Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-PK52FS review

S

shinokuu

Audiophyte
right now i currently have the sp-f52, c22, and sw-8 setup. I am wondering if it is fine to use the bs-21 for the surrounds? Or should i stick with the Phase 2 series so the audio matches with each other? I figured it is the back that it wouldn't matter too much.

My other question is which is better: the sw-8, sw-8mk2, or polk psw-10? I am trying to go on a budget here.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
right now i currently have the sp-f52, c22, and sw-8 setup. I am wondering if it is fine to use the bs-21 for the surrounds? Or should i stick with the Phase 2 series so the audio matches with each other? I figured it is the back that it wouldn't matter too much.

My other question is which is better: the sw-8, sw-8mk2, or polk psw-10? I am trying to go on a budget here.
The BS21 will be fine for surrounds.

I would for sure skip the Polk sub - what is the budget for subwoofers?

S

shinokuu

Audiophyte
The BS21 will be fine for surrounds.

I would for sure skip the Polk sub - what is the budget for subwoofers?
my budget is around $100. I am using these speakers in a 13x13x7 ~1200 cubic feet or 169 square feet room. I bought the sw-8 to try it out at the moment and it sounds fine, but i want to know what's my other option since i can return this. What is the main diff between that model and the sw-8mk2? The only thing i can find is that the wood construction is different. That's about it.

also is there a big difference of using the bs21 or bs22 for surrounds?

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
my budget is around $100. I am using these speakers in a 13x13x7 ~1200 cubic feet or 169 square feet room. I bought the sw-8 to try it out at the moment and it sounds fine, but i want to know what's my other option since i can return this. What is the main diff between that model and the sw-8mk2? The only thing i can find is that the wood construction is different. That's about it.

also is there a big difference of using the bs21 or bs22 for surrounds?
As far as the speakers for surrounds, no big difference - if doing
multi-channel music, then I would use the BS22

The differnce in the new sub is mainly the wood, I would not worry
about changing for the new sub. > I have no sub recommendations
for your $100 budget.

R

RFed

Audiophyte
Hey all, I'm fairly new to home theater and buying my first real set up. From reviews and from here I plan on buying a pair of 52's and the matching center. Will eventually get the surrounds. Most likely will get the HSU STF sub. Heard it's a great value sub?
My main question is a receiver that will work for this set up?
I've been looking at the Denon AVR-1613. Could pick up a refurbished one off acc4less for $250 plus shipping.

Any other suggestions for receiver would be great appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Come on Gene, post the Audioholics review of the Andrew Jones Pioneer Towers already! :D

LOA5000

LOA5000

Audioholic Intern
I would find a way to get the kliptch 12d on new egg for 300 dollars its is awesome for the price

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Come on Gene, post the Audioholics review of the Andrew Jones Pioneer Towers already! :D
May be he is still trying to figure how to tell us that they are not as good as people say they are. Shouldn't be too hard to do though, just have to remind people of the bang for the buck theory. At those selling price, they may be untouchable regardless.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
May be he is still trying to figure how to tell us that they are not as good as people say they are. Shouldn't be too hard to do though, just have to remind people of the bang for the buck theory. At those selling price, they may be untouchable regardless.
I doubt that's what he thinks. Let's be patient in due time.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
He's already made some very favorable comments, so I hope that isn't the case. We shall see.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Peng,
For me, there is no question but that they sound better than the P363's. I was happy to hear Gene endorsing them as well, since his ear is likely better trained for discriminating SQ than mine.
That said, until we see measurements, there is always the possibility that the speaker performs some type of "trick of perception" to sound better than it measures.

Last edited:
X

Xaios

Audiophyte
Hola hombres. I saw these speakers on the End-of-Year awards, and I've been looking into them. They seem to be a great value. The problem is that I can't locate anyone in Canada that sells them. The overall system has a different model number in Canada (S-HSAJ2). However, literally the only reference to this model number anywhere online is on Pioneer's Canadian site. Neither Future Shop, Best Buy or Visions seem to carry this particular system (searching by both it's American and Canadian model number) despite all being Pioneer vendors. Anyone know where I can find one?

T

treve01

Enthusiast
i have the same problem, i really would like to buy these speakers, but i cannot find anyone shipping it to Belgium for reasonable price. plz help

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
I don't know about you guys, but looking at their price, I'm considering to buy 3 towers instead of the traditional 2 towers & 1 center. Best buy has the towers for $99 and the center is at the same price. Also the center doesn't convince me. I expected it to have bigger cone area on the woofers which are only 4". I really don't know if it has enough output to match the towers by having only two small woofers and no midrange drivers. Something like the Infinity Primus center layout would have been very nice. Of course, we have to wait to see what Gene finds out.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
I don't know about you guys, but looking at their price, I'm considering to buy 3 towers instead of the traditional 2 towers & 1 center. Best buy has the towers for $99 and the center is at the same price. Also the center doesn't convince me. I expected it to have bigger cone area on the woofers which are only 4". I really don't know if it has enough output to match the towers by having only two small woofers and no midrange drivers. Something like the Infinity Primus center layout would have been very nice. Of course, we have to wait to see what Gene finds out.
That's definitely the way to go, three 52s upfront:)

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
The only downside is that I will need to change my front layout because I have one of my subs under the center speaker. I will need to change both subs positions and run Audyssey again. Damn!!!, I'm really not that convinced by the C22 center..... Yet!!! :mad:

I have an old Cerwing Vega (about 10 years) which has two 6" woofers and sounds great. Now, going down to two 4" woofers somehow feels like a downgrade. I just hope we don't have to wait too long to see what Master Gene says! :D

Last edited:
ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
The only downside is that I would have to change my layout because I have one of my subs under the center speaker. I'm going to have to change my subs positions and run Audyssey again. Damn!!!, I'm really not that convinced by the C22 center..... Yet!!! :mad:

I just hope we don't have to wait too long to see what Master Gene says! :D
If you're not convinced yet with the center, what do you think will convince you, nothing is going to change regardless of what Gene says. As far as the validity of how good the 52's are, if you followed some of us owner's of the 52's who think they sound very good, that alone should add some credence to the 52 being a great performance to price ratio product. My take on the performance of the phase two series Pioneers is how to they sound not knowing the price. Does that change one's perspective of a speaker's sound character? I would have to agree with you that the center could probably work with the 52's, a third tower IMO would be the way to go if you can swing it, placement wise, it's not an overly obtrusive cabinet, and should work both asthetically and sonically, this would be an awesome front stage presentation:) And as said you can get the 52 for the same $ as the C22, no brainer for me.
Cheers Jeff

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis