Room EQ systems for AVP/AVR users thread

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You read my mind. See what coffee can do ;) I was uploading my graphs while you were typing your post! I also have a manual profile where I stop the EQ above 500hz, allow the sub to run flat down low, and set a slightly higher crossover on the speakers.
Hey I have to go to work now. When I return I expect to see some enlarged version of the ones for the subs, at least one, preferable with 1/6 octave smoothing if you don't mind. They do look impressive as they are now, just a touch small for old and tired eyes. I will do the same but I have to figure out how first. Thanks in advance.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You read my mind. See what coffee can do ;)
I need another one! I edited mine as I then noticed you posted the graph, but you responded before I finished editing. Well, that happened a lot, I guess.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
A quick question. Will REW give me any type of useful feedback for just my 2 channel mains?
I am waiting on my 30' usb cable to arrive so I can reach my pc from the living room. What I am hoping to gain, is some insight as to what my room is doing in terms of bass response, speaker placement, upper freq. reflection and decay times. I am hoping this will help me with choosing a proper sub and give me some idea of where it might get placed as well. Currently running just my towers full range.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That is a great queston! It was in fact one of the first thing I wanted to find out. Don't you worry anyway because with DEQ engaged the graph looks the same except the lower frequencies got elevated such that within the ranges (forgot where it dropped off) it was still smooth, not flat obviously but the shape remains the same. It is hard to explain but I will post the graph once I figure out how this weekend. Now that confirmed why I was able to enjoy it even when listening to music now, of course at lower levels only. When I listen to jazz music I use the 5 db offset as I am not a bass addict like you:D.
Yes, I noticed that the only thing DEQ changed was the bass - it made the bass sound much better. But it did not do anything to the rest of the sound. The result was mellifluous at all volume level - crystal clear and detailed sound with full punchy "musical" bass. Otherwise, I would not have like DEQ so much. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I wonder what the un-smooth graphs look like. :D
1/6 octave smoothing apparently reflect reality better whatever that means. I can post the raw one but have to figure out how to do it so AH would let me.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Hey I have to go to work now. When I return I expect to see some enlarged version of the ones for the subs, at least one, preferable with 1/6 octave smoothing if you don't mind. They do look impressive as they are now, just a touch small for old and tired eyes. I will do the same but I have to figure out how first. Thanks in advance.
How's this?

ARC-1M - MRX 310 (06-01-14) SUB.jpg

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
A quick question. Will REW give me any type of useful feedback for just my 2 channel mains?
I am waiting on my 30' usb cable to arrive so I can reach my pc from the living room. What I am hoping to gain, is some insight as to what my room is doing in terms of bass response, speaker placement, upper freq. reflection and decay times. I am hoping this will help me with choosing a proper sub and give me some idea of where it might get placed as well. Currently running just my towers full range.
Yes REW can provide you with such feedback.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I hope that USB cable is active. Otherwise it could fudge up your measurements a little.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
While testing my drivers to identify the Salon1's cooked mid-range, Irv suggested playing tones to isolate the driver.
I played a 40hz tone and the Nulls were really amazing.

Luckily, there was not problem where I sit but there were points were there was almost no sound.

It is interesting but this is one aspect that room correct cannot fix.

- Rich

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Very impressive results! Thank you for sharing.
No problem. A couple other things I like about ARC is that if you reset your receiver, there's no need to retake measurements; you simply upload the ARC profile from your computer to the receiver via the network. The other is how it detects something unusual during measurements. For example, if the phone rings, it will stop and ask you if you wish to retake that particular measurement as unusual noise was detected.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
While testing my drivers to identify the Salon1's cooked mid-range, Irv suggested playing tones to isolate the driver.

Luckily, there was not problem where I sit but there were points were there was almost no sound.

- Rich
How big is your room?

Did you occupy the nulled spaces to experience what it actually sounded like ? :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

- Rich
Real ones cannot be fixed by EQ but fake ones can be much improved.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
No problem. A couple other things I like about ARC is that if you reset your receiver, there's no need to retake measurements; you simply upload the ARC profile from your computer to the receiver via the network. The other is how it detects something unusual during measurements. For example, if the phone rings, it will stop and ask you if you wish to retake that particular measurement as unusual noise was detected.
Audyssey allows you to retake the particular measurement as well but to storing profile and fine tuning on PC are features of the Audyssey Pro only. The pro version apparently has a list price of around $500. Anthem ARC is no doubt a huge selling point for AVR shoppers with difficult rooms as they will likely benefit more from a relatively flexible room eq system.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, any of you Audyssey users ever experienced a case where one seating position sounds significantly different from another after you apply Audyssey?

Any "timing" issues from one position to the next?

Any imaging issues from one position to the next?

Any sound quality issues in general, not in bass content (nulls)?

I have never noticed a difference. I usually sit on the right seating position of the room. Sometimes I am "forced" :mad: to sit on the left seating position of the room, which is 12ft away from the right seating position . Sometimes I sit in the middle of the room. And I have never noticed an appreciable difference.

The only time I noticed a difference was a long time ago when I had just one subwoofer and there was a null. But since adding multiple subs, I have not noticed any differences among the different seating positions. But this is just for the bass.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sheldon feels your pain.
Well, my younger brother came over and he was complaining of back pain and "needed" to sit on the right side. So like Tony Soprano would say, "What are you going to do?" :D

I also wanted to see how the other half lived on the far left side of the room. It was like the right side. Except it was on the left side. :eek: :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis