Speaker damaged/clipping? Or DVD problem?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I dont' have SACD capabilities, but DVD-Audio sounds fine as well. What I've noticed is that music (regardless of format) sound fine. It's movies that I have issues with.

It's really weird. I'm still thinking that it has something to do with movies having more dynamic range than music.
Yeah, you and I may be wrong on this, but I agree. Seems like movies have more dynamic range with a lot more sudden surge of peaks (explosions & even high volume dialogues).

Could it be the audio settings in your PS3? What kind of wire connections are you using again? This thread has been going on for a while.:D

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
Yeah, this thread is really long. I really appreciate everyone's efforts in trying to help me!

I've also ruled out the PS3 as the culprit, as I get the same problems when I play a DVD through the actual DVD player. Both units are connected via optical.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I dont' have SACD capabilities, but DVD-Audio sounds fine as well. What I've noticed is that music (regardless of format) sound fine. It's movies that I have issues with.

It's really weird. I'm still thinking that it has something to do with movies having more dynamic range than music.
It just cannot be the speakers. Dynamic range is not the issue, unless your volume is such that it is reaching the tweeters limits and get audible compression or mechanical stop limits. What happens when you up the volume on any of those music sources that seem to be fine, especially DVD-A that is supposed to be compression free and have plenty of dynamic range.

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
I don't get the crackle on DVD-As even if I crank the volume - same thing goes with CDs.

So far, only on Bluray/DVD/Xbox (in game).

I have the volume set anywhere from 65-70dB.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't get the crackle on DVD-As even if I crank the volume - same thing goes with CDs.

So far, only on Bluray/DVD/Xbox (in game).

I have the volume set anywhere from 65-70dB.
That's not even that high of a volume. When I watch movies or listen to music, my Galaxy Audio SPL meter reads 70-86 dBA. I think the numbers read even higher in dBC.

So I don't think it's too much peak power.

It just makes no sense.:confused:

If music sounds great, then movies should too.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
At this point you just have to pack up everything and go back to using a HTIB, you are over your head...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
At this point you just have to pack up everything and go back to using a HTIB, you are over your head...
That's not funny, Greg.:)
The poor guy is stressed out here and could use some moral support.:D

I say grab a receiver from Best Buy/Circuit City and hook it up. If that solves the problem, then it's the receiver.
Then return the receiver to the store. If the problem continues, pick up a pair of speakers. Then return it after you've done the test.
I have bought and return things in the same day before just for testing.:D

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the support Acu. I'll inform you guys once I do a bit more troubleshooting.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just read on another thread that Totem speakers are great, but are very power-hungry or inefficient. You have a more powerful separate amp to test?
If movies do have more powerful peaks & dynamic range & your Denon can't provide enough power for that surge of dynamic power required, could it be clipping & distorting?

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
Actually, the Totems (Fronts and Center) are being driven by the Anthem MCA30. I believe there should be sufficient power to handle the three speakers. The PSBs in back are being driven by the Denon.

I heard the problem when I was running the Totems with the Denon and thought it might be a power issue, but after buying the Anthem amp, it didn't fix the problem.

The MCA30 has the following specs:

All channels driven, RMS:
8 Ohms = 180W
4 Ohms = 265W
2 Ohms = 340W

The speakers specs are as follows:

Hawks:
6 ohms, 120W max, sensitivity 88 dB.

Rainmaker Center:
8 ohms, 120W max, sensitivity 87.5 dB.

I actually can't relate to what all those specs mean, but I've been told that I should have more than enough power to run the speakers with the amp?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Actually, the Totems (Fronts and Center) are being driven by the Anthem MCA30. I believe there should be sufficient power to handle the three speakers. The PSBs in back are being driven by the Denon.

I heard the problem when I was running the Totems with the Denon and thought it might be a power issue, but after buying the Anthem amp, it didn't fix the problem.

The MCA30 has the following specs:

All channels driven, RMS:
8 Ohms = 180W
4 Ohms = 265W
2 Ohms = 340W

The speakers specs are as follows:

Hawks:
6 ohms, 120W max, sensitivity 88 dB.

Rainmaker Center:
8 ohms, 120W max, sensitivity 87.5 dB.

I actually can't relate to what all those specs mean, but I've been told that I should have more than enough power to run the speakers with the amp?
Oh, yeah. You don't have power problem! The Anthem amp is great & powerful.

Okay, so power is not an issue.

Yeah, the receiver is definitely the next test.

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
I tried something different last night.

I watched scenes with the crackling using stereo instead of Dobly Digital...low and behold, my two fronts crackle as well. The volume I used was significantly lower than I ususally listen to.. (Around 50-55 dB).

I'll be trying the PSBs over the weekend and hopefully a different AVR.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I tried something different last night.

I watched scenes with the crackling using stereo instead of Dobly Digital...low and behold, my two fronts crackle as well. The volume I used was significantly lower than I ususally listen to.. (Around 50-55 dB).

I'll be trying the PSBs over the weekend and hopefully a different AVR.
Wow. I say the AVR is culprit at this point. Hopefull that's it and not the speakers! Good luck! We will stay tune to your results!

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
What would really suck if it was all three speakers! If was the AVR, at least I can get the 4308 Denon I've had my eye on!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What would really suck if it was all three speakers! If was the AVR, at least I can get the 4308 Denon I've had my eye on!
I think the odds of three Totem speakers having defects is pretty low. There is still hope.:D

Yeah, the Denon 4308 is special. Too bad you can't borrow that to test (like buy & return).

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
Technically, I could buy and return. But I personally don't like buy something if I know that I will be returning it.

snickelfritz

snickelfritz

Junior Audioholic
You might be clipping the preamp in your AVR, if this problem is occurring at ALL master volume settings in a given movie.
ie: the problem exists regardless of the playback volume setting.
Try reducing ALL speaker levels in your AVR setup by 3-5db (certainly, the settings should be below "0" reference level in setup) and see if the crackling goes away.

It's also possible that your center channel amplifier is simply clipping or overheating at high levels.
Does the amplifier get very hot?
Is it enclosed in a cabinet with no ventilation?
Relocate the amplifier to a well ventilated location, and with no other components resting on top of it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You might be clipping the preamp in your AVR, if this problem is occurring at ALL master volume settings in a given movie.
ie: the problem exists regardless of the playback volume setting.
Try reducing ALL speaker levels in your AVR setup by 3-5db (certainly, the settings should be below "0" reference level in setup) and see if the crackling goes away.
Now why didn't I think of that?:)
Smart thinking!

R

robbit

Audioholic Intern
I know this sounds bad but...

I'm glad to hear someone else is going through the same thing. I've got a Definitive Technologies center speaker that's doing the same thing. I've talked to numerous people as well and they all seemed just as stumped. My situation is exactly the same: music sounds great (everything from classical to rock) and the movies themselves sound fabulous except for certain sections of dialog (I've heard this in "Letters from Iwo Jima", "Transformers", "Batman Returns" to date).

I think I may try the suggestion of rewiring the speaker to see if this helps. Needless to say, I'll be watching this post to see if you discover anything. Believe me when I say that I wish you the best of luck!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I think I may try the suggestion of rewiring the speaker to see if this helps. Needless to say, I'll be watching this post to see if you discover anything. Believe me when I say that I wish you the best of luck!
I just don't see why rewiring would help the dialogue on some movies and everything else is fine.
If it was wiring, it must affect all signals equally, unless there is a cold joint someplace and that happens to coincide with a center channel just at dialogue.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis