Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-PK52FS review

J

jennkel08

Audioholic Intern
So I have ordered the bs-22's for my rear surrounds and speaker cable. cause there was a one day deal on the 22s. havent pulled the trigger on the 3 fronts.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
So I have ordered the bs-22's for my rear surrounds and speaker cable. cause there was a one day deal on the 22s. havent pulled the trigger on the 3 fronts.
I would call that a beginning - good luck.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I don't want to drill into them, but with the round design I don't know if the clamping mounts that I've found will work
on these speakers.

Would there be any way to insert a nut or something in the back like most wall mountable speakers? I don't want to hurt
the speaker by putting holes in it, but I need to find a way to mount these things.
Pioneer does not have mountable options on the back of the speaker.
There is room for the PinPoint to grip the front part of the speaker. >
Another option would be wall-mount shelves - however, you still need
to leave some room for the rear port.

J

jennkel08

Audioholic Intern
I would call that a beginning - good luck.
For the price range that the SP-FS52 Floor-standing Loudspeakers and the SP-C22 center are in, would you say that in terms of SQ that would be the best option?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
For the price range that the SP-FS52 Floor-standing Loudspeakers and the SP-C22 center are in, would you say that in terms of SQ that would be the best option?
In my opinion, yes - however I do not guarantee anything.
In the end, you need to be satisfied. At their prices, they
should be seriously considered.

J

jennkel08

Audioholic Intern
In my opinion, yes - however I do not guarantee anything.
In the end, you need to be satisfied. At their prices, they
should be seriously considered.
Okay I ordered all 5 speakers. the center, 22s for the surrounds and the 52s for my fronts. Considering I love PSB's sound and ive heard these sound just as good and are cheaper I will probably be happy. I mean before I had these small satellite style infinity speakers and a sealed mirage sub with 2 6 inch woofers so I know they will sound better than my last 5.1 setup. Usually the only thing that turns me off from a speaker or speakers is if they sound too bright or harsh are give me listening fatigue. I will base my opinion of these price considered. Obviously they wont be as good as speakers that go for 1k and up. But I gotta be frugal with my money so yeah. And no worries I wont blame you if I dislike them haha.

Now I just need to figure out which subwoofer to get

C

crzycuyler

Audioholic Intern
I know there are way better subwoofers out there, but can anyone look through this list and imagine every price half off and tell me if they think a subwoofer is a reasonable partner for this Pioneer system. I get great audio discounts and 18 months no interest financing... I pretty much have to pick from these! I know its a lot to ask...

Best Buy Items : Subwoofer Speakers - Best Buy

And if it is a Polk Audio sub, I may get even more off... I hate sharing this information, but it changes the value equation so greatly.

I greatly appreciate it.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
The DefTech Supercube at half off would be pretty rad. Same with the Dynamo and the Polk DSW Pro 660wi. Maybe the Klipsch SW-450 to save some bucks.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
I know there are way better subwoofers out there, but can anyone look through this list and imagine every price half off and tell me if they think a subwoofer is a reasonable partner for this Pioneer system. I get great audio discounts and 18 months no interest financing... I pretty much have to pick from these! I know its a lot to ask...

Best Buy Items : Subwoofer Speakers - Best Buy

And if it is a Polk Audio sub, I may get even more off... I hate sharing this information, but it changes the value equation so greatly.

I greatly appreciate it.
For me you would have to get a huge discount on any of those subs, I'm not bashing any one of them, but I would consider the Klipsch SW-450 with a real nice discount. This sub has been reco'ed around here for a decent budget performer.
Amazon.com: BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer: Electronics
If you could hold off awhile (I probably missed something here) this sub would give you a nice start and option to trade up. But I think you are committed to Best Buy...yes, no?
STF-2 Subwoofer
Good luck, I would do without rather than be sorry later, but you can always return to Best Buy, right? Go listen to the Klipsch and see what you think, the bigger the discount the better it might sound..:D

J

jennkel08

Audioholic Intern
what do you guys think of this for a subwoofer?

Velodyne DEQ-10R Remote Controlled Home Theater Subwoofer

In terms of a subwoofer I am not really wanting to spend more than 450, preferably not more than 400 considering the 5.0 pioneer setup cost me 450

The ST-2 looks good but im reading mixed reviews on it. As much as I want and love deep hard hitting bass I am more interested in the subwoofer being able to fill the room with quality bass and have the subwoofer not stand out on its own as opposed to shaking the walls.

My room is 18x15.5 with 9ft high ceilings and a 5.5 x 8 nook in the back. listening position is about 7 ft from speakers

Last edited:
D

Drumheller

Enthusiast
I heard the FS52s over the weekend. Perhaps I had a bad setup, but I did not hear what people are raving about. They sounded like cheap tower speakers to me. Obviously everyone has different tastes but I thought they were nothing special.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
I heard the FS52s over the weekend. Perhaps I had a bad setup, but I did not hear what people are raving about. They sounded like cheap tower speakers to me. Obviously everyone has different tastes but I thought they were nothing special.
Where did you hear them, and what do cheap tower speakers sound like, seriously? I don't think it has much to do with taste:confused:

D

Drumheller

Enthusiast
Where did you hear them, and what do cheap tower speakers sound like, seriously? I don't think it has much to do with taste:confused:
Best Buy. To me, they were quiet, subdued, and had no bass.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would guess it was the setup.

Stores do this fairly often. They will take an inexpensive, good performing product and set it up so it doesn't perform well. That way they can up-sell you to a more expensive item!

They can always blame it on customers if you go into the receiver menu and find the bass turned down and the speakers were set to small with a 150Hz crossover!

That said, if you are into DubStep, look elsewhere!

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
They're not made to impress you in BestBuy (unlike most they sell) but give them a try at home and ill bet you'll keep em.
My 2 cents.
Cheers, Mac

J

jennkel08

Audioholic Intern
You gotta base your opinion of something on the price Drumheller. Obviously the pioneer towers aren't going to be as good sounding as pairs of towers that cost thousands of dollars. But then again not everyone has the money or wants to spend a ton of money on a home theater system. I demoed a pair of speakers that for the pair costed 250,000 dollars. They sounded pretty freaking amazing. But imo no matter how rich you are they seem like they aren't worth the price. I have the money to buy more expensive speakers but im a college student with other bills and priorities. I already thought the sound of my last cheap 5.1 setup was better than anything anyone I know has except for one friend. With the pioneers I will have the highest quality entertainment system out of everyone I know.

I am into rap and rock and metal and EDM music and all kinds of music. Im sure after I buy a sub I will be more than satisfied....dubstep is meh.

C

crzycuyler

Audioholic Intern
For me you would have to get a huge discount on any of those subs, I'm not bashing any one of them, but I would consider the Klipsch SW-450 with a real nice discount. This sub has been reco'ed around here for a decent budget performer.
Amazon.com: BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer: Electronics
If you could hold off awhile (I probably missed something here) this sub would give you a nice start and option to trade up. But I think you are committed to Best Buy...yes, no?
STF-2 Subwoofer
Good luck, I would do without rather than be sorry later, but you can always return to Best Buy, right? Go listen to the Klipsch and see what you think, the bigger the discount the better it might sound..:D
I haven't priced checked everything, but you truly can assume half off. This and the financing make me pretty set on going with Best Buy. I also have a small apartment that doesn't need much to fill, and I don't need to upset my neighbors. I just need a good value.

D

Drumheller

Enthusiast
You gotta base your opinion of something on the price Drumheller. Obviously the pioneer towers aren't going to be as good sounding as pairs of towers that cost thousands of dollars. But then again not everyone has the money or wants to spend a ton of money on a home theater system. I demoed a pair of speakers that for the pair costed 250,000 dollars. They sounded pretty freaking amazing. But imo no matter how rich you are they seem like they aren't worth the price. I have the money to buy more expensive speakers but im a college student with other bills and priorities. I already thought the sound of my last cheap 5.1 setup was better than anything anyone I know has except for one friend. With the pioneers I will have the highest quality entertainment system out of everyone I know.

I am into rap and rock and metal and EDM music and all kinds of music. Im sure after I buy a sub I will be more than satisfied....dubstep is meh.
I agree that it's relative to price. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that they were not setup well in that Best Buy. However, I didn't buy anything there, so their loss. Mainly my point was that this thread gave me the impression that the new Pioneers were something amazing and drastically underpriced. My experience didn't match that impression. Anyway, not a big deal.

I'm not into dubstep :)

Ended up going with the Klipsch RF-82 IIs, matching center, and a HSU VTF-2 MK4 sub.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
With due respect, part of what makes the pioneers special is how little they add to the recording. It's easy to make a speaker that seems special at first listen, but is otherwise a very poor speaker.

Best Buy. To me, they were quiet, subdued, and had no bass
As far as quiet, then why not just turn the volume up? :confused:

As far as bass goes, the biggest issue is the recording. If the recording does not have powerful bass relative to the rest of the track, a good speaker won't exaggerate the bass, whereas a bad speaker will exaggerate the bass not only in the compressed recording but everything else. It's a common trick to exaggerate bass response because people expect even crappy recordings to have great bass - when it just isn't there.

Subdued is a common first reaction to a tweeter that is well balanced. People often confuse a tweeter that is exaggerated with a tweeter that is resolving and detailed - when they are NOT the same thing!

Going back to your other thread I can see that you're probably not an experienced auditioner. You really do have to live with a neutral speaker for a while before you can make any judgements on them. Short auditions with an inexperienced ear and poorly selected source material will always favor the hot treble, exaggerated bass "smiley face curve". That's how a lot of people end up with otherwise muddy sounding boom n sizzle speakers.

There is definitely an adjustment period when it comes to GOOD neutral speakers. Without any experience / adjustment period you will be drawn toward the speakers that impress once, but may not have the same effect in the long term.

Stores do this fairly often. They will take an inexpensive, good performing product and set it up so it doesn't perform well. That way they can up-sell you to a more expensive item!
You're giving stores too much credit for competence. last time I was at a best buy, that had the energy speakers wired directly out of phase. How they couldn't hear it was beyond me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis