Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-PK52FS review

J

jasoon00454

Audiophyte
"It is unusual to redesign a good selling budget speaker after only one year.
Likely, they saw the opportunity for both cost reduction and SQ. In his interview he speaks of a 5X (IIRC) increase in the cost of neodymium magnets and how he was happy to figure out how to get equal performance out of ceramic magnets, so I'd bet that is one item of change."

Yeah.. I heard Andrew Jones say that due to price increase in production, the speakers were going to go up in price, even without any changes. He didn't want them to go up in price without making upgrades, and looking back at what he had done, he thought he could make improvements and stay within budget. Glad he did. The 52's sound amazing for the price :)

Last edited:
anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
"It is unusual to redesign a good selling budget speaker after only one year.
Likely, they saw the opportunity for both cost reduction and SQ. In his interview he speaks of a 5X (IIRC) increase in the cost of neodymium magnets and how he was happy to figure out how to get equal performance out of ceramic magnets, so I'd bet that is one item of change."

Yeah.. I heard Andrew Jones say that due to price increase in production, the speakers were going to go up in price, even without any changes. He didn't want them to go up in price without making upgrades, and looking back at what he had done, he thought he could make improvements and stay within budget. Glad he did. The 52's sound amazing for the price :)
Actually they had been around for two years but it took a year for them to catch on.

L

la2051

Audiophyte
Although noting it's not the most powerful sub on the planet, the recent CNET review commented favorably on the new Pioneer SW-8MK2 subwoofer, noting that it nicely complemented the rest of the system.

"[T]he new SW-8MK2 sub's amplifier and 8-inch woofer are nearly identical to the original's, but the new sub sounded pretty powerful mated with the SP-FS52 tower speakers. That might just mean that the sub is a better match with the towers than with the bookshelf models.

"To confirm that hunch about the SW-8MK2 sub's potency, we directly compared it with the Aperion Bravis 8D sub, which has two 8-inch woofers, and the Pioneer was awfully close in deep bass power. I'd give the nod to the Aperion sub, but at $450 it costs two-thirds as much as the complete SP-PK52FS system. The SW-8MK2 succeeds by blending in with the rest of the SP-PK52FS system, but it's not the sort of subwoofer that can truly shake the foundation of your home. Larger and more-powerful 10- or 12-inch subs can, but again, they're typically more expensive than the entire Pioneer system."​

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hey Kurt, Life and Zieg, I got me a pair of the FS52's today at Best Buy, they matched the TD online price. Fifteen minute drive and I had the speakers. Just unboxed these puppies and put the bases on. These are quite attractive and seem well built, my wife just started shaking her head when she saw me walking in the house with more speakers. :D If I like these in a 2.1 setup, I may get a single 52 as a center, it will fit just right under the 50" Panny, then slide the 41's in as sides, I'll let you know what I think. ;) Zieg, ears are all waxed out my friend :D
Jeff

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
If I like these in a 2.1 setup, I may get a single 52 as a center, it will fit just right under the 50" Panny, then slide the 41's in as sides, I'll let you know what I think. ;) Zieg, ears are all waxed out my friend :D
Jeff
Make sure you check back in - however be careful, the soundstage
will open up, for a nice presentation.:)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Now available at Parts Express.

Not the best price out there, but PE has pretty good sales from time to time too.

pioneer_speakers_by_andrew_jones - Parts Express Ships Fast and Ships Free
Yes they should be selling more speakers now >> since they
do not seem to be restriced, more or less by Best Buy when
phase (1) was released.

I have been giving the BS22 bookshelf speaker, more of a work
out today. This speaker is not a wimp >> it is nicely built, and
is a seriously realistic sounding speaker >> I am not in a rush for
something like a BS42 >> The little woofer can put out some nice
sound. The bass is tight, tuneful and articulate - the soundstage
does open and expand. The midrange and treble that you get with
a speaker at this price, is crazy. And yes, it can handle movies >>
and also, it is not a wimp with movies. While the BS21 was nice,
The bar has been raised with the BS22.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Hey Kurt, Life and Zieg, I got me a pair of the FS52's today at Best Buy, they matched the TD online price. Fifteen minute drive and I had the speakers. Just unboxed these puppies and put the bases on. These are quite attractive and seem well built, my wife just started shaking her head when she saw me walking in the house with more speakers. :D If I like these in a 2.1 setup, I may get a single 52 as a center, it will fit just right under the 50" Panny, then slide the 41's in as sides, I'll let you know what I think. ;) Zieg, ears are all waxed out my friend :D
Jeff
Can't wait to hear your thoughts. These thing sound real no BS with coloring music. Careful with the placing. Try not to put them too inward or the music will sound like it's coming from your center speaker.:D Oh and get the center it's crisp. I'm so happy with them!:eek:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You guys need to stop. I now want a set of these instead of the HSU speakers I was looking at. 3 floor standers behind the screen would be pretty sweet. :cool:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You guys need to stop. I now want a set of these instead of the HSU speakers I was looking at. 3 floor standers behind the screen would be pretty sweet. :cool:
Sound like the damage is done, you just need a little time to come to terms...:)

You'll get no apology from me, these are great speakers!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Just an update. I got the 41's yesterday and have been listening to them, they are definitely very nice speakers for the $85/pr. paid. Now newegg is back to $150 for them.
I hope to get to the comparo later today - definitely tomorrow if not.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes they should be selling more speakers now >> since they
do not seem to be restriced, more or less by Best Buy when
phase (1) was released.

I have been giving the BS22 bookshelf speaker, more of a work
out today. This speaker is not a wimp >> it is nicely built, and
is a seriously realistic sounding speaker >> I am not in a rush for
something like a BS42 >> The little woofer can put out some nice
sound. The bass is tight, tuneful and articulate - the soundstage
does open and expand. The midrange and treble that you get with
a speaker at this price, is crazy. And yes, it can handle movies >>
and also, it is not a wimp with movies. While the BS21 was nice,
The bar has been raised with the BS22.
So the question then is, for $20 less, is the BS21 OK or would you go for BS22s? I actually kind of like the look of the 21s ($78 vs $99)

I missed out on the 41s at $85, but I can wait for NE to do that again :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
So the question then is, for $20 less, is the BS21 OK or would you go for BS22s? I actually kind of like the look of the 21s ($78 vs $99)

I missed out on the 41s at $85, but I can wait for NE to do that again :)
The BS21 is OK - however, I could not live with it long term.

Having owned both, I would spend for the BS22. >> The BS22 has
better definition, with better imaging and soundstage presentation.
With the BS21, the sound hangs more around the speaker, and the
highs sound more rolled off. The BS22 does a better job of nailing
the treble and midrange, with deeper and more articulate bass. To
put it in simple terms, the BS22 has opened up compared to the 21,
without being forward, harsh or edgy sounding.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
41 vs 52

This was an interesting listening session, and took longer than I expected!

To minimize the effect of position, I set the 41's upside down and on top of the 52's. This put the 41 tweeters 6-1/2" above the 52 tweeters.

Because the 52's have deeper bass, I leveled the bass playing field to better hear on the rest of the speakers' sound. I ran the signal from the CD player into my Emotiva USP-1 with the crossover set to 130Hz. This signal then ran into my pair of Marantz receivers for level matched A/B comparisons. Both receivers were set to "Pure Direct" mode. No sub was used, just rolling off the speakers at 130Hz.

I primarily listened to Ed Palmaro's big band. It is a perverse combination of a big jazz band (or swing band) playing Frank Zappa's music. The recording quality is top notch. Other artists are as noted.

The first listening impression I got is that these speakers have a lot in common. There was one place where only sax and glockenspiel were playing and when I switched, I had to visually confirm that the remote worked.

The next thing I noticed was sometimes the 52's had a wider sound-stage than the 41's. after a while switching between them with my eyes closed, I realized that the effect was as if I had taken the speakers and moved them 3' closer together. The speakers are 11' apart, so if we consider that the norm, the 41's sound like they are 8' apart. The problem is this effect was inconsistent! After more time I realized that anytime the ride cymbal was being played, this difference was easily noticed, and later I established that if HF content was there the sound-stage of the 52's would be wider. The 41 tweeter has good extension and decent shine. The 52 has a little bit more shine and more "air" that somehow gave the perception of the larger stage. Listening to Katy Perry's voice, I detected an air she has to her voice that was lessened on the 41's - and the same soundstage effect previously associated with the ride cymbal (interesting that there is such a HF component from her voice alone).
While the 52 had a wider stage, the 41's had a fuller, more solid sound; however the sound of the 52 had greater appeal to me.

Looking for midrange differences was tougher. I found them listening to Alanis Morsette (Jagged Little Pill - Acoustic). Her voice lost much of its metallic edge on the 41's. It is interesting that something so elusive with other music becomes so obvious with her voice as the litmus test! Her voice actually sounds less frail on the 41's, but it is the unique combination of frailty, power, and edge that makes it Alanis.

I next listened to another of my audition standards, Yes - Heart of the Sunrise. For this tune, I found I preferred the 41's! After more time to figure out why, I started to play with the volume knob and reached the conclusion that the 41's were between 1 and 2db louder in this mid-bass region. I had level matched them for overall music, but the mostly isolated bass lines highlighted the disparity. I really can't say which is correct, just tell you the relative difference. I believe this is the source of the "fuller, more solid" sound I mentioned the 41's having earlier.

Next, I eliminated the crossover. Obviously the 52's have deeper bass. Interestingly, I'm not sure I can say they have "more" bass. On Heart of the Sunrise, I was surprised not to see the 52's become dominant. The 41's louder bass outweighed any additional depth that the 52's offered. Furthermore, the 41's seemed better balanced on this particular tune. If I level matched the bass lines, the 52 seemed too loud on the treble (mainly cymbals). It just goes to show that you need to audition speakers with a wide variety of music to get a better overall sense.
Steely Dan's (Big) Black Cow was a different story. It had enough deep bass content to make the added depth of the 52's outweigh the 41's solid mid-bass.

In conclusion, no surprise - the 52's have better sound, but the 41's are no slouch. You can tell they have a lot in common in their voicing.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
This was an interesting listening session, and took longer than I expected!
The first listening impression I got is that these speakers have a lot in common.
Thanks for your time and review.

The 1 and 2 series do have a lot in common. However, the sparkle
and air, with a bigger and wide soundstage > and along with more
clarity/definition in the human voices, and even the instruments >
is what draws me more into the source/sound for enjoyment. With
the series (1), I wanted more - with the series (2), I find that I am
more at ease and can listen longer. I have been trying now for a few
days to get my modded Cambridge and/or Boston VS speakers out
of the closet. However, the BS22 seems to be in no rush to rest.:)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I am now buying a pair of the 22's.:eek: I see Best Buy has them for $100/pr.
Since I had everything set-up for it, I just did a quick comparo of my EMP 41Be's against the Pioneer 52's.
While the two speakers sound different, I could not reach a conclusion as to which was better in about 20 minutes. Unfortunately I won't get the opportunity to really sort this out until Monday at the earliest, but not being able to decide is impressive. There were places where one or the other sounded better, but it seemed about even. Most of the time the sounded different, but I could not say one was better than the other!
The Pio's had more of the HF string sound on mandolins which was nice, but there were other places where the EMP's impressed. The Pio's seem to have a slight edge on HF extension, but I did not experience any sound stage narrowing with the EMPs.

Jim Z, I wish I had your ears/audio memory.
I can't discriminate near as well as you do without a level matched A/B set-up!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
After spending more time comparing them, I feel the EMP's are better, but not near consistent with how much more they cost.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I am now buying a pair of the 22's.:eek: I see Best Buy has them for $100/pr.
I do understand that some people may/would prefer the 41
over the 22, due to the larger woofer and deeper bass. For
me, the star of the new series is the tweeter, along with the
good crossover work. Have fun with your auditions. Speaker
collecting can become habit forming.:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis