Speaker damaged/clipping? Or DVD problem?

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
Almost there Greg.

Sigh.. still didn't get a chance to change the speakers around to test.

Now, I'm curious - what does it sound like when a speaker is blown?

The crackling I hear is definitely present in most movies. Especially when people are yelling. I can hear it at all volumes (even when very quiet).

I'm more along the lines of acudefguy - I think something is damaged. Maybe it's not blown. Maybe something came loose inside the cabinet.

I don't know what a speakers sounds like if it's blown. What does it sound like if only one of the woofers are blown? or just the tweeter?

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe if you step away from your new sub for a few minutes you can figure it out. Believe me; you wouldnt be nonchalant and still messing with your sub if you had a blown tweeter or woofer. Do you have a calibration disc; if you do, pop that puppy in and turn your system to 75 db and you will know what is blown.

Almost there Greg.

Sigh.. still didn't get a chance to change the speakers around to test.

Now, I'm curious - what does it sound like when a speaker is blown?

The crackling I hear is definitely present in most movies. Especially when people are yelling. I can hear it at all volumes (even when very quiet).

I'm more along the lines of acudefguy - I think something is damaged. Maybe it's not blown. Maybe something came loose inside the cabinet.

I don't know what a speakers sounds like if it's blown. What does it sound like if only one of the woofers are blown? or just the tweeter?

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
Haha.. Greg Cable, I think you've got me figured out. So are you saying that a blown tweeter or woofer would make some horrible noise? Or that it wouldn't make any sound at all? Or horribly distorted sound?

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Any of the above may be true but you know it when you hear it.

Haha.. Greg Cable, I think you've got me figured out. So are you saying that a blown tweeter or woofer would make some horrible noise? Or that it wouldn't make any sound at all? Or horribly distorted sound?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When I blew my speaker, I could not hear any sound at all. Total silence. No matter what I hooked the speaker to---different receiver or amp, no sound at all.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Here's how a thread about a blown speaker should go:

OP- I just blew my speaker

2nd poster- That sucks; order you a new woof or tweet

3rd poster- Man I hate when I do that; oh well you will be up and running in no time.

OP- Got my new woof in; glad to have my sweet system back up and running

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
Well, I finally got around to doing a speaker swap.

I still get the "buzz" sound and it seems like it's coming form the tweeters. I also noticed that the buzz sound comes from the fronts in movies as well. I still haven't heard this in music.

I'm going to borrow another AVR and see if that helps.

Maybe it's just that Totems are ...junk?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

I still get the "buzz" sound and it seems like it's coming form the tweeters. I also noticed that the buzz sound comes from the fronts in movies as well. I still haven't heard this in music.

You said you swapped the speakers but was it the same brand?
Is that buzz, there in DVD pause mode, stopped mode or only when it is playing? With music, is it the FM radio, a CD player input or the same DVD input? Is it tweeter frequency?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Man, it's bugging me that we can't seem to solve your "buzzling/crackling" speaker problem!

So next up will be a different AVR?

Then after that will be another brand of speakers?

You have a HT store around the corner that you can just buy & return without a problem?:D

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
The speaker swap was to try one of the fronts as the center to see if it still made the crackle sound.

I wish I could return the speakers and try something else, but that wouldn't be an option. If it's a problem with the speakers, the best I can hope for is that it'll be fixed under warranty.

Next up is to try the PSBs as the fronts/center and see if it still makes the sound.

If it still does, then I'll try a new AVR.

If that doesn't help, I don't know what else to do.

I'm kind of doubting that it's the AVR now, especially since I never had this problem with the PSBs in the front.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
This is just weird and I am getting sick of it; does anyone live near Bloodstriker so they can just run over and see what the issue is?

The speaker swap was to try one of the fronts as the center to see if it still made the crackle sound.

I wish I could return the speakers and try something else, but that wouldn't be an option. If it's a problem with the speakers, the best I can hope for is that it'll be fixed under warranty.

Next up is to try the PSBs as the fronts/center and see if it still makes the sound.

If it still does, then I'll try a new AVR.

If that doesn't help, I don't know what else to do.

I'm kind of doubting that it's the AVR now, especially since I never had this problem with the PSBs in the front.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
While I have not read through this thread, I have skimmed it.

J_garcia is dead on if it is specific points in the sources that are always cracking at any volume then it is the source. Now from the length of this thread I don't entirely think this is the problem.

The next solution is agarwalro's about the wiring especially since you have switched speakers and still have the problem. Use a new set of wires and check out the problem if the new wires solve the problem then you know it was them. I have a good feeling about this problem.

If these aren't the problem, I would try a whole different type of speaker, perhaps your PSBs. Lastly, I would worry about the receiver that just seem like it would be the problem.

Where do you live btw. I am sure someone will come and help you out.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
All the way up in Vancouver, BC.
I think sheep is up there. Maybe his speakers will settle the speaker issue.
Or his components, including the player.:D
Is this specific to some CDs? All of them? DVDs?

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
CDs are fine - even on 5 channel stereo or PLII.

The problem is on movies - whether it be DVD/HD DVD/Bluray. Whenever things get a bit loud (especially when people are yelling) the problem presents itself. Even on low volumes, it's noticable if I go close enough to the speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
CDs are fine - even on 5 channel stereo or PLII.

The problem is on movies - whether it be DVD/HD DVD/Bluray. Whenever things get a bit loud (especially when people are yelling) the problem presents itself. Even on low volumes, it's noticable if I go close enough to the speakers.
Okay, so 2-Ch music being MATRIX sounds great. Did you try SACD or DVD-Audio 5.1?
Maybe the receiver's SURROUND sound decoder is compromised.

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
Okay, so 2-Ch music being MATRIX sounds great. Did you try SACD or DVD-Audio 5.1?
Maybe the receiver's SURROUND sound decoder is compromised.

I dont' have SACD capabilities, but DVD-Audio sounds fine as well. What I've noticed is that music (regardless of format) sound fine. It's movies that I have issues with.

It's really weird. I'm still thinking that it has something to do with movies having more dynamic range than music.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis