PSB, Paradigm or Focal

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
$75 for the maple - $125 for the elsberry
That doesn't make any sense. Why would shipping be $50 more for the same speaker but different finish?

Anyway, comparing the Vera to the Dynaudio S1.4. It is going to take a little time for me to get used to a speaker with a metal tweeter because Dynaudios use soft dome tweeters. The Veras are brighter than the Dynaudios because of that. Plus the Dynaudio have more bass and it was pretty impressive for a speaker of their size.
So far, I do feel that the Vera is a bit clearer and a little more revealing, but I can't be 100% because i am going by from what I remember. I sold the Dynaudios 5 weeks ago. But then again, sound is subjective. What is bright to me, may be warm to someone else.
Overall, I would take the Dynaudio over the Vera if money wasn't an issue. But money is an issue and the Dynaudios retail for $3500 and the Veras were what, $2000 when they were first introduced. Almost double the price.
With that said, I feel the Vera gives me 80-90% of the listening pleasure that the Dynaudios did so I am happy with my purchase.
For the current prices the Veras are a real bargain. If I had another $1,000 laying around or if the 30 day return period for the Focals hadn't expired, I would have bought the Vera center and another pair of the bookshelves.

If you have the money, go for it. They are awesome for the money.

L

ljbrandt

Audioholic Intern
Wow so you found one that knocks off the VS260?.... Nice. They look solid but I could do without the silver... I really like the looks of the maple though.

So did the E60 get the boot already?
I was wondering when Alphaiii would come aboard :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
That doesn't make any sense. Why would shipping be $50 more for the same speaker but different finish?

Dynaudios retail for $3500 and the Veras were what, $2000 when they were first introduced. Almost double the price.
With that said, I feel the Vera gives me 80-90% of the listening pleasure that the Dynaudios did so I am happy with my purchase.
For the current prices the Veras are a real bargain.

If you have the money, go for it. They are awesome for the money.
Maxxsonics (MB Quart) can be a mystery - I do not understand their pricing/shipping.
However they are worth much more, than what you are getting for total price/shipping.

The Vera VS05 was $2,500 a pair when they first came out.

We all hear, or pick up things different - they do not sound bright to me - however that
tweeter is quite revealing (crystal like), > and seems to be balanced and smooth, from
200 to 15 khz. My ears can not hear any real sound in the 15 khz area.

Also for me, Dr. Mushy Boom did not add any medicine to the bass.

Continue to enjoy!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Wow so you found one that knocks off the VS260?.... Nice. They look solid but I could do without the silver... I really like the looks of the maple though.

So did the E60 get the boot already?
Alphaiii you are awake! I am trying to be a little quiet about these speakers.:)
However, even AVS is walking this way. I guess I will have to do a formal review
in a day or so. Yes, I did give them 13.13589 minutes to break-in with that fancy
cable TV satellite music

The E60 and JBL Studio 530 are gone.

They look better in person - the elsberry looks good in person, the picture and
poor lighting does not do justice.

The metal silver is not that bad, and the metal is part of the engineering and
not for just looks.

One thing to note since you have sensitive ears, there is no dark-shadow for
nasty recordings and the sibilance thing. The tweeter is crystal-like. > Under
15 khz it seems to be balanced and smooth - however, I do not have Dennis
Murphy magnified-like ears.

I do prefer them over my favorite Boston VS260 - there will always be a speaker
that can knock another one off. It just took a while.

Last edited:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Alphaiii you are awake! I am trying to be a little quiet about these speakers.:)
However, even AVS is walking this way. I guess I will have to do a formal review
in a day or so. Yes, I did give them 13.13589 minutes to break-in with that fancy
cable TV satellite music

The E60 and JBL Studio 530 are gone.

They look better in person - the elsberry looks good in person, the picture and
poor lighting does not do justice.

The metal silver is not that bad, and the metal is part of the engineering and
not for just looks.

One thing to note since you have sensitive ears, there is no dark-shadow for
nasty recordings and the sibilance thing. The tweeter is crystal-like. > Under
15 khz it seems to be balanced and smooth - However, I do not have Dennis
Murphy magnified-like ears.

I do prefer them over my favorite Boston VS260 - there will always be a speaker
that can knock another one off. It just took a while.
So...will this mean you've concluded your journey or only for the time being?:)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
So...will this mean you've concluded your journey or only for the time being?:)
I need to slow down - I am not as young as I use to be.:)

I need to spend more time listening to the speakers - some how the forum
tends to slow me/that down.:confused::)

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
$75 for the maple - $125 for the elsberry

The elsberry really does look nice in person.

I just put the ones with the elsberry finish in a cart and it told me $75 for shipping. If I needed some speakers, I would buy these, but I already have more speakers than I need, and really should be selling some, not buying more. It does seem like a good deal though.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I just put the ones with the elsberry finish in a cart and it told me $75 for shipping. If I needed some speakers, I would buy these, but I already have more speakers than I need, and really should be selling some, not buying more. It does seem like a good deal though.
The elsberry bookshelf is $75 shipping
The elsberry center is $125 shipping

The total shipping for the cart is $200

These Vera speakers are a good deal - it also takes time to get
adjusted to the sound, they are really transparent and clean >
with no real negative tone color. They do like power.

You already have some nice speakers, so you will be fine!

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
You already have some nice speakers, so you will be fine!
Yes, I do, which is what is stopping me from jumping on this deal. If I did not, I would probably buy 4 or 5 pairs of them to use in a surround system. But this way, I do not spend a couple of thousand dollars, and do not have to agonize over which finish to select. Both look like they would be more than acceptable to me. As things are, I have more nice speakers than I am currently using, and some other extra ones, so this is just one of those very interesting deals that is of no use to me. Thinking about all of this really reminds me that I should sell off some extra gear that I have, but I expect I will not get around to it for a couple of months due to other things taking up time in my life.

Anyway, enjoy your new speakers!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis