Presumptuous aren't we?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Poor user elbichofede has a negative reputation already, and he hasn't done anything I can see but make 5 posts so he could PM me about something. His posts weren't up obstructive in any way, but someone decided that one or more of his little posts were annoying to them and gave a negative rep to a newcomer to the forum. Poor guy doesn't even get a chance.:(

IMO new members with less than the minimum amount of posts to post a link, picture, or send a PM should not have the capability to receive or give reputation (seems only fair if they cannot receive it, they shouldn't be able to give it until they are an established user to some degree).

FYI, I don't know elbichofede personally and I am not defending him in particular. I do think it's pretty silly that someone can't join the forum and make a few small posts that aren't negative at all and instantly get slammed in some way or another for it just because the posts seem odd to them.

We could be a little more welcoming to newcomers, this is a place of zen, peace and audio nirvana.:D

Matt34

Matt34

It's hard to tell a post padders intentions, majority of the time it's spammers. I think it's part of the intra-web's unspoken rules of forum etiquette.

Anywho, I fixed his rep.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
It's hard to tell a post padders intentions, majority of the time it's spammers. I think it's part of the intra-web's unspoken rules of forum etiquette.

Anywho, I fixed his rep.
Cool.

Spammers I can understand, but spammers are usually pretty easy to spot (because they post the same thing over and over again). Trolls are harder to pick out depending on their level of trollness.

The point is more that someone saw the post, was annoyed because they felt it had no merit (and it might not have). Some people with high reputation and post counts like to throw their weight around, that's for certain. I've said my piece about that once before, so I won't get into another debate about that one.;)

Thank you,

Seth

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

I run a very small forum, so I searched for elbichofede and gave him what little rep I could. Felt sorry for the small guy, and Seth is right.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Poor user elbichofede has a negative reputation already, and he hasn't done anything I can see but make 5 posts so he could PM me about something. His posts weren't up obstructive in any way, but someone decided that one or more of his little posts were annoying to them and gave a negative rep to a newcomer to the forum. Poor guy doesn't even get a chance.:(
The so-called 'rep' system is inherently flawed and I no longer pay any attention to it. It is nice when people appreciate the help you give and recognize it via Thanks or rep points but it is ultimately meaningless. Over time, the regulars learn who knows what about what topic (because hopefully they verify it against other reputable sources).

We now have a large number of people that have 9 or 10 green chicklets and with a few exceptions most of them know little to nothing. For example, the person that always posts about achieving some new milestone in green chiclets knows one and only one thing - the URL to the Speakercraft website. Someone will ask a complicated question that requires much explanation yet the response will be 'Oh, that's for the DVD player' and everyone will pile on with Thanks or positive rep. In reality, the respondent didn't know anything of value. Its's why I don't participate much anymore. I may check the forums once a day and I no longer answer the questions that come up over and over because invariably someone (or many) will respond with information that is provably false and yet get dozens of Thanks or positive rep.

It's a social experiment gone horribly awry....(but I don't care). The membership has changed for the worse but this is not my life and I have enough to deal with. Ce La Vie.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The so-called 'rep' system is inherently flawed and I no longer pay any attention to it. It is nice when people appreciate the help you give and recognize it via Thanks or rep points but it is ultimately meaningless. Over time, the regulars learn who knows what about what topic (because hopefully they verify it against other reputable sources).

We now have a large number of people that have 9 or 10 green chicklets and with a few exceptions most of them know little to nothing. For example, the person that always posts about achieving some new milestone in green chiclets knows one and only one thing - the URL to the Speakercraft website. Someone will ask a complicated question that requires much explanation yet the response will be 'Oh, that's for the DVD player' and everyone will pile on with Thanks or positive rep. In reality, the respondent didn't know anything of value. Its's why I don't participate much anymore. I may check the forums once a day and I no longer answer the questions that come up over and over because invariably someone (or many) will respond with information that is provably false and yet get dozens of Thanks or positive rep.

It's a social experiment gone horribly awry....(but I don't care). The membership has changed for the worse but this is not my life and I have enough to deal with. Ce La Vie.
ha, awesome

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Cool.

Spammers I can understand, but spammers are usually pretty easy to spot (because they post the same thing over and over again). Trolls are harder to pick out depending on their level of trollness.

The point is more that someone saw the post, was annoyed because they felt it had no merit (and it might not have). Some people with high reputation and post counts like to throw their weight around, that's for certain. I've said my piece about that once before, so I won't get into another debate about that one.;)

Thank you,

Seth
Very well spoken Seth. Just wished you was running for office here because you would have my vote. All points well taken my friend. ;);)

Cheers,

Phil

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
MDS, it's too bad that you don't post more like you use to. You've got a lot of great knowledge and input. I totally agree (and have stated so before) about the rep system. Once the "thanks" became worth three points, it was an exponential effect. People got more points and so could give more points, and it built on itself. It's just for fun, though, IMO. Heck, I love giving and getting points and rep. I kinda figure that some of it balances out - I can spend a couple of hours helping someone and get nothing, and then crack a joke and get a few points. Is the joke useful? Depends on your perspective. I see this forum as a social outlet as well as a place to come for A/V advice. I love helping people when I can, but I also enjoy have some fun with my friends - and I do consider some of the people here as friends.

My favorite kind of thank you, though? Posts like this one here. No thanks given, no rep given - and neither mattered. Someone was genuinely helped and was kind enough to let me know that, and to me - that's the tops.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Over time, the regulars learn who knows what about what topic
That's true. When I want help with something, I usually know who I want the help from.
That's the beauty of PM's.

We now have a large number of people that have 9 or 10 green chicklets and with a few exceptions most of them know little to nothing.
Guilty as charged but with the help of you and some others, I know more than when I got here. Best of all is that I have had a blast. In my case, those chicklets are an indication of how many laughs I've had around here. What I've learned since I got here might be better reflected by the fact that I now have a URC, cheesy but still dual subs, an old EQ and a Rives disc to drive my G/F batty with.
Man she hates that thing. :D

The membership has changed for the worse.
That might be because some of the good guys don't come around as much. :)

Last edited:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
good thing i don't know speakercrafts' URL.

lol
Ditto.

For MDS and Adam, one of the things I've always appreciated was that you guys always carried yourself with an amiable demeanor. Whether you were an absolute expert or neophyte for any particular matter, it was always apparent.

And FWIW, its not always about knowing the best answer (though sometimes it is). Sometimes people just need a hand to hold on to with the kind of insanity AV has to offer.

I know, for I've held plenty.

edit: ah I see Alex's post now. I can concur with the last line. I miss one in particular, as do most of us!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
agreed with ^

Adam has been answering many many threads that im just too lazy to reply to.

i'd give him a chicklet, but last i checked, rain doesn't fall up :D

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I'm nowhere near the most knowledgeable guy here but I try to help where I can. I've certainly received more help here than I've given and I appreciate that. At least the thanks button allows me to demonstrate that.

But in terms of giving advice, there is a balance. Some people don't come here with any background in A/V whatsoever and are looking for answers at their own level of understanding. Some come looking for simple answers but would never actually consider A/V a hobby at all, just a collection of appliances that they need help with. The level of technical knowledge here is outstanding but some guy asking if his entry level receiver will play his entry level speakers is just looking for a yes or no. He probably doesn't want to know about phase angles and frequency related impedence dips but the knowledge that shared in those conversations opens a new world of understanding to those interested enough to look.

What's my point? Just that there's room for everybody. Dumb it down for the absolute beginners and bring them along if they develop the interest. But at the same time, I hope the level of technical expertise remains high so that people in the middle, that love the hobby and need to learn, people like me, can continue to grow in the hobby as well.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Dang MDS, Steven can't help it, I mean...he's a used car salesman for Christ sakes...

Spkr_Bldr

Spkr_Bldr

Full Audioholic
Then there are some here who are apparently threatened by those who have equal or greater knowledge then their own, and feel the need to protect their 'territory' by giving negative rep. It makes the red chicklets harder to earn than green :)

edit ... damn, I'm back into green now!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Very well spoken Seth. Just wished you was running for office here because you would have my vote. All points well taken my friend. ;);)

Cheers,

Phil
I don't believe they have office runnings. The administrators of this forum pick the best people for the best job as they see it. I know I would not be a good moderator, at least not at present. I've got it in me, but I am presumptuous at times as well. I need to level out a bit more before any of that. I have some growings up to do.:D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
It makes the red chicklets harder to earn than green :)
If you say so. :confused: :rolleyes:
I guess I should have congratulated you for having two. A matched set. They were lovely. :)

Note: Being smart on it's own usually isn't enough to earn one of those babies.
A pinch of rude condesention is required. :D

See? Bet you would love to lay one on me now. ;)
Well go ahead, I haven't had one yet and based on this post alone I feel like I have earned it. :cool:
No really, go ahead. I have yet to get one and am kind of curious about how they look.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Alex,

I'm assuming that you're directing your "give me one" comment to Ryan. After all, his red chicklet would probably knock you down about two points. You weren't opening it up to the rest of us, were you? ;)

Adam

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis