eek:

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Fast forward a couple of years...I eventually had a custom sub built and it was amazing, likely why I was never truely impressed with either of the Ultras. They clearly lack midbass presence..>>>

I think I know what he's getting at. He's referring to the midbass thump you get in your chest - for example, the impact resonance from the strike of a snare drum. There are LF fundamentals in stuff like floor toms and drop tuned jazz bass guitars that thump your internals. Those of us who listen 2 channel nearfield get it in spades without EQing or fancy DSPs. Folks who have distance between them and the source have to use other methods or have to have overkill type LF systems to get the same impact in larger rooms.

DJ

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

It means he wants mid bass to be 10 dB hotter than deep bass.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

I think this gets back to the question of a subwoofer with a flat anechoic FR which will generally have bloated low-bass once room gain is factored in; which, without additional EQ, will ultimately result in either a drop out in the mid-bass or a horrendous hump in low bass!
You can reduce this to some degree by keeping the sub away from walls and corners. Room EQ like Audyssey can help, but it is limited to 10dB and room-gain sometimes exceeds that.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Anyone posting here going to purchase a PBU 16?

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Nope, unless the Velodyne craps out in the HT rig.

DJ

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
SVS PB16-Ultra and SB16-Ultra Subwoofers Preview

While the 13-Ultra series of subs proved to be outstanding flagship subwoofers for SVS, many years have passed since their introduction. SVS needed to do something to stir up some excitement among bassaholics, and they have most definitely accomplished this mission with the new 16-Ultra series. These 16" woofer, 1,500 watt subs promise to be more than just a small improvement over SVS's previous standard-bearers. SVS may have good reason for the claim of the 16-Ultras being some of the most advanced subwoofers in the world.

Read: SVS PB16-Ultra & SB16-Ultra Subwoofer Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
some images of the 16-Ultra driver for your viewing pleasure.

ultra16-driver.jpg

ultra16-driver2.jpg

S

seank

Audiophyte
If the amp fails, do you have to ship the whole thing back to SVS?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis