SVS Ultra 16 Subwoofers

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Interested to see measurements from these beasts when they are available.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Since SVS has a 5 year warranty, I am not worried about the caps failing in a few years. I don't think SVS would release a product that would end up backfiring on them like that. Their engineering is very good.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
We've seen amp failures from a lot of sub manufacturers. As long as they support their product, it is not an issue and SVS has ALWAYS been one of the best when it comes to customer service.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Since SVS has a 5 year warranty, I am not worried about the caps failing in a few years. I don't think SVS would release a product that would end up backfiring on them like that. Their engineering is very good.
We've seen amp failures from a lot of sub manufacturers. As long as they support their product, it is not an issue and SVS has ALWAYS been one of the best when it comes to customer service.
All fair points. SVS support, which I never used directly, is rumoured to be exceptional, but my point is this: Using these caps is probably "ok" and they "meet" the requirements for "normal" operation...
All good and valid points, except the subs is clearly TOP END and it's aimed at overkill/over engineered bass market, so why not use slightly more expensive and much more reliable (in average) Japanese caps? Costs savings excuse can't and shouldn't apply here.
And yes, SVS will replace/fix amps if it fails within warranty period, but is it worth the initial savings to SVS for future possible headache?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Now I have subwoofer envy again... I love my PB13 Ultra, but damn that new PB16 is sexy!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So at $2000 for the SB16 Ultra and $2500 for the PB16 Ultra, What is the competition?
Hsu and Rythmik are not up to those prices (you can get a pair of ULS-15's for less than a single SB16 Ultra).

jinjuku

jinjuku

So at $2000 for the SB16 Ultra and $2500 for the PB16 Ultra, What is the competition?
Hsu and Rythmik are not up to those prices (you can get a pair of ULS-15's for less than a single SB16 Ultra).
You can get 2 VTF-15h's for $1800

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You can get 2 VTF-15h's for $1800
In all fairness, we should add shipping (since it is included in SVS's pricing), the pair would be $2035 to Georgia (still well under the $2500 for the Ported 16 Ultra).

With these models, SVS has entered a pricepoint above the traditional mainstream ID sub makers. I was wondering who else made a sub in this price range (among well regarded sub manufacturers).

PSA has the sealed S3600i (2ea 18" drivers) for $1900
Their ported V1300i is $2000

JL Audio has the E112 at the same price as the SB16 ultra.

Funk is higher priced.

I don't know if Seaton offers anything in this range or not.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It looks like SVS is leveraging their brand name to push forward a new flagship product. I imagine their closest competition is something like the new 18"s that Rythmik is coming out with. Hsu does not have anything like these new subs. SVS is probably aiming to take a bigger chunk out of JL Audio's marketshare. Something that has high WAF but performance on the line of JTR or Funk. Goodbye overpriced JL Audio dual driver subs like the G212 and G213.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Something else to keep in mind is that these look to be seriously high excursion 16"s, and more comparable in displacement to serious 18"s rather than 15"s, but we will have to see how they measure.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
In all fairness, we should add shipping (since it is included in SVS's pricing), the pair would be $2035 to Georgia (still well under the $2500 for the Ported 16 Ultra).

I was wondering who else made a sub in this price range (among well regarded sub manufacturers).

PSA has the sealed S3600i (2ea 18" drivers) for $1900
Their ported V1300i is $2000

JL Audio has the E112 at the same price as the SB16 ultra.

Funk is higher priced.

I don't know if Seaton offers anything in this range or not.
Lets not forget JTR Captivators - several models are near same price point

C

class a

Junior Audioholic
On October 29 Audio Video Therapy in NH is having their annual Fall Audio Event. Walter Schofield from SVS will be there. Hopefully he will have a new sub to demo.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Of course, they'd have to press release these 2 weeks AFTER I've purchased a pair of Seatons. Figures.

8" voice coil? Wow!

DJ

Last edited:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Of course, they'd have to press release these 2 weeks AFTER I've purchased a pair of Seatons. Figures.

DJ
I doubt you'll have buyers remorse going with Seaton....my past experiences with Acoustic Elegance and now TSAD...they both sounded better than the past Ultra.... IMHO. Likely, after my last two subs... I've since... being chasing my tail and why I elected to go in the direction...I did.

You know what your getting when the Seaton name is on it...likewise JTR, DSS and Funk.:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis