PSB, Paradigm or Focal

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Everyone's hearing is different and when I listened to the B5,B6, i heard a very balanced speaker with a perfectmidrange, tight bass, and open treble without sounding harsh or brittle. The B6s were better in bass due to a larger driver and enclosure but the B5s were also quite respectable there as well. The PSBs image like nobody's business and play equally well loud or soft easily making the transition between the two in complete control. That's what I hear. The best thing for you is to audition the ones on your list and pick out what best suits your ears.

Last edited:
T

TheHills44060

Junior Audioholic
I agree 3db it's the balance of the Images that I like. Fire em up, let them play and forget about them if you know what I mean. Just a solid speaker with a good price to match. Not all of the PSB's are like that for instance I am not a fan of the Imagine series at all so I don't hold a bias for PSB.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have never heard a pair of PSB speakers except those sold in 2001 Audio Video that I wouldn't want to buy. I think they know how to make speakers that sound neutral.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I personally prefer an edgier sound so would lean towards Paradigm and Monitor Audio over PSB, but that's my taste. Another brand worth a look is KEF which has a similar personality (Smooth) to PSB, but I feel they have more extended highs and throw a larger soundstage.

rick88

rick88

Audiophyte
I will be the odd one - from the origional list, I choose none of them.
If I had to choose it would be Focal, then PSB. The Image series is a
little mushy/boomy to me.

I still favor the Monitor Audio RX-1 Silver on close-out pricing.

I also bought the MB Quart Vera VS05 bookshelf ($450), I am going to
give it a shake-down - it looks nice.

OP your call - your list is still a nice one
I'll be following this thread closely to see your impressions of the MB Quart VS05's. I've been tempted by the closeout pricing on them myself, and I'm even more tempted by the VS1SWM sub. I only wish I could find out more info on the sub, the specs are very vague on the website, and there's little info online about either the bookies or the sub...

P.S. - I'm also a big fan of the Monitor Audio RX-1's. I owned a pair (in gorgeous rosenut), and loved them. At the current closeout prices, they are hard to beat, IMHO...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I'll be following this thread closely to see your impressions of the MB Quart VS05's. I've been tempted by the closeout pricing on them myself, and I'm even more tempted by the VS1SWM sub. I only wish I could find out more info on the sub, the specs are very vague on the website, and there's little info online about either the bookies or the sub...

P.S. - I'm also a big fan of the Monitor Audio RX-1's. I owned a pair (in gorgeous rosenut), and loved them. At the current closeout prices, they are hard to beat, IMHO...
There is a little bit of info here - the sub looks real nice for the price, even with $200 shipping.
MB Quart home subwoofer

Not much info on the VS05 bookshelf - however my gut tells me, that it is going to be the real thing.
When they first came out, they were $2,500 a pair.

Also, the Vera series line measured good - from Sound and Vision, plus Soundstage - just no sub measurements.

Last edited:
rick88

rick88

Audiophyte
There is a little bit of info here - the sub looks real nice for the price, even with $200 shipping.
MB Quart home subwoofer

Not much info on the VS05 bookshelf - however my gut tells me, that it is going to be the real thing.
When they first came out, they were $2,500 a pair.

Also, the Vera series line measured good - from Sound and Vision, plus Soundstage - just no sub measurements.
Thanks for the link! I see the person that purchased one of the subs was impressed with its musical abilities, that's what I want to hear. At this point, I'm just thinking about it.

As for the VS05's, when do you expect them to arrive, and where do they ship from? I am looking forward to reading your thoughts, and if it isn't too much trouble, I'd love to see some better photos than what's online... :cool:

P.S. - I see you've been recommending those JBL 530's you have here quite a bit. I've been wanting to give them a listen as well. I owned the L830's for a while, and liked them. Have you heard the 830's, and if so, how do they compare to the 530's?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the link! I see the person that purchased one of the subs was impressed with its musical abilities, that's what I want to hear. At this point, I'm just thinking about it.

As for the VS05's, when do you expect them to arrive, and where do they ship from? I am looking forward to reading your thoughts, and if it isn't too much trouble, I'd love to see some better photos than what's online... :cool:

P.S. - I see you've been recommending those JBL 530's you have here quite a bit. I've been wanting to give them a listen as well. I owned the L830's for a while, and liked them. Have you heard the 830's, and if so, how do they compare to the 530's?
With a sub, I am more concerned about its musical ability, over the ability to
lift a house off its foundation.

The MBQ VS05 will arrive tomorrow - they ship from Palatine, IL

I will more than likely start a new thread about them

There is a picture of the speaker from rojo here
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/beginners-audiophytes/89583-intro-rojo-6.html#post1021487

And here
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/general-av-discussions/86935-what-new-stuff-have-you-bought-if-you-care-share-thead-64.html#post1021632

I have not listened to the JBL L830 - and I do not like the super tweeter thing.
It takes 2 tweeters from the L830 to do, what the Studio 530 can do with one.

I have listened to the old JBL L1 and from what I can remember, the Studio 530
has stepped it up, and the bi-radial horn tweeter is better than the L1 titanium.
The 530 is good, and the 5-1/4 inch woofer is strong and does go down low. Most
people who buy the 530 are real happy with it. This speaker has been compared
and preferred, over some more expensive popular speakers.

Last edited:
J

jalesi

Junior Audioholic
I'm not sure that I like the finish on the MB Quart. Not that that should matter, but it does. It may not matter for $100 less than they are. I also imagine that if I later wanted to add a center, it might be easier to match the PSB's.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not sure that I like the finish on the MB Quart. Not that that should matter, but it does. It may not matter for $100 less than they are. I also imagine that if I later wanted to add a center, it might be easier to match the PSB's.
They do come in 2 wood veneer choices, maple or elsberry. The same for the center.
However, no telling how long they will be around with the real good pricing. They are
priced to go.
Home Audio, Vera, Bookshelf*| MB Quart

Home Audio, Vera, Center Channel*| MB Quart

However, the speaker brand you choose is up to you - no real loser, even from your list.

J

jalesi

Junior Audioholic
I guess like many here, I have a thing for electronics. If I could, I'd have a new set every few months. I'm looking forward to getting something, I just haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning towards the PSB or MA's.

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
They do come in 2 wood veneer choices, maple or elsberry. The same for the center.
However, no telling how long they will be around with the real good pricing. They are
priced to go.
Home Audio, Vera, Bookshelf*| MB Quart

Home Audio, Vera, Center Channel*| MB Quart

However, the speaker brand you choose is up to you - no real loser, even from your list.
I'm waiting to hear your listening impressions of these as well. In the meantime, do you have more by way of specs than is listed on the MB Quart website? Woofer size, crossover, cabinet size etc?

Thanks!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I'm waiting to hear your listening impressions of these as well. In the meantime, do you have more by way of specs than is listed on the MB Quart website? Woofer size, crossover, cabinet size etc?
I will know more later today

The woofer should be 6 or 6-1/2 inches

They should be around 15" H x 9" W x 12" D

About 26 lbs

They built their own drivers and machines to make them, and
their own measuring chamber.

I do not know the crossover

Last edited:
bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
How much is shipping for the bookshelves and the center? I'm not hoping its like 300 they are showing on their site.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
How much is shipping for the bookshelves and the center? I'm not hoping its like 300 they are showing on their site.
If you buy the Bookshelf and center - it will be $200 total shipping.
I am listening to the Vera bookshelves now - and to me, they are
the real thing >> they sound better than the Snell K7 ($1250 list)
and Boston VS260 ($1395 list)

For me - I would pay $1500 for them, if they were not on close-out
pricing. However, the current price and shipping is fine with me.:)

I will post some deeper impressions, after I spend more time with them.

Your call

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
Yeah , the Vera bookshelves are the real deal. I've had them for two days now and they are awesome speakers. At $524 (after shipping) they really are a bargain. Too bad I don't have another $1000 laying around because I would order the center and another pair of the VS05Bs.

Does anyone know how much is shipping for just the center speaker?

L

ljbrandt

Audioholic Intern
Yeah , the Vera bookshelves are the real deal. I've had them for two days now and they are awesome speakers. At $524 (after shipping) they really are a bargain. Too bad I don't have another $1000 laying around because I would order the center and another pair of the VS05Bs.

Does anyone know how much is shipping for just the center speaker?
Lulimet, I'm really curious how you think they compare to the Dynaudio s1.4's you used to own?!

(btw-Looks like $75 shipping for just the center)

F

FunnyLion

Audiophyte
Lulimet, I'm really curious how you think they compare to the Dynaudio s1.4's you used to own?!

(btw-Looks like $75 shipping for just the center)

Yep, even I would be interested in knowing how they compare.
I ordered the bookshelves and the center, the total shipping came up to $200. The bookshelves alone cost $75 for shipping, so I'm assuming the center shipping cost is $115 (unless you just ordered the center and then the shipping cost is reduced to $75?).

I might still get a pair of RX-1s for surrounds.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
If you buy the Bookshelf and center - it will be $200 total shipping.
I am listening to the Vera bookshelves now - and to me, they are
the real thing >> they sound better than the Snell K7 ($1250 list)
and Boston VS260 ($1395 list)

For me - I would pay $1500 for them, if they were not on close-out
pricing. However, the current price and shipping is fine with me.:)

I will post some deeper impressions, after I spend more time with them.

Your call
Wow so you found one that knocks off the VS260?.... Nice. They look solid but I could do without the silver... I really like the looks of the maple though.

So did the E60 get the boot already?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis