Room EQ systems for AVP/AVR users thread

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
How big is your room?

Did you occupy the nulled spaces to experience what it actually sounded like ? :D
Like tinnitus without bass :p :D
A mic and some software are useful, if you have options for speaker placement.

Real ones cannot be fixed by EQ but fake ones can be much improved.
I lucked out because the response in my seating position is good.
How can you tell the difference?

- Rich

RichB

RichB

What? You hear ringing sounds in the null areas? :eek:

I thought it was just a lack of bass in the null?
Joking.

Just a lack of bass. You should try it sometime with a 40 Hz tone. It is an interesting experience.

As far as RC is concerned, moving the MIC around very small movement of the MIC changes the measurements pretty dramatically.
This may account for many multi-position RC making modest changes in the higher frequencies.

- Rich

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, I noticed that the only thing DEQ changed was the bass - it made the bass sound much better. But it did not do anything to the rest of the sound. The result was mellifluous at all volume level - crystal clear and detailed sound with full punchy "musical" bass. Otherwise, I would not have like DEQ so much. :D
It is supposed to elevate the surround channel levels too, to compensate for our decreased sensitivity to low frequencies and surround channel contents at lower SPL.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I have found the Holy Grail!

This Russian article exhaustively compared different flavors of Auto Room EQ, Audyssey 2EQ, MultiEQ XT32, Yamaha YAPO RSC and Pioneer Advanced MCACC. Then the author even compares the best auto EQ results to manual EQ using a FBQ2496. As is that wasn't enough, the author makes this a tour de force by comparing XT32 with Advanced Room Correction 2 (computer based software PEQ). The full list,

1. Audyssey 2EQ (summary based on the old measurement receiver Onkyo TX-N717)
  2. Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 in the receiver Onkyo TX-NR818
  3. Advanced MCACC in the receiver Pioneer SC-LX56
  4. YPAO RSC in the receiver Yamaha RX-A2010
  5. Manual editing of the subwoofer using the Behringer FBQ2496
  6. Manual editing of the front speakers using the Behringer FBQ2496
  7. Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 program ARC2 (Advanced Room Correction 2)
Break out the popcorn machine and enjoy...

http://www.ixbt.com/multimedia/acoustics-correction.shtml

English translation link,

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http://www.ixbt.com/multimedia/acoustics-correction.shtml

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I use single point YPAO from my RX-V1800 and I'm happy with it.

RichB

RichB

Like this, note DEQ compensates less and less as frequency increases.

View attachment 13832
The volume levels vary between 10 to 20 DB.
Were those taken at the same volume level?

Yes, same volume same everything.
That would certainly explain why folks like it with a baseline increase of 5 DB louder.
It makes it difficult to compare the DEQ On/Off.

When I ran Audyssey on the AV8801 it adjusted to surrounds 3 DB too high.
I sense a pattern here :p :D

- Rich

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

That would certainly explain why folks like it with a baseline increase of 5 DB louder.

- Rich
It is dynamic so the lower the volume level the higher the boost, relatively speaking. It also boosts the surround effect but I have not tried to measure that yet.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have found the Holy Grail!

This Russian article exhaustively compared different flavors of Auto Room EQ, Audyssey 2EQ, MultiEQ XT32, Yamaha YAPO RSC and Pioneer Advanced MCACC. Then the author even compares the best auto EQ results to manual EQ using a FBQ2496. As is that wasn't enough, the author makes this a tour de force by comparing XT32 with Advanced Room Correction 2 (computer based software PEQ). The full list,

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http://www.ixbt.com/multimedia/acoustics-correction.shtml
Naturally, Audyssey XT32 is the smoothest and best. ;)

Audyssey Pro would be the ultimate. :cool:

There is a great reason IMAX & DARTs use Audyssey Pro, instead of the other software. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

- Rich
The salient point is, even when you decrease the master volume by 5dB or whatever is comfortable, the sound is still better and fuller with DEQ than without DEQ.

For example, normally my master volume is set to -20.0 when DEQ is off.

When I turn DEQ on, the master volume is then set to -25.0. But now the sound is fuller, bass is punchier, tighter, more musical - it is now more DYNAMIC. But the SPL is the same.

My peak volume is still 94dBC with or without DEQ. With DEQ on, I turn the master volume down to maintain the comfortable volume level.

So it's not like we listen to 90dB without DEQ, and then all of the sudden listen to 100dB with DEQ. We do know how to turn down the volume.

Bottom line, no matter what is on, we do NOT EXCEED the comfortable/ safe volume level.

RichB

RichB

The salient point is, even when you decrease the master volume by 5dB or whatever is comfortable, the sound is still better and fuller with DEQ than without DEQ.

For example, normally my master volume is set to -20.0 when DEQ is off.

When I turn DEQ on, the master volume is then set to -25.0. But now the sound is fuller, bass is punchier, tighter, more musical - it is now more DYNAMIC. But the SPL is the same.

My peak volume is still 94dBC with or without DEQ. With DEQ on, I turn the master volume down to maintain the comfortable volume level.

So it's not like we listen to 90dB without DEQ, and then all of the sudden listen to 100dB with DEQ. We do know how to turn down the volume.

Bottom line, no matter what is on, we do NOT EXCEED the comfortable/ safe volume level.
I am cool with that.

I would prefer that it not provide an overall boost.
However, were I engineering it, I would likely do the same to assure a positive response. ;)

- Rich

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Naturally, Audyssey XT32 is the smoothest and best. ;)

Audyssey Pro would be the ultimate. :cool:

There is a great reason IMAX & DARTs use Audyssey Pro, instead of the other software. :D
It certainly looks that way, but too bad the guy did not include Anthem ARC. Did you notice that Pure Direct (red) didn't look that good at all?

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
It certainly looks that way, but too bad the guy did not include Anthem ARC. Did you notice that Pure Direct (red) didn't look that good at all?
ARC and XT32 are very close in my experience, but it would have been nice if ARC, Trinnov, and Dirac were in there as well. Still a great website :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah. :D

There goes the theory about how "pure" and "shortest path" are the "best". Pure Direct dose NOT look very pure at all. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ARC and XT32 are very close in my experience, but it would have been nice if ARC, Trinnov, and Dirac were in there as well. Still a great website :)
We sure ask for a lot, don't we? ;) :D

That is the best comparison I've seen to date. It is already a fantastic comparison. It could only be surpassed by the inclusion of ARC, Trinnov, Dirac, and other RC like Lyngdorf RoomPerfect (used in McIntosh MX151). :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am cool with that.

I would prefer that it not provide an overall boost.
However, were I engineering it, I would likely do the same to assure a positive response. ;)

- Rich
As PENG says, it's an adaptive smart DYNAMIC boost, not an overall boost to every single frequency and every single level. It's not dynamic VOLUME.

But my POV is, it doesn't matter to me that a room correction software can make the frequency response ruler flat to +/- 0.00dB if it does NOT sound GREAT.

Audyssey XT32 & Pro are there to make the frequency flat and smooth.

But Dynamic EQ is there to make the sound GREAT. :D ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis