Speaker damaged/clipping? Or DVD problem?

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
I've been noticing that in certain scenes, my center channel makes crackle sound. Especially when there's loud dialouge. This doesn't happen with every movie though - I would say 50% or so. The most noticable is the 5th element BD (the crappy version).

Do you think it's a problem with the speakers or the source itself???

mcotton

mcotton

Audiophyte
Try adjusting the speaker size information in the avr to small. Also check all cables and interconnections. Have you checked that your speakers are in phase?

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
All speakers are set to small. Speakers are in phase (double checked the wires and with phase test on DVD).

Is it possible that the speakers are damaged from when I was driving them with without the separate amp??

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Doesnt sound like a blown speaker if it only does it with certain DVDs or CDs. When you have a blown speaker, you know it. Watch your AVR display and see if it is switching from DD to PL11X when it makes the sound, if so, I bet it's the disc. You can also very carefully push in on the woofers, make certain you use even pressure with your fingers spread out around the woofer and if it's blown you will hear it crackle, rub and feel funny as you do this.

All speakers are set to small. Speakers are in phase (double checked the wires and with phase test on DVD).

Is it possible that the speakers are damaged from when I was driving them with without the separate amp??

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
Doesnt sound like a blown speaker if it only does it with certain DVDs or CDs. When you have a blown speaker, you know it. Watch your AVR display and see if it is switching from DD to PL11X when it makes the sound, if so, I bet it's the disc. You can also very carefully push in on the woofers, make certain you use even pressure with your fingers spread out around the woofer and if it's blown you will hear it crackle, rub and feel funny as you do this.
Thanks for the replies. The AVR display stays on DD/DTS.

I'm not sure what you mean by pushing the woofer and rubbing it?

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
Here you go just like this, got it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've been noticing that in certain scenes, my center channel makes crackle sound. Especially when there's loud dialouge. This doesn't happen with every movie though - I would say 50% or so. The most noticable is the 5th element BD (the crappy version).

I heard the original 5th Element BD had terribe picture, but the audio was great with Uncompressed PCM. Are you using Uncompressed PCM or just the plain old Dolby Digital?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Also, when the "crackle" occurs, is the dialogue in LOW frequency (deep male voice) or during a higher pitch? Would this make a difference?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It may be that sorry old dolby digital. Check out this quote from Audio Video Revolution:

"The quasi-bad news about the DVD version of "Reservoir Dogs" is that, lack of extras aside, it isn’t the prettiest boy on the block. To be sure, part of this is faithful to the release print – although the movie was made in 1991, its processing looks like something out of the ‘70s, with slighted washed-out, faded hues. The print is at least commendably clean.

The sound is advertised as 5.1, which in this instance means that the dialogue is in the center, sound effects and score are strong in the mains and more gently maintained in the rears, with no directional work. Chapter 5 brings a pronounced improvement in the center channel dialogue track, although there seems to be a slight bit of crackling that accompanies the bloody rasping of Roth’s critically injured character."

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you can repeat the sound with 100% consistency on a particular scene and it only happens with particular discs regardless of the level you have your system at (meaning even when the sound is low), then it is the audio track. If it happens on a particular scene but only when you have it cranked up, it is probably something in your system.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Crackles and Pops in general indicate a wiring issue. Specifically, a short. It does not have to be apparant like a loose strand in the speaker wire, it could also be something in the AVR or in the speaker's internal wiring.

Just for kicks, try switching out the center channel speaker with one of the mains. If the crackle continues, then you know its not the speaker.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Crackles and pops can also be signs of a fried voice coil, but I agree, swapping speakers is the quickest way to identify or eliminate the speaker as the problem.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Sometimes cabinet resonance can account for this type of distortion. Again, try those same movies at low levels, perhaps very low with your ears right next to the speaker and switching the center with one of the front left/right speakers.

If it is clipping you can just add an amplifier.:)

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
The crackle happens during the same scene each at the same point. It's usually when there's very loud dialouge. For the 5th Element, I'm watching it in Dobly Digital. I'll give the speaker swap a try. Hopefully, it's the DVD/BD, but I hear it on too many discs for me to believe it's that!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The crackle happens during the same scene each at the same point. It's usually when there's very loud dialouge. For the 5th Element, I'm watching it in Dobly Digital. I'll give the speaker swap a try. Hopefully, it's the DVD/BD, but I hear it on too many discs for me to believe it's that!
So you don't have access to Uncompressed PCM Audio or Dolby TrueHD?
If it is still making that crackle sound even with extremely high quality sound, it has to be either the receiver or speaker.

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
Unfortunately, I dont' have an HDMI AVR - that's next on my list. I tried the "push" test with the cone, but was unable to hear anything. I haven't tried swapping the speakers yet though.

Has anyone heard the non-remastered BD of the 5th element? (The picture quality was junk! High resolution dust particles!) That's the worst by far. The other scene that I know for sure that crackles is in the 300 BD. The scene where Leonidis (sp.?) says "what do you do for a living?" "I'm a potter".....
"SPAAARTANNNSSS!! WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING!!!" "AAAAWWOOOOO!!"

It crackles right when he says "SPPAARTTAANNSS!!"

I originally thought that it was my AVR not driving my speakers properly, so I bought the AMP. But, same problem. I concluded it was just the disc itself, but after hearing it on other discs, I'm a bit concerned. Especially with the non-remastered 5th element disc.

Can someone with the 300 BD see if it happens on that scene?

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
300 is perfect on my system. Something seems wrong but I dont think it's a blown speaker. Like I said earlier; you know it when a speaker is blown.

Unfortunately, I dont' have an HDMI AVR - that's next on my list. I tried the "push" test with the cone, but was unable to hear anything. I haven't tried swapping the speakers yet though.

Has anyone heard the non-remastered BD of the 5th element? (The picture quality was junk! High resolution dust particles!) That's the worst by far. The other scene that I know for sure that crackles is in the 300 BD. The scene where Leonidis (sp.?) says "what do you do for a living?" "I'm a potter".....

I originally thought that it was my AVR not driving my speakers properly, so I bought the AMP. But, same problem. I concluded it was just the disc itself, but after hearing it on other discs, I'm a bit concerned. Especially with the non-remastered 5th element disc.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't have any sound issues with 300 either. I will check that specific scene though.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The other scene that I know for sure that crackles is in the 300 BD. The scene where Leonidis (sp.?) says "what do you do for a living?" "I'm a potter".....

I have that 300 BD.
I did not notice the crackle when playing uncompressed audio or dolby trueHD, but I will check that scene out again carefully with just Dolby Digital and let you know when I get home from work today.

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
Thanks for your help guys. I'm a bit new at this hobby, so I don't know what a blow speaker sounds like. I ran my PSB 4Ts, both with their tweeters blown, for months without realizing what it was. Then I learned not to karaoke on this type of equipment. Trial and error!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis