Spam on Audioholics

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Consider it an outlier? Move on and use the reporting feature again?

As to tjamesculver, haven't noticed any particularly spammy posts that I can think of....what is he spamming?
Look a little closer at the posts he quotes in his replies, especially his replies to himself (which he does often).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Look a little closer at the posts he quotes in his replies, especially his replies to himself (which he does often).
Ya mean I gotta read all of them? I'll just keep an eye out, but the threads he started look okay.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Ya mean I gotta read all of them? I'll just keep an eye out, but the threads he started look okay.
They look ok at first glance - by design. He makes what appears to be a real post/reply with a quote, but he edits the quote to include hidden spam links. Notice how he replies to himself with a quote of his first post - and a spam link now in the quote.

Other spammers here make seemingly banal replies or new topics, then go back a couple days later and edit their post to include spam links.

The thread he started this morning is a perfect example.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They look ok at first glance - by design. He makes what appears to be a real post/reply with a quote, but he edits the quote to include hidden spam links. Notice how he replies to himself with a quote of his first post - and a spam link now in the quote.

Other spammers here make seemingly banal replies or new topics, then go back a couple days later and edit their post to include spam links.

The thread he started this morning is a perfect example.
Ok, just looked at today's post....I see the OP and then him quoting it but see no particular links/spam (or any difference from the quoted post). Not sure what that's an example of....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
A thought suddenly occurred to me: Maybe the moderator called me an asshole and suspended me for a week because he didn't see that what I was reporting as spam was indeed spam?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Like I said, he added the words "gun rack" in the 2nd to last paragraph of the quoted post and those words have an embedded link.

Here's another example of the same spamming technique:

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/got-to-love-math-she-said-yes.123400/page-2#post-1608031

He added a bunch of text and a spam link to the post he quoted.
Didn't notice that, just looked at a glance as same block of text....but when I hover on the gun rack I now see the link.....but that's a weird place for one! Thanks for pointing it out in more detail....

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Ok, just looked at today's post....I see the OP and then him quoting it but see no particular links/spam (or any difference from the quoted post). Not sure what that's an example of....
In today's posts, he changed his quoted post of himself to add the words "wholesale hdmi cables" with an embedded link in those words.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In today's posts, he changed his quoted post of himself to add the words "wholesale hdmi cables" with an embedded link in those words.
I had no idea the links were there....does it pop up more depending on how you view the forum or something? Still, very weird place/method to put spam.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
I had no idea the links were there....does it pop up more depending on how you view the forum or something? Still, very weird place/method to put spam.
Spammers have had to get more creative/tricky because the obvious spam gets seen and removed quickly in most forums. These techniques are more subtle and are obviously working because most people here don't seem to notice. But there are dozens and dozens of examples of this on here.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Spammers have had to get more creative/tricky because the obvious spam gets seen and removed quickly in most forums. These techniques are more subtle and are obviously working because most people here don't seem to notice. But there are dozens and dozens of examples of this on here.
How effective is spam no one knows is there or is there some devious subplot I'm missing here? Who clicks on stuff like that anyways?

ps or who finds that stuff....

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
How effective is spam no one knows is there or is there some devious subplot I'm missing here? Who clicks on stuff like that anyways?
Good point. It's not very effective at all.

But from their point of view, it's free advertising. And if only one out of one hundred spam post ends up in somebody clicking the link, it might be worth their effort.

From my point of view, it's annoying garbage that litters forums all over the internet. Some are very quick to delete such posts, while other forums don't seem to care. The problem with not caring is that spam that doesn't get removed just invites more spam. Some forums get overwhelmed with it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good point. It's not very effective at all.

But from their point of view, it's free advertising. And if only one out of one hundred spam post ends up in somebody clicking the link, it might be worth their effort.

From my point of view, it's annoying garbage that litters forums all over the internet. Some are very quick to delete such posts, while other forums don't seem to care. The problem with not caring is that spam that doesn't get removed just invites more spam. Some forums get overwhelmed with it.
They only benefit if someone finds/clicks on such a link? I guess it makes as much sense as the idiots trying to spam me on the phone....

As long as you'd have to go looking for such an odd link/phrase think spam like this isn't all that important for cleanup efforts unless there's some way the moderator can see it without whoever reports it providing a specific place to find it? I see some basic posts with obrious spam links and report them.....they don't seem to last long.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Another example:

Dunno why people have been rude/dismissive to Beave or treating this thread like it’s an annoyance.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
They only benefit if someone finds/clicks on such a link? I guess it makes as much sense as the idiots trying to spam me on the phone....
Yes, exactly.

As long as you'd have to go looking for such an odd link/phrase think spam like this isn't all that important for cleanup efforts unless there's some way the moderator can see it without whoever reports it providing a specific place to find it? I see some basic posts with obrious spam links and report them.....they don't seem to last long.
But many of them are completely obvious and still here. For example:

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/pc-motherboards-manufactures-stepping-up-their-audio-game.125966/#post-1607084

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/pc-motherboards-manufactures-stepping-up-their-audio-game.125966/page-2#post-1607386

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Oh, that's sneaky. Looks like someone needs to ban him.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is it possible the poster isn't the one doing the inserting, i.e. must he be doing it deliberately?

ps and yes, if so, definitely get rid of it!

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Is it possible the poster isn't the one doing the inserting, i.e. must he be doing it deliberately?
Oh, it's definitely deliberate. It's a common spamming technique. Like I said, they've had to get more creative than just doing obvious spam posts. It happens on forums all over the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis