Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-PK52FS review

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
What do you have in mind for a new receiver?. I vote for a Denon. :D
I already got a Yamaha 471, last year's model, but at the price point it has everything I need, plus the reviews mentioned how good the sound is. I do not know what people are talking about it does measure the sub in auto setup mode, it almost exactly hit the distance to my listening area and set the sound level. The only problem I had with the setup is it listed my fronts as large so when I first started listening to music it did not sound as good as my previous receiver, once I set the speakers to small the sound is very comparable to my HK 247. If I absolutely had to choose sound quality I think it would go to overtime and I'm not sure the HK would win. With the added video capabilities of the Yamaha it sure seems like a keeper to me.

I was going to go with a Denon but at the price point I couldn't imagine finding a Denon that would truly outperform the Yamaha unless I went to a step up model which would more than double the price.

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
I already got a Yamaha 471, last year's model, but at the price point it has everything I need, plus the reviews mentioned how good the sound is. I do not know what people are talking about it does measure the sub in auto setup mode, it almost exactly hit the distance to my listening area and set the sound level. The only problem I had with the setup is it listed my fronts as large so when I first started listening to music it did not sound as good as my previous receiver, once I set the speakers to small the sound is very comparable to my HK 247. If I absolutely had to choose sound quality I think it would go to overtime and I'm not sure the HK would win. With the added video capabilities of the Yamaha it sure seems like a keeper to me.

I was going to go with a Denon but at the price point I couldn't imagine finding a Denon that would truly outperform the Yamaha unless I went to a step up model which would more than double the price.

I'm glad that you are happy with the Yamaha. My history goes like this:
Optimus (15 years ago) - Pioneer - Onkyo - Yamaha - Denon.
After the Denon, I only imagine myself switching to separates and as far as now, only Denon/Marantz or Emotiva come to mind. :D

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I was a little worried about the home theater until I realized rather stupidly on my part that I spent so much time enjoying the speakers musically I never really broke in the center channel. Now it sounds much better. I couldn't figure out why I enjoyed the Yamaha with music but was ready to grab the nearest Denon when I tried watching a dvd. Now all is well, and I'm sure there is some way I can get better sound but much like the speakers for the price I am ecstatic, and unlike my HK receiver there has not been a single drop of video from dvd's to cable TV.

I'm more impressed with the speakers but I am happy with the receiver.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I like the 22 center too when I had it. I was pleasantly surprised. I'm glad you're loving the speakers. Hopefully I can replace my 52's in the future. I'm so happy with the NGX Pro 4.1's bookshelf's though very happy.:)

S

strada

Audiophyte
Question for all the owners and gurus here.

I've been looking to start a humble home theater setup to complement my Pioneer Kuro I've had for some years now. I did a lot of research in regards to home audio and finally stumbled on these. Heard them at Best Buy briefly but briefly and without any tinkering. Now from the reviews these seem to be excellent speakers, the only thing that I'm not terrible thrilled about is the looks and the sub which seems a little underpowered. I was looking at the older Klipsch RW-12D that is often on sale at Newegg for 299 as a replacement. I think that will be a decent start for now, as with all my other endeavors when my salary accommodates, I'm sure I'll delve further into the rabbit hole. Now before I stumbled onto these speakers, I was considering the Klipsch WF-35 icons as possible towers. They are also intermittently 299 at Newegg and sometimes less. Are these a worthy or better option than the Pioneers? The fit and finish seems to be several notches above, but in the end I guess I would prefer function to form, though the Icons may go well later as a bedroom setup that is functional and beautiful.

Thoughts/advice?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I was looking at the older Klipsch RW-12D that is often on sale at Newegg for 299 as a replacement. I think that will be a decent start for now, as with all my other endeavors when my salary accommodates, I'm sure I'll delve further into the rabbit hole. Now before I stumbled onto these speakers, I was considering the Klipsch WF-35 icons as possible towers. They are also intermittently 299 at Newegg and sometimes less. Are these a worthy or better option than the Pioneers? The fit and finish seems to be several notches above, but in the end I guess I would prefer function to form, though the Icons may go well later as a bedroom setup that is functional and beautiful.
I prefer Pioneer phase (2) speakers over the Klipsch sonic signature sound - however, the choice is yours.

For a tight budget, my sub preference would be the Cadence CSX12 subwoofer
CSX12 Mark II - Cadence Sound Store

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/review-cadence-csx-12-mark-ii-subwoofer?page=0,2

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
Question for all the owners and gurus here.

I've been looking to start a humble home theater setup to complement my Pioneer Kuro I've had for some years now. I did a lot of research in regards to home audio and finally stumbled on these. Heard them at Best Buy briefly but briefly and without any tinkering. Now from the reviews these seem to be excellent speakers, the only thing that I'm not terrible thrilled about is the looks and the sub which seems a little underpowered. I was looking at the older Klipsch RW-12D that is often on sale at Newegg for 299 as a replacement. I think that will be a decent start for now, as with all my other endeavors when my salary accommodates, I'm sure I'll delve further into the rabbit hole. Now before I stumbled onto these speakers, I was considering the Klipsch WF-35 icons as possible towers. They are also intermittently 299 at Newegg and sometimes less. Are these a worthy or better option than the Pioneers? The fit and finish seems to be several notches above, but in the end I guess I would prefer function to form, though the Icons may go well later as a bedroom setup that is functional and beautiful.

Thoughts/advice?
I also considered those Klipsch speakers. The problem I had is they are exclusive to Newegg so unless you have a Newegg near you they are impossible to listen to, and in the end it's all about the sound. It was hard for me to take the risk of ordering speakers without hearing them. I believe with Newegg you are responsible for return shipping and there is a restocking fee, I could be wrong there but I seem to remember that being a complete deal breaker for me.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I forgot to mention that when I was at Best Buy I struck up a conversation with one of the more knowledgeable salesmen and he grabbed a pair of the towers and let me listen to them in the Magnolia listening room. When I first heard them it was on the floor and the sound was nothing to get excited about, I was actually rather disappointed, but once I got them in the listening room they really came to life. It seems most Best Buys will also price match online retailers like Amazon or Tiger Direct. I got the last two towers they had in stock, there was some damage to the boxes so they took an extra $20 off per speaker, after the price match, the speakers themselves are not damaged in any way, so I actually got the whole system for around 350 tax included not much more than one of the Klipsch towers.

I'm not an expert on Klipsch some people love their sound but as has already been mentioned some people are not big fans, and with not being able to hear them first it was impossible for me to buy them. I would recommend if you are interested to at least listen to something in the Klipsch line to get an idea of their sound, unless of course you can get a listen to the WF's.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
the only thing that I'm not terrible thrilled about is ... the sub which seems a little underpowered.
Thoughts/advice?
I think it is inferred by the other posts, but you are right, the Pioneer sub is not in the same league as the speakers.

S

strada

Audiophyte
Thanks for the opinions everyone. The cadence sub looks to be a winner at a very nice price point. I suppose I'll have to listen to Pioneers as best I can this weekend and see if I like the sound more than some Klipsch options.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You should give serious consideration to an in home audition. I think Best Buy has a satisfaction guarantee (but verify). If you can float two pairs of speakers on your credit card or something, nothing beats comparing two pairs of speakers in your own room. I consider listening in BB pretty worthless. Magnolia room is better, but still not the same as listening at your own leisure, taking a weekend and trying different types of music, etc!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm pretty sure that BB still charges %15 restocking fee when you return things. Could be wrong though.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm pretty sure that BB still charges %15 restocking fee when you return things. Could be wrong though.
You got me curious, so I called them. No restocking fees. There are some things like opened software and DVD's that you cannot return, but they do not charge a restocking fee on any item.
I called corporate and confirmed this applies both to internet and in-store purchases.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You got me curious, so I called them. No restocking fees. There are some things like opened software and DVD's that you cannot return, but they do not charge a restocking fee on any item.
I called corporate and confirmed this applies both to internet and in-store purchases.
That's good. I'm glad they finally stopped that. They did it years ago, and it was one reason I stopped buying stuff there (not that I ever did anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I was told I have 30 days to audition my speakers with no restocking fee with the option of an exchange or cash back if I'm not satisfied.

I agree that there is simply no substitute for an in home audition, but based on the audition on the floor, I'm not sure I would have ever taken the speakers home. I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but I feel that a listen in a more private room will have you bringing your car up to the front door and loading up the speakers for that in home audition in no time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis