questions about aa philharmonics

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I will definitely keep an eye on the outlet. that's an even better deal, and I'd much rather purchase direct from svs anyway. thank you for the link!
I should have mentioned that. The Outlet is definitely the way to buy them unless you are really anal about swirl/scoffs in your piano finish (which happen too easily but are not visible unless you are looking at light reflected exactly on the swirl from up close).

If you were paying $1000 for a pair, I'd at least consider spending another $200 ($1150 plus ?$50? for shipping) to get some Murphy/RAAL greatness!
http://philharmonicaudio.com/New Philharmonitor.html

That is a speaker not many people would ever upgrade from (as in a final speaker) although the Ultra is no slouch.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I should have mentioned that. The Outlet is definitely the way to buy them unless you are really anal about swirl/scoffs in your piano finish (which happen too easily but are not visible unless you are looking at light reflected exactly on the swirl from up close).

If you were paying $1000 for a pair, I'd at least consider spending another $200 ($1150 plus ?$50? for shipping) to get some Murphy/RAAL greatness!
http://philharmonicaudio.com/New Philharmonitor.html

That is a speaker not many people would ever upgrade from (as in a final speaker) although the Ultra is no slouch.
when I found the ultras on ebay for 900, it helped sway my wife. 800 from their outlet is a pretty great deal. there's a selection and some of the chips are very minor. I really would like to get the philharmonitors, but they're just a smidgen out of my price range.

*edit: just out of curiosity, how long do those ribbons last? what kind of material is used?

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
when I found the ultras on ebay for 900, it helped sway my wife. 800 from their outlet is a pretty great deal. there's a selection and some of the chips are very minor. I really would like to get he philharmonitors, but they're just a smidgen out of my price range.
Yeah, it is tougher to make the case for the Philharmonitors when you are looking at Ultras for $800!
Essentially you are talking a 50% or $400 increase and that is a serious chunk!
At $1000, spending another $200 for the Philharmonitors would deserve strong consideration!

If you haven't already read this, I think Alex (TheWarrior) does an excellent job of describing the Ultras and how they compare within an array of lesser and better speakers.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/bookshelf-speaker-shootout.95335/

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
totally agree, but yeah. in the scope of 400 dollars, it's pretty convincing to go with the ultras. if I was already a thousand into it, I would definitely be more easily swayed.

you guys are getting me more pumped. in a good way. this was gonna happen one way or another and it's the most I've ever spent on a pair of speakers. I need to be happy with them for a long time, and I believe I will be. so many positive reviews from right here as well as elsewhere. multiple editor's choice and speaker of the year stuff... I'm tickled pink. prolly gonna be a month or so, but it's in the works and I have a nice chunk already set aside for them.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
just came up with a budget that'll net me those speakers in a month. I might have to go phantom mode for a while, but that's not too bad and it's worth it to me for music listening. I listen to a lot more now and I'm probably going to become obsessed when the ultras get here. lol

I was sitting here thinking (aside from "wtf is wrong with you?!?") about what is driving this obsession for better and better speakers. ever since I was a child I've always loved music. I get goosebumps quite often when I'm listening to something I really love and it just... feels really good. my first big boy present as a child was cheap a little stereo. I was 10 and it was what I wanted.

ever since I've been chasing the best stereo I've ever owned. finally I'm in a financial situation where I can afford some nice things. I think the reason I'm obsessed is because I do love music so much. the right music at the right time can completely alter my mood or make me feel good. my brain likes what it hears and floods my system with seratonin. the better it sounds.... well hell yeah. it's almost like a drug addiction. one which I will never seek counsel for.

I made my choice after very careful deliberation and asking many questions. many of which you all answered for me. I truly feel I've been guided, patiently, in the right direction. once again, thank you.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
just came up with a budget that'll net me those speakers in a month. I might have to go phantom mode for a while, but that's not too bad and it's worth it to me for music listening. I listen to a lot more now and I'm probably going to become obsessed when the ultras get here. lol

I was sitting here thinking (aside from "wtf is wrong with you?!?") about what is driving this obsession for better and better speakers. ever since I was a child I've always loved music. I get goosebumps quite often when I'm listening to something I really love and it just... feels really good. my first big boy present as a child was cheap a little stereo. I was 10 and it was what I wanted.

ever since I've been chasing the best stereo I've ever owned. finally I'm in a financial situation where I can afford some nice things. I think the reason I'm obsessed is because I do love music so much. the right music at the right time can completely alter my mood or make me feel good. my brain likes what it hears and floods my system with seratonin. the better it sounds.... well hell yeah. it's almost like a drug addiction. one which I will never seek counsel for.

I made my choice after very careful deliberation and asking many questions. many of which you all answered for me. I truly feel I've been guided, patiently, in the right direction. once again, thank you.
You have hit on what we are about, which is sharing our passion!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
when I found the ultras on ebay for 900, it helped sway my wife. 800 from their outlet is a pretty great deal. there's a selection and some of the chips are very minor. I really would like to get the philharmonitors, but they're just a smidgen out of my price range.

*edit: just out of curiosity, how long do those ribbons last? what kind of material is used?
As someone who has owned the Ultra Bookshelves and also has a pair of Phil 3's, I'd go for the ribbon every time. I actually sold the Ultras to speakerman39 and ended up building a pair of towers that utilize a more robust version of the ribbon Dennis uses in the Philharmonitor and Phil 3.

IMHO, I'd save $400 more and get the Phils and I really really liked the Ultras when I had them. However, after a couple months I found myself leaning back towards the RAAL tweeters. YMMV.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
As someone who has owned the Ultra Bookshelves and also has a pair of Phil 3's, I'd go for the ribbon every time. I actually sold the Ultras to speakerman39 and ended up building a pair of towers that utilize a more robust version of the ribbon Dennis uses in the Philharmonitor and Phil 3.

IMHO, I'd save $400 more and get the Phils and I really really liked the Ultras when I had them. However, after a couple months I found myself leaning back towards the RAAL tweeters. YMMV.
searching for more info on the ultras I think I stumbled across the thread where you sold them. I almost cried missing out on that! lol

man, I get it. the philharmonics are freaking awesome. however, I just recently bought a new receiver and a pair of sb 1000's. my wife is starting to really get annoyed. she's not gonna approve 1200 for speakers. I usually get my way, but sometimes you just gotta concede.

I managed to squeeze 900 out of her for the ultras, then made her happier with finding them for 800. dude, ain't no way I'm going to try to explain spending 1200. I know I would love them. I also know I'll love the ultras. my ears aren't as well trained as some of you and I imagine they're going to be the best speakers I've heard. I plan to keep them a long time. I will always wonder about the philharmonics though, and if they're still around in a few years...

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The woofer used in the philamonitor is a beast that can handle a ton of power for the size, I'd love to hear them in a medium size room 2ch setup.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic

Pogre, I share your passion and understand totally what you're saying, music is one of the things that I can enjoy by myself or in the company of others, it's so easy to get caught up in the whirlwind of audio and music with having or wanting quality gear and there are times and moments when you know you don't need it, that's when you're having a euphoric moment which is what happened to me a few days ago if you can recall and being here where many of us share one anothers passions and company along with being filled with information, knowledge with respect of one anothers insight and choices and my hope is you get those Ultras, I'm saturated with the sound of the Prime Towers...I appreciate everyone that shares this forum...CHEERS;)

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
searching for more info on the ultras I think I stumbled across the thread where you sold them. I almost cried missing out on that! lol

man, I get it. the philharmonics are freaking awesome. however, I just recently bought a new receiver and a pair of sb 1000's. my wife is starting to really get annoyed. she's not gonna approve 1200 for speakers. I usually get my way, but sometimes you just gotta concede.

I managed to squeeze 900 out of her for the ultras, then made her happier with finding them for 800. dude, ain't no way I'm going to try to explain spending 1200. I know I would love them. I also know I'll love the ultras. my ears aren't as well trained as some of you and I imagine they're going to be the best speakers I've heard. I plan to keep them a long time. I will always wonder about the philharmonics though, and if they're still around in a few years...
my wife wants a fancy new laptop. guess who finagled a negotiation that includes a pair of svs ultra bookshelf speakers...

I told her it was a lot of money to spend on a laptop with features she probably won't even use. tried hard to talk her out of it. then she said, "well if you want those speakers, then I want that laptop." I then said, "I think that would be a GREAT laptop for you! I'll order it right now! lol

I officially have permission now! prolly gonna be a Christmas thing, but that's fine. I'm a happy camper now. I can get a pair of them for 900 bucks open box all day on ebay. if you guys know of anything better in that price range I'm open to suggestion. the philharmonitors look fantastic, but they're also a few hundred more so I've got my sights set pretty firmly on the ultras for now. I'm stoked.
my wife wants a fancy new laptop. guess who finagled a negotiation that includes a pair of svs ultra bookshelf speakers...

I told her it was a lot of money to spend on a laptop with features she probably won't even use. tried hard to talk her out of it. then she said, "well if you want those speakers, then I want that laptop." I then said, "I think that would be a GREAT laptop for you! I'll order it right now! lol

I officially have permission now! prolly gonna be a Christmas thing, but that's fine. I'm a happy camper now. I can get a pair of them for 900 bucks open box all day on ebay. if you guys know of anything better in that price range I'm open to suggestion. the philharmonitors look fantastic, but they're also a few hundred more so I've got my sights set pretty firmly on the ultras for now. I'm stoked.
Hmm, hey Pogre, isn't love just wonderful you old fart:p, who bribe who?, When my wife said to me 4 days ago, go buy your dream car (Porsche Carrera) I said, yea sure, she responded, no baby I'll go with you, there's more to that but to make a long story short, I laughed and said, I'm to old of a cat to be fooled by a kitten, the lab top it is...Peace remains in the valley you cream puff:p...LOL

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Oooh...Porsche Carrera. I wouldn't pass up ANY opportunity to own one of those. Hell, I'd sell my soul to the devil...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hmm, hey Pogre, isn't love just wonderful you old fart:p, who bribe who?, When my wife said to me 4 days ago, go buy your dream car (Porsche Carrera) I said, yea sure, she responded, no baby I'll go with you, there's more to that but to make a long story short, I laughed and said, I'm to old of a cat to be fooled by a kitten, the lab top it is...Peace remains in the valley you cream puff:p...LOL
ha! yeah, she played me but I let it happen. I want those speakers.

I'm not even going to deny the euphoric whirlwind I seem to have found myself in when my wife more or less gave me permission. I've been drooling over those speakers for weeks and she knows it. I'm pretty ecstatic right now, though I had to promise that this will be it for awhile. I think I can even keep that promise. I have a pretty decent receiver now, a pair of great subs and a set of ultras in my immediate future. well, there is the center channel issue but phantom mode will do for a while. 600 for a center will probably make her head explode. lol

ha ha ken...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

I'm not even going to deny the euphoric whirlwind I seem to have found myself in when my wife more or less gave me permission. I've been drooling over those speakers for weeks and she knows it. I'm pretty ecstatic right now, though I had to promise that this will be it for awhile. I think I can even keep that promise. I have a pretty decent receiver now, a pair of great subs and a set of ultras in my immediate future. well, there is the center channel issue but phantom mode will do for a while. 600 for a center will probably make her head explode. lol

ha ha ken...
Get everything set up and sounding good, use it for a couple of months, then make her listen to crappy TV speakers again for a few days. She'll come around to see your point of view ;)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The wonderful thing about music is even though I have a pretty nice system, I can still get great joy from listening to good music over something like my JBL Pebbles or a generic boom-box and still enjoy it immensely! Better speakers are better, but the where to land on the scale of diminishing returns is a very personal decision based on your allowance that you can devote to audio.

Because I play in a jazz band with trumpets and trombones, the difference between soft domes and well implemented Al tweeters like the Ultras have is quickly apparent to me. Without another speaker to compare it to, the Ultras cover it for me. I would not know I was missing anything had I not compared them directly against higher quality speakers.

Those higher quality speakers add a very, very subtle improvement to a cymbal crash or even the tap of a triangle and really don't distinguish themselves strongly unless you are listening to something like symphonic chimes (tubular bells) where the harmonic balance of the RAAL or Beryllium tweeter is better. I think this difference also comes across as providing a subtle degree of extra detail.

I guess what I am saying is aside from Symphonic Chimes, I almost have to work at it to find the improvements over the Ultras. On the scale of diminishing returns, the Ultras are in a good place!

The Philharmonitors are noteworthy because they are a lot more speaker than you can get anywhere else for $1150. Dennis Murphy/Philharmonic Audio has little if any advertising cost, he doesn't have a payroll to manage, he is pretty much a one man show (and the right man, regarding skill/talent) and not trying to earn a living or grow a corporation. If you want a speaker to compete directly with the Philharmonitor, you are looking at the Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 RAAL at $1450. Aside from the difference in cost, I think the decision between these two is a matter of personal taste w.r.t. subtle tuning decisions made by their respective designers. The Ascends are a great value and the Philharmonitor is an incredible value. I think you are looking at 2 grand to find the next competitor (Salk probably has something competitive with the Ascends if you consider that you are paying additional money for a custom high quality furniture grade finish - they are beautiful finishes!).

I guess what I am getting at is that at $800 for B-stock, the Ultras are really a great option. If you can later upgrade to the Philharmonitor, that is a speaker it is very hard to upgrade from because they are very, very good and it is going to really cost a big wad of cash to go better (aside from other Philharmonic speakers)!

PS - all comments above assume you have a proper sub set-up. The cost of speakers that add top level bass is a totally different issue.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
thanks for the affirmation on the ultras. my style of music is mostly pretty heavy stuff. alternative and progressive metal with deep bass drops. tool is probably my favorite band. to me they're like Pink Floyd (another band I like), but more metal. there isn't symphonic anything on my playlist, so you confirmed what I was thinking. for my style of music, I don't think I'll be missing much with the ultras. also, I don't have access to speakers with raal tweeters to spoil my ears.

as far as my sub setup I have 2 sb 1000's. did the sub crawl to find the best positions and used audyssey to dial it all in. I have one almost in a corner and the other is on the opposite side of the room. I don't have any measuring equipment but I'm very happy with my bass response throughout listening area. I love the subs, which is also a selling point for me on the ultras.

*edit: just found a buyer for my deftechs. I'm gonna get 300 for them. more than I paid. now I'm even more stoked!

Last edited:
D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic

ha ha ken...
Oooh...Porsche Carrera. I wouldn't pass up ANY opportunity to own one of those. Hell, I'd sell my soul to the devil...
Hey Pogre, she didn't play you, it's called marriage, for better or worst, your wife apparently knows how to play poker;), she raised and then called, what the h%ll, Enjoy the Ultra's:)

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
I told the wife that I'm writing my congressman or shall I say congresswoman, to impose a new law, to make a marriage license like a drivers license, at the end of 4 yrs you have the option to renew it for 4 more years if you want to...She laughed.

PS: Going shopping Saturday for the Carrera and she stated I've used up my wishes for the rest of my life, well, she's not the devil but I sold my soul;)...

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
2016-11-04 14.26.57.png
2016-11-04 14.29.56-1.png

2016-11-04 14.40.51.png

2016-11-04 14.31.12.png

and a t-shirt! ha!

I found those 2 on their outlet and the marks are so insignificant I went ahead and pulled the trigger. hell, a black sharpie might do the trick on those tiny little dings, though I might just get a little bottle of black model paint or something. I'm pretty stoked, but it's really supposed to be a Christmas thing... they might sit in the closet for a bit. though I can't be responsible for what might happen if I'm home alone for a while...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis