questions about aa philharmonics

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
gotcha. I guess I was a little more hung up on the abbreviation "Al". I couldn't tell if it meant artificial intelligence, or 2 letters for a 2 metal alloy or something along those lines, or if it's just plain old short for aluminum. yes, I way over think things sometimes...
Maybe 27Al would clear things up :p

That's a common notation for the science field to determine exactly which isotope you are dealing with. ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe 27Al would clear things up :p

That's a common notation for the science field to determine exactly which isotope you are dealing with. ;)
ha! thank you! now I feel a little stupid. I'm a science guy too. number 13 on the periodic table.

Aluminum (27Al)is a high sensitivity nucleus that yields broad lines over a wide chemical shift range.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I couldn't take it any more. christmas on thanksgiving! I made those stands from flimsier, shorter stands with 4x6 lumber for weight and stability. they weigh about 55-60 lbs with the speakers on them. the coke crates are ugly, but they hide the wires and my wife has a sentimental attachment to them.

I included pics of the same corners that were pictured on the site. the dings are not there. none of the numbers on the back match any of the numbers on the site and in fact, are almost in series. I think I got a brand new pair for 800 bucks. somebody must have goofed in my favor.

I'm still tweaking them in and playing with settings. I changed audyssey from reference to flat. is that recommended? I think I like it better flat. also, I have to take back what I said about the deftechs digging deeper. these dig deep too. with some music I can turn the subs off and you can barely tell the difference. I love these speakers.

question, when I'm in stereo mode and set the crossover frequency on my mains at say 40 or 60 hz, does that apply the same to the sub also? I know in lfe you can only go down to 80 hz, but I think that's just for surround modes?

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
SVS recommends 60Hz crossover, which is a good starting point.

I forget your receiver, but if it is anything close to any normal AVR, it will manage both the sub and speakers. This is the ideal scenario because it can perfectly match the signals to make a clean crossover. Turn the "Low Pass Filter" knob to the highest setting (marked "LFE" on the SB1000) so the sub doesn't interfere with what the receiver is doing.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm still tweaking them in and playing with settings. I changed audyssey from reference to flat. is that recommended? I think I like it better flat.
In case you haven't seen it, here is the explanation from Chris K.
https://audyssey.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212347723-MultEQ-Target-Curves

But don't get too hung up on the intent. What works best with your speakers in your room is for you to decide.

I remember seeing a poll on AVS and the split was about even, there is no strong consensus.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
SVS recommends 60Hz crossover, which is a good starting point.

I forget your receiver, but if it is anything close to any normal AVR, it will manage both the sub and speakers. This is the ideal scenario because it can perfectly match the signals to make a clean crossover. Turn the "Low Pass Filter" knob to the highest setting (marked "LFE" on the SB1000) so the sub doesn't interfere with what the receiver is doing.
I did that. I have a denon avr x1200w. currently set at small and 80hz, but the ultras are doing a remarkable job a little lower to my ears. I wanted to know if the setting remains 80 hz for the subs while the speakers go down to 60. or does it cross them both over evenly, despite what it says on lpf for lfe? it's a little confusing.

*edit: my query is about stereo mode. for surround it doesn't really matter to me.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
subwoofer mode = lfe
lpf for lfe = 80hz (low as it will go)

front, center and surrounds all set to small

crossovers
front 60 hz (audyssey recommended 40)
center 80hz (audyssey recommended 40)
surround 80hz

that's how I have it currently. the lpf for lfe thing is what's confusing me.

*edit: this, I think, clears it up for me.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/lfe-and-lpf-for-lfe.87666/

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LPF of LFE only affects the .1 channel in content that has it, I'd leave that at 120, the normal limit of content in the .1 channel. The LPF of LFE is not a crossover.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LPF of LFE only affects the .1 channel in content that has it, I'd leave that at 120, the normal limit of content in the .1 channel. The LPF of LFE is not a crossover.
ps Didn't see your link edit...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
thanks. that's even further clarification and I appreciate it.
ps Didn't see your link edit...
np. thanks for the reply. some of this stuff is confusing and my question was almost as confusing as the answers out there.

this speaker/sub combo are the nicest speakers I've owned and I want to make sure I know what everything is and get the most out of them I can. I'm still learning and you guys have been a ton of help.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Still highly dependent on your room and preferences. No wrong answer, go with what you like. I use 120hz crossover even with fairly capable speakers, just that my subs are more capable and no localization issue in my case....

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
I couldn't take it any more. christmas on thanksgiving! I made those stands from flimsier, shorter stands with 4x6 lumber for weight and stability. they weigh about 55-60 lbs with the speakers on them. the coke crates are ugly, but they hide the wires and my wife has a sentimental attachment to them.

I included pics of the same corners that were pictured on the site. the dings are not there. none of the numbers on the back match any of the numbers on the site and in fact, are almost in series. I think I got a brand new pair for 800 bucks. somebody must have goofed in my favor.

I'm still tweaking them in and playing with settings. I changed audyssey from reference to flat. is that recommended? I think I like it better flat. also, I have to take back what I said about the deftechs digging deeper. these dig deep too. with some music I can turn the subs off and you can barely tell the difference. I love these speakers.

question, when I'm in stereo mode and set the crossover frequency on my mains at say 40 or 60 hz, does that apply the same to the sub also? I know in lfe you can only go down to 80 hz, but I think that's just for surround modes?
Hey Pogre that's a nice looking setup and don't tamper with your wife's sentimental attachments, that will threaten the peace in the valley, it took me a day tweaking my 2.1 stereo set up after I added the SVS 2000 sub to SVS Prime Towers and I've never been happier and while listening pleasure with some systems bring on listening fatigued to the ears, not with SVS speakers & sub, with or without company. I'm greatful and very thankful for the knowledge and supporting cast here...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey Pogre that's a nice looking setup and don't tamper with your wife's sentimental attachments, that will threaten the peace in the valley, it took me a day tweaking my 2.1 stereo set up after I added the SVS 2000 sub to SVS Prime Towers and I've never been happier and while listening pleasure with some systems bring on listening fatigued to the ears, not with SVS speakers & sub, with or without company. I'm greatful and very thankful for the knowledge and supporting cast here...
thanks diesel. I'm still tweaking, but it sounds really, really good.

how do you like that sb2000? if I had the money I'd have a pair of those, but the sb1000's were more in my budget (for 2 of them) and they sound really good in my house. I don't feel like I'm missing anything right now.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
thanks diesel. I'm still tweaking, but it sounds really, really good.

how do you like that sb2000? if I had the money I'd have a pair of those, but the sb1000's were more in my budget (for 2 of them) and they sound really good in my house. I don't feel like I'm missing anything right now.
I would venture that the only thing you are missing is some louder/deeper bass for HT. For typical music, the SB1000 should equal the SB2000 (as long as the SB1000 plays loud enough for you)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Having owned (and used) an SB1000 for about 4 months before I upgraded to an SB2000, I can agree that for a vast majority of music there's no discernable difference. There is some that I listen to which does take advantage of the better driver and amp of the SB2000, though it's definitely with movies I feel the real difference. I will probably have a pair of SB13 Ultra at some point in the future. The new SB16 Ultra is just far too big for me though I'm intrigued.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Budget, floor space and a rent-paying tenant below me. Ain't happenin'

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What is that you have your TV setting on? Are they cement blocks? How tall, wide, and deep are they?Where did you get them? I need to do the same to my TV. But, mine is smaller than yours. Nice looking setup. Thanks for the pics!

Cheers,

Phil
thanks man. those are 4x6 pieces of lumber stained black. I'm all over that poop. the king of 4x6 redneck rigging. :p I did that so my center can slide under the tv a little. I'm thinking about getting another piece of wood tall enough to stick behind the tv to hide the rest of those wires. something cheap and doesn't have to be thick, stain it black and it'll blend right in I think. I could screw it into the backs of those 4x6 pieces the tv sits on. that would actually stabilize everything too.

the 1000's are plenty loud enough for me. I have them -2 below reference and the gains on both subs set at 50%. I understand I'm prolly missing some of that in your bones thud for movies, but that's not as big a deal to me. I like my home theater, don't get me wrong, but I've always been chasing an awesome music system and I think I now have one. it sounds amazing and I don't think I can do any better without shelling out a lot more cash.

next on the agenda may be an amp. that's why I got the x1200 with preouts. not in a hurry for that one though. it sounds great now and I'm getting pretty decent spl.

*edit: I didn't type "poop". lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis