PSB, Paradigm or Focal

J

jalesi

Junior Audioholic
I'm going to try to make this a short version of my story/thinking. I have a past with ID speaker companies dating back to around the year 2000. I purchased my first surround sound system and it was from Aperion. They sounded great at the time, and it was cool that they came in their purple velvet "Crown Royal" bags. I ended up abandoning them when I divorced. After that, I didn't have a full surround until I picked up some AV123 Rockets (450's and something else and center), and then I picked up a 5.1 Statik with 15MFW. I'm relatively happy with that stuff, but I'm thinking over the next few years of getting something else.

Right now, I have been reading that the vogue thing is to go with bookshelves and a sub. I've always preferred towers, as it seems the floorspace they take is the same. Anyway, I am facing some lower back issues, and suspect that bookshelves might be easier to wrestle around. I also have a bunch of gift cards, etc. from Christmas that I want to use for something "fun." And I've decided to try bookshelves and then later add a sub.

I will be using them in a bedroom for theater and music, and I have a $500 or less budget for the pair. I'm not too concerned about the center channel as the only real TV watching there is when I'm going to bed. Here are a few choices that I've seen, and the issue is, there's no one local to demo them.

PSB Image B5/6
Paradigm Atom Monitor
Paradigm Mini Monitor
Focal 705v

I am open to suggestions, and I know that a couple are a bit of a budget stretch, which is fine since speakers typically aren't like milk and spoil.

Thanks in advance.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
PSB Image B5/6
Paradigm Atom Monitor
Paradigm Mini Monitor
Focal 705v

I am open to suggestions, and I know that a couple are a bit of a budget stretch, which is fine since speakers typically aren't like milk and spoil.
I favor my wild card - Monitor Audio Silver RX-1
rosenut and walnut are still in stock
RX8* Rosenut and Walnut Only

The one I am also looking at, is the MB Quart Vera VS05 speaker.
As long as your back can lift a 26 lb speaker
VS05BE (Pair) - Elsberry Finish*| MB Quart

J

jalesi

Junior Audioholic
I haven't ruled anything out yet. Of course, like many, quality and bang for the buck are important as well. Part of the problem is, there are so many great speakers and so little space and money!
I will have to look at Monitor Audio. I suppose KEF might be another.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
You should add these to your list.

Monitor Audio - Bronze BX-2 - 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers-Audio Advisor

"Rarely has choosing the Product of the Year been so easy," notes the October 2010 issue of England'sWhat Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision magazine. "They sound excellent. Bass clarity and weight are impressive and detail is terrific… They dig up masses of detail, sounding as at home with bittersweet pop of The Magnetic Fields as with a large-scale Schubert symphony."

Last edited by a moderator:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
You should add these to your list.

Monitor Audio - Bronze BX-2 - 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers-Audio Advisor

"Rarely has choosing the Product of the Year been so easy," notes the October 2010 issue of England'sWhat Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision magazine. "They sound excellent. Bass clarity and weight are impressive and detail is terrific… They dig up masses of detail, sounding as at home with bittersweet pop of The Magnetic Fields as with a large-scale Schubert symphony."
That is a nice recommendation, however for $10 more - you get the higher-end
Silver RX-1 on close-out pricing.

Last edited by a moderator:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm going to try to make this a short version of my story/thinking. I have a past with ID speaker companies dating back to around the year 2000. I purchased my first surround sound system and it was from Aperion. They sounded great at the time, and it was cool that they came in their purple velvet "Crown Royal" bags. I ended up abandoning them when I divorced. After that, I didn't have a full surround until I picked up some AV123 Rockets (450's and something else and center), and then I picked up a 5.1 Statik with 15MFW. I'm relatively happy with that stuff, but I'm thinking over the next few years of getting something else.

Right now, I have been reading that the vogue thing is to go with bookshelves and a sub. I've always preferred towers, as it seems the floorspace they take is the same. Anyway, I am facing some lower back issues, and suspect that bookshelves might be easier to wrestle around. I also have a bunch of gift cards, etc. from Christmas that I want to use for something "fun." And I've decided to try bookshelves and then later add a sub.

I will be using them in a bedroom for theater and music, and I have a $500 or less budget for the pair. I'm not too concerned about the center channel as the only real TV watching there is when I'm going to bed. Here are a few choices that I've seen, and the issue is, there's no one local to demo them.

PSB Image B5/6
Paradigm Atom Monitor
Paradigm Mini Monitor
Focal 705v

Thanks in advance.
My vote goes for the PSBs... They measure better than the others mentioned so afar in this thread.

T

TheHills44060

Junior Audioholic
Add another vote for the PSB Images. I think they will be fine in a bedroom for both music and movies. The Paradigms are too sizzly for my ears and I'm not a fan of Focal's lower end models.

Kruz

Kruz

Audioholic
Just curious why you're not considering any ID offerings as well. I keep hearing they are the biggest bang for your buck.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I haven't heard any Focal, but I certainly have heard Paradigm and PSB side by side.

With that said I would opt for the PSB. I don't care for the way Paradigm voices their speakers. I always thought the bottom end is a bit sloppy.

PSB is a very balanced speaker. Maybe a tad forward but not harsh or fatiguing.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My vote goes to "Listen to them first" since even the first three manufacturers you mentioned don't sound alike. Did you like the Rockets? I personally don't like the Paradigms that much either until you get to the Sigs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I recommend the NHT Absolute Zero for their good sound quality and superlative listening window frequency response measurement of 100Hz-10kHz +/- 0.9dB.

J

jalesi

Junior Audioholic
The listening to them first is a bit of a crux. I don't really cherish the fact that I can't listen to them first, however there isn't anywhere around here to audition high end speakers. By the time I drive several hours, eat, spend a day on the road, to me, it's hard to justify 25-50% of the purchase price of the speakers. The one thing that I do when I buy a new set of speakers and have old ones that I won't use, is pass them on to someone I know that is in need. Long story short, with the research that I've done, I'm leaning towards the PSB's. I do need to look at the NHT's, as I'm least familiar with them.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The listening to them first is a bit of a crux. I don't really cherish the fact that I can't listen to them first, however there isn't anywhere around here to audition high end speakers. By the time I drive several hours, eat, spend a day on the road, to me, it's hard to justify 25-50% of the purchase price of the speakers. The one thing that I do when I buy a new set of speakers and have old ones that I won't use, is pass them on to someone I know that is in need. Long story short, with the research that I've done, I'm leaning towards the PSB's. I do need to look at the NHT's, as I'm least familiar with them.
NHT also offers 30-Day in-home trial. Try it out. Return them w/ free return.

NHT Absolute Zero Speaker System HT Labs Measures | Sound & Vision

The Absolute Zero’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +0.94/–0.82 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. The –3-dB point is at 83 Hz, and the –6-dB point is at 72 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 5.19 ohms at 192 Hz and a phase angle of –46.25 degrees at 111 Hz.

It is a sealed design.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

PSB Image B5/6
Paradigm Atom Monitor
Paradigm Mini Monitor
Focal 705v

Thanks in advance.
What sub will you be using them with? The PSB Image B6 will dig enough for most music without needing a sub. Even the B5s would do well for most music without a sub, espcially in a bedroom situation.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/content/121003090300-PSB-Image-Specs_English_Sep17.pdf

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
I have the Focal 705V used as surrounds. I don't recommend them as your main speakers in a system because they are not that great for music. They work fine as surrounds but you can do better for $500. I would choose the PSBs if I were you.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Undrstood and I don't think those you are choosing from are bad choices, though of those listed, the PSBs would likely be my top choice too.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I will be the odd one - from the origional list, I choose none of them.
If I had to choose it would be Focal, then PSB. The Image series is a
little mushy/boomy to me.

I still favor the Monitor Audio RX-1 Silver on close-out pricing.

I also bought the MB Quart Vera VS05 bookshelf ($450), I am going to
give it a shake-down - it looks nice.

OP your call - your list is still a nice one

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd have to say I like the Silvers a lot, though when auditioning them I felt the NHT Evolution M5 and M6 were better speakers - too bad they don't make those anymore. The Paradigms are good, but not great, at the price point IMO. I can't recall the last Focals I heard that weren't drivers implemented in another speaker, but I've liked them for some years.

J

jalesi

Junior Audioholic
The sub will be purchased at a future date, so that is open for now. My immediate plan is to get something going in the bedroom, and bookshelves make more sense at this time. I simply don't have the room for the towers that I have. It's funny and sad how quick a bedroom fills when you go from a queen to king bed, and then start to add receivers, A/V furniture and speakers.
I will give the Monitor Audio's a look. I'm least familiar with that brand.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I would seriously consider the Golden Ear Aon 2. It packs a lot of sound for the money

http://www.stereophile.com/content/goldenear-technology-aon-2-loudspeaker

I would stay away from the Paradigm Atom or Mini. This was Paradigm's attempt to get a more commercial product with a low price point and I feel that it's definitely not their best effort.

I have really been won over with the amount of detail and quality of sound with Golden Ear, so much so, that I have my Triton Ones reserved through my dealer and will be replacing my Paradigm setup.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis