Presumptuous aren't we?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
BTW, I just tried to track down the ridiculously off-topic post that got you put on probation, but it must have been deleted. Bummer. Either the rules have changed since then, or that must have been one heck of a post. After all, your post was on page 38. It's hard to get a thread to go a couple of pages before something off-topic gets put in around here. :) Usually by you, though. :D J/K.

On a side note, that was one long thread at 52 pages.
Here's where the page where the topic got put on the table by the OP and I got involved a little later:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?p=390020#post390020

I was arguably not off topic but do admit to being rude and understand that it's really just a matter of somebody just being sick of me being me on their forum. The whole thing proved to be a good reminder of my primary reason to be here: to get good info on A/V.
Having a few laughs along the way is bonus.

Edit: Here's what I got spanked for:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?p=390495#post390495

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Ahhh. I was looking at the day after that post (the date when you got the infraction), so I missed it.

PSWii60

PSWii60

Full Audioholic
I haven't been around very long but its apparent who the real dedicated members are. I just can't devote that kind of time. I really wish I could though, but if I did I would never get to enjoy what I love discussing so much? How do you all do it?

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I agree with what some have said here regarding some people's level of green chicklet-ness and their knowledge. I don't think that the rep system should be viewed as any indicator of a person's level of knowledge or audio, or lack thereof. If it's some sort of "social experiment" that's one thing, but the way I see it, with the many varied topics and sections on this form overall (many of them open to any number of discussions), using the rep system as a means of gauging one's Audio/Video savvy is in some ways a conflict of interest.

For example, anyone can add or subtract to any given person's reputation simply by clicking the button - anyone. Who is to say the person adding or subtracting is any more or less knowledgeable than the person affected? I think it's also a good indicator of who is generally better appreciated as a member on this forum, either by virtue of A/V knowledge or all-around friendliness and perhaps a good conversationalist or debater. Not all threads on this forum revolve around A/V, and places like the Steam Vent is where many people end up getting their reputation built up, because it offers us a place to "hang out" and chat about whatever we want to, as people, as friends, as those just sitting around shooting the breeze. This forum allows for it, so why should we frown upon someone who is maybe a noob at A/V, but has a few green chicklets under his belt because he seems like a genuinely good guy?

If the green chicklet system was to serve as only an indicator of a person's level of knowledge regarding Audio or Video, I would suggest that the capability to add/remove rep points be limited only to mods and Admin, and used only for that purpose. But this isn't the case, so maybe everyone should just relax a little and enjoy it for what it is, which is basically nothing. :D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Administrators have said this too me on several occasions, it's for fun and fun alone. It's not meant to show any real level of knowledge or gauge the value of any particular member. The only time I view it as being a little over the top is when it gets used out of anger or annoyance against a user that doesn't know jack about the forum.

I guess it's not really important, the only reason I even thought to start this thread is because the user had PM'd me and I saw why they made the piddily posts they had made (which where only five). That user has not responded to the PM I sent to them yet, I'm not certain if he just wasn't patient enough, he's real busy, or was scared off by the negative chicklet count.:confused:

Who knows.

B

bmf795

Audioholic Intern
Maybe he is not liked because he won the grand prize last week at the SOTU. :) TIC

majorloser

majorloser

Maybe he is not liked because he won the grand prize last week at the SOTU. :) TIC
elbichofede is the guy who won the 5.1 EMP system???
He was one of the guys who was attending the Sencore courses.

Spkr_Bldr

Spkr_Bldr

Full Audioholic
Hey, I'm back in the red ... all anonymous rep btw. Funny how when somebody leaves positive they always sign it, but negative is always anonymous.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Hey, I'm back in the red ... all anonymous rep btw. Funny how when somebody leaves positive they always sign it, but negative is always anonymous.
Well I will try to get ya back in the green....I am sick of the negative rep cowards who don't sign their reputation.....chumps and very cowardly if you ask me...:eek:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The following is not a complaint or a plea...it is ONLY an observation. I just noticed that five or more of my thanks have disappeared since last night. I really only noticed because I had hit 1000, so it was easy for me to remember where I was. Again, not complaining...just found it interesting.

I suppose that I should have posted this in the "boring" thread, as I'm probably the only one who found it interesting. :)

J

jamie2112

Banned
The following is not a complaint or a plea...it is ONLY an observation. I just noticed that five or more of my thanks have disappeared since last night. I really only noticed because I had hit 1000, so it was easy for me to remember where I was. Again, not complaining...just found it interesting.

I suppose that I should have posted this in the "boring" thread, as I'm probably the only one who found it interesting. :)
How do your thanks go away? Is someone deleting them? That is very strange to hear Adam...:eek:

Spkr_Bldr

Spkr_Bldr

Full Audioholic
Hey Adam, if they pruned some threads ... either manually or automatically ... your thanks could disappear.

I've ran some massive vBulletin forums myself, strange things like that happen all the time. Often the Admin doesn't even know what's going on. Weirdness is just normal with vB :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I've ran some massive vBulletin forums myself, :)
Then you should know that when you're in the red and you give someone pos rep it is a blue chicklet with no point value. :D

I appreciate the effort though. I only wanted to see what it looked like but I got that figured out already. Twice! :) Lately my monkey has been getting me in trouble. I'm gonna have to keep a closer eye on him. I really didn't realize there were women here (except maybe Jamie :D) and that little bastard (my monkey) made an off color remark that got me spanked.

Would the offended party please accept my apology? I promise to be good from here on in. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
How do your thanks go away? Is someone deleting them? That is very strange to hear Adam...:eek:
You can always retract the thanks that you give to people. Just go to a post in which you've thanked someone, and there will be a button for that.

Hey Adam, if they pruned some threads ... either manually or automatically ... your thanks could disappear.
Thanks, Ryan. I've seen that, but I haven't seen the points disappear with that. So, I believe that someone is just retracting. It's cool. People have the freedom to give and to take back. Again, I'm not complaining. I just haven't experienced it before (at least, not at this magnitude this quickly), so it was interesting enough to me to post it.

Again, probably should have gone in the boring thread...my apologies...

Spkr_Bldr

Spkr_Bldr

Full Audioholic
Then you should know that when you're in the red and you give someone pos rep it is a blue chicklet with no point value. :D
Haha, well I'm back in the green now :cool:

I ended up turning the rep system off on all my forums anyway. It's just another thing for people to ***** about, and that's the last thing forums need.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
"THE WHOLE REP SYSTEM SUCKS" I was informed by an anonymous negative chicky giver.:D

Thanks for letting me in on that, you've been a great help.:rolleyes:

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I find a lot of your posts to be cocky so I will probably give you a red chicklet at some point but I will sign it.:D

This is going to be weird for both of us because I am probably going to buy some of your speakers at some point too.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I find a lot of your posts to be cocky so I will probably give you a red chicklet at some point but I will sign it.:D

This is going to be weird for both of us because I am probably going to buy some of your speakers at some point too.
Then you won't be surprised by the outragous shipping rates. :eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis