Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-PK52FS review

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I have a BDP-65 and it has a decent enough analog section, so I am sure it will be fine. I said this already: SACD does not guarantee better sound. GIGO applies here, just as it does for any audio format. That's why I mentioned better quality discs earlier; those known to be recorded and mastered well, because that has more to do with it than the DACs or the fact that it is SACD.
True, as is obvious when you have a fairly large CD collection some are much better than others, and once you finally get yourself something other than boombox speakers, you realize some of your favorite CD's really aren't worth listening to anymore.

Obviously, I'm hoping what I ordered falls into the well mastered category.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
Just got the BDP-150 hooked up through hdmi watched a couple movies and now trying the SACD's that just arrived. They are classical and sound really good, I just wish I had a regular CD of the same type so I could compare. Is the sound typically better through analog, or am I fine being lazy and only using HDMI?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So I go to best buy today and was reminded of why I don't shop there. Did you guys know that you can't use a tower speaker for the center channel?!?!?!? :eek: Now for the listening tests. Wish me luck.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
So I go to best buy today and was reminded of why I don't shop there. Did you guys know that you can't use a tower speaker for the center channel?!?!?!? :eek: Now for the listening tests. Wish me luck.
I couldn't tell you the last time I was in a Best Buy before I got these speakers for the exact same reason, but they price match and you get 30 days to try out the speakers.

Good luck, and enjoy.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I couldn't tell you the last time I was in a Best Buy before I got these speakers for the exact same reason, but they price match and you get 30 days to try out the speakers.

Good luck, and enjoy.
Thank you sir. I plan to.

Out with the old, in with the new. I can't believe I haven't purchased a speaker since 1996. Holy crap I'm getting old.

View attachment 11420

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So I played a few songs since my last post and well, these are pretty fantastic. Hard to believe they cost as little as they do. My playlist is below, and I'll hold off on specific comments until later, but I'm pretty happy. I can't wait to go to the HTD office on Wednesday and see how these compare to the Level Two and Three speakers from HTD.

View attachment 11421

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
So I played a few songs since my last post and well, these are pretty fantastic. Hard to believe they cost as little as they do. My playlist is below, and I'll hold off on specific comments until later, but I'm pretty happy. I can't wait to go to the HTD office on Wednesday and see how these compare to the Level Two and Three speakers from HTD.

View attachment 11421
Yeah my Level Three monitors will be here Tuesday the 12th, got them the last day of the 10% off sale, I can't believe their shipping charges, I got the tracking info with one box, weight 51pounds, shipping cost $15, how do they do that. I hope they sound as good as they look.
Cheers Jeff

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think you'll be VERY happy with the level three series. One of the best tweeters I've heard for the money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
After many hours of listening I've come to the conclusion that these speakers have no business having as much bass output as they do. The tweeter is very nice, and isn't too "in your face". What I mean is it does it's job very well, and I noticed no fatigue in the three straight hours of listening. At low volumes there really isn't much to say, but when you turn the dial they really come alive. Jeff Buckley's Grace is what my recording engineer buddy calls "the benchmark to which all modern recording should be compared". I tend to agree. One of the best recording I've heard (anyone have any other recommendations I'd love to hear them), and it sounds fantastic. His voice is full and dead center as it should be. Many others in my list deserve note, but they all sound so good it's hard to pick. I chose quite a bit of acoustic guitar and while some of the recordings aren't the best, these speakers let the higher notes ring true. Very nice.

For ~$212 I paid I really like these speakers. Whether or not I keep them is another story. I love them, but am looking for a higher level. This isn't to say ANYTHING bad about these speakers. If you are on a budget, there is no reason to look elsewhere. The fact that these make the Polk and Klipsch that best buy sells for many times the price of these look bad should tell you something. Even the highest priced tower in the Klipsch synergy line ($500 per speaker) can't even produce as much bass as these, and we all know how those horns sound. If you are leery of buying ID or don't have the ability to audition speakers, but want something great for a small sum of money, look no further. Still can't believe how good these are. Thanks for pointing them out.

Hell, I may keep them just because I can't find a reason not to. Now to find a place to put them...:D

K

Kinnick

Audiophyte
Hi everyone, I am new to home audio, so I am a complete rube. Please be gentle. I have a few questions. I got the bs22's awhile ago along with the c22 and the sub that goes with it. I had planned to put the bs's as the surround speakers and get the FS52's as fronts (haven't purchased yet). But now I am thinking of doing something I haven't seen on this thread yet. How would getting another set of bs22's(as mains. I love their sound) plus one more sub compare as opposed to the fs52's? I would use them just like they were the bigger speakers with the 2 subs either directly under the bs22's or possibly somewhere else if they did not sound as good there. I was just thinking that I like the bs22's so much it would be great to have a little more range than the fs52's. I have a small a/v receiver that puts out 75 watts at 8ohm so I think that the bookshelves would be a better match. Also maybe somewhere down the line I would get a better sub that would reach down to the low 20's to fill in the bottom while also keeping the pioneer subs. I'm just spitballing here. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
You should always get what sounds best to you, no matter what anyone else says since it is you that has to listen to the speakers for years, but of course it is never a bad thing to ask for advice.

If you like the sound of the bookshelves, there is no reason not to use them as fronts. Many people prefer the sound of bookshelves and use them as fronts, I myself used bookshelves for fronts for several years so no issue at all there. The only thing I would ask is if you tried the towers, if you have and prefer the bookshelves great, if you have not, you might want to consider giving the towers a listen.

K

Kinnick

Audiophyte
Thanks for you reply Jimz. Yes I have heard the FS 52's but it was in a best buy showroom. They did not sound very great there. I also listen to the BS22's which didn't sound good either, so I think it was the room itself because once I got them home they sounded awesome. I was wrong on my reciever specs. It is 65 watts at 8ohms so I really don't think it has enough power to make the 52's sound good. Another question. I have another amp rated for 150 watts bridged. I was thinking about getting another and hooking each amp to the 52's. I really don't want to spend the money for the extra amp but I have read on here that the 52's like the extra power. My situation as far as money goes is it's tight but I might be able to swing it if people on here think it is worth it. I've also seen on here that many say save up for a better sub but I think my wife will kill me if I do that right now. Long winded, very sorry, but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The BS22s with a sub should be an excellent setup. I've run them that way in two of my setups and I had no complaints.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
My situation as far as money goes is it's tight but I might be able to swing it if people on here think it is worth it. I've also seen on here that many say save up for a better sub but I think my wife will kill me if I do that right now. Long winded, very sorry, but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
This would be a good sub to look into - and the price is real good, if you can swing it
JBL SUB150P - Newegg.com

http://www.avhub.com.au/images/stories/australian-hifi/reviews/2011-05_to_12/2011-11/jbl_sub150p_subwoofer_review_lores.pdf

K

Kinnick

Audiophyte
Wow, how easily I'm swayed. I just bought the JBL from newegg. Somehow I missed that one over the last 2 weeks I have been looking at subs and speakers. Thanks for the heads up. Would you recommend using it solo or with the smaller pioneer sub.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Wow, how easily I'm swayed. I just bought the JBL from newegg. Somehow I missed that one over the last 2 weeks I have been looking at subs and speakers. Thanks for the heads up. Would you recommend using it solo or with the smaller pioneer sub.
Expierment solo first - the JBL will be more powerful and dynamic.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Good move and congrats on the sub, I highly reco you use it on it's own first, I think you are going to be very pleasantly surprised, well not surprised, according to the specs and seemingly well designed enclosure you should expect excellent results. You may decide that the PIO sub will detract from the SQ of the JBL. Let us know what you think, this sub seems to be all over the ID market, never even see it prior to Jim's reco, good call brother.
Cheers Jeff

K

Kinnick

Audiophyte
I'll let you know how it works out. Just from internet reviews it sounds like I got a steal. I hope it's good. One thing is for sure, I know it will be MUCH better than the pioneer. Now I can slide that back to my computer set up. Thanks again for the recommendation! The bad news is that I'm just getting back into this possibly very expensive hobby &... I already have upgradeitis. ahhhh step away from the computer and no more endless searching for the best sound to cost ratio.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I have a JBL venue series 12 inch sub running with the tower fronts and the sub integrates quite well. Based on price paid, and specs the subs seem to be very similar so I'm sure you will be happy.

I agree the speakers do not sound good on the floor, I was lucky and had a knowledgeable salesperson and he hooked them up in a listening room, what a difference. If you are at all considering the towers Best Buy allows a 30 day trial with cash back and no restocking fee. So you can always try the towers, then exchange them for the bookshelves if you prefer. If there is any doubt, you'll probably feel better if you give the towers a take home trial. Make sure you look at them on Tiger Direct's site, they tend to have the towers for 100 each and the bookshelves at 90 a pair, Best Buy will match those prices.

ahblaza

ahblaza

That's what happens when you let your fingers do the talking $$$$$$$$, I try to stay off the AH site for a few days a week, I just can't help buying something, and most of the time it's want, not need. You do need the 52's, especially now that you have a sub that will do them justice. In home trial free, no like, take back to BB.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis