Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-PK52FS review

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I agree that it's relative to price. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that they were not setup well in that Best Buy. However, I didn't buy anything there, so their loss. Mainly my point was that this thread gave me the impression that the new Pioneers were something amazing and drastically underpriced. My experience didn't match that impression. Anyway, not a big deal.

Ended up going with the Klipsch RF-82 IIs, matching center, and a HSU VTF-2 MK4 sub.
It all comes down to you and what floats your boat >>> I for sure
do not check for overall bass performace, in a Best Buy showroom.
Some people prefer a more aggressive sound. I have owned Klipsch
and Polk, and I do not prefer that forward presentation. However, I
understand why some people prefer Klipsch and Polk. Have Fun.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
LMAO, the best $300 you can spend on a sub is Klipsch? I am going to have to call BS on that one. (AVS :rolleyes:) It may not compete on output, but it will be a better sub, no question.

J

jennkel08

Audioholic Intern
LMAO, the best $300 you can spend on a sub is Klipsch? I am going to have to call BS on that one. (AVS :rolleyes:) It may not compete on output, but it will be a better sub, no question.
If the RW-12D is not the best subwoofer for 300 dollars any chance you can suggest some that for 300 are better?

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
I agree that it's relative to price. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that they were not setup well in that Best Buy. However, I didn't buy anything there, so their loss. Mainly my point was that this thread gave me the impression that the new Pioneers were something amazing and drastically underpriced. My experience didn't match that impression. Anyway, not a big deal.

I'm not into dubstep :)

Ended up going with the Klipsch RF-82 IIs, matching center, and a HSU VTF-2 MK4 sub.
That's comparing apples to apples :D Just supports what EVO said.....;) How did the HSU sound before you bought it:cool: I smell bacon...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Why would you not even buy one of them?
Because that subwoofer has some Doctor Boom, and Doctor Mud
seasoning in it, during music play back. May not be an overall big
deal for some, who are more interested in loudness. > For mainly
Home Theater, a lot of people could be happy with that sub.

I also remember you saying, you did not want a subwoofer that can,
or will draw attention to itself.

No need to worry, AVS will work real hard to talk you into buying the
subwoofer, or 2, or 3. > They are more about loudness and high spl,
whether it is music or not > even if you do not want something that
is good for waking people up.

Your call and choice, and good luck.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If the RW-12D is not the best subwoofer for 300 dollars any chance you can suggest some that for 300 are better?
The HSU that was already pointed out: the STF-2. Yes, it is $50 more, but it will be money well spent instead of buying the Klipsch and having to upgrade again in a few months when you find out that it just isn't that great.

J

jennkel08

Audioholic Intern
Because that subwoofer has some Doctor Boom, and Doctor Mud
seasoning in it, during music play back. May not be an overall big
deal for some, who are more interested in loudness. > For mainly
Home Theater, a lot of people could be happy with that sub.

I also remember you saying, you did not want a subwoofer that can,
or will draw attention to itself.

No need to worry, AVS will work real hard to talk you into buying the
subwoofer, or 2, or 3. > They are more about loudness and high spl,
whether it is music or not > even if you do not want something that
is good for waking people up.

Your call and choice, and good luck.
Okay, I trust what you are saying but out of curiosity have you heard the subwoofer?

I guess when I say I do not want a sub that will draw attention to itself I am going off of my last sub where when i pushed volume limits it would like rattle the whole enclosure and you could tell it was straining itself and whatnot. I do not at all mind loud bass as long as it doesnt sound bad. I do not mind people going wow thats some awesome bass. Before when my other mirage subwoofer with dual 8 inch woofers opposing each other was drawing attention to itself it was like with the rattle or you could tell it was too high or something like that.

How come they would want to talk me into buying any one thing in particular? I mean what benefit do they gain from it? And outta curiosity whats bad about loudness and SPL as long as its not really bad sounding loudness or SPL? I definitely want a subwoofer that can hold its own and give that quality sound for music and those nice good low freq rumbles during movies. I realized i can just turn the volume down or the sub down when people are sleeping but I will be probably using my HT system more when people are not sleeping so I dont mind something that has the ability to be cranked up.

What is your take on multiple subwoofers? They seem to have a pretty good argument for having at least two. With my last sub I definitely noticed spots in the room where there was more or less bass. If you look at the pictures I posted I do have kind of a wide seating arrangement so I wouldnt want the people on the sides getting way to much or no bass.

Also what is your opinion on the epik legend?

J

jennkel08

Audioholic Intern
The HSU that was already pointed out: the STF-2. Yes, it is $50 more, but it will be money well spent instead of buying the Klipsch and having to upgrade again in a few months when you find out that it just isn't that great.
I do not doubt that the STF-2 is a quality subwoofer. However several people on some forums on AVS about it commented saying that it would probably be underpowered for my room. That is why I am kind of hesitant about it.

A poster made this statement "I have a STF-2 in a 12x11ish room with 8' ceilings. The reports of it being a musical sub and not an output monster are valid. I will be upgrading to a ported 12" sonosub soon. I'm pretty positive your room is far too large for the STF-2. I'd venture to say even 2 STF-2s would be lacking severely. Don't get me wrong, it's a great sub... just not for your application.

EDIT: That was in response to the OP with the 24x24 room. Sealteamz6 room is IMO too large for a STF-2 as well."

my SN on AVS is sealteamz6 fyi

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I guess when I say I do not want a sub that will draw attention to itself I am going off of my last sub where when i pushed volume limits it would like rattle the whole enclosure and you could tell it was straining itself and whatnot.

And outta curiosity whats bad about loudness and SPL as long as its not really bad sounding loudness or SPL? I definitely want a subwoofer that can hold its own and give that quality sound for music and those nice good low freq rumbles during movies.

What is your take on multiple subwoofers?

Also what is your opinion on the epik legend?
You seem to be leaning towards a different direction now - You can
buy the Klipsch if you want to. The Mirage sub, with 8" woofers had
limitations.

There is nothing wrong about loudness or high SPL - as long as it is
clean, tight and controlled. If you want reference level, then go for
it. The Pioneer speakers were not made for reference levels.

Nothing wrong with 2 subwoofers, if you really feel the need. > The
key with one sub, is to properly place it. If you want 2 then buy 2.

If budget permits - the Epik or this HSU sub, would be my preference.
VTF-2 MK4 Subwoofer

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Epik Legend

You might like the Legend, but forget about CS:( that sub will set you back about $580 delivered, I think if you are considering that amount I would seriously think about this, it goes on sale often or better if you wait for this.
Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus Powered Subwoofer
Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX Powered Subwoofer
The EX usually is $100 off with free shipping $550, it should give you what your looking for in that room for now.The plus is no slouch either. You mentioned two subs (klipsch), I don't want to sound crude but listen to what's being said here, 1 nothing times 2 nothing equals nothing...:)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Customer service has been somewhat shakey - hopefully they are
doing better now.

The Rumba sub is starting to draw lots of attention
https://simplysoundaudio.com/Rumba_12.html
If you read the homepage, you'll see that the business operations are suspended, it looks like the guy who runs that business has fallen into some health issues. Its a shame, it did look like a good sub. Hopefully it gets back going again.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
If you read the homepage, you'll see that the business operations are suspended, it looks like the guy who runs that business has fallen into some health issues. Its a shame, it did look like a good sub. Hopefully it gets back going again.
Thanks for the post.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis