Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player - Update

W

wriverah

Audiophyte
Oppo features

I am thinking to buy Oppo BDP83, but only if I can hook up an wireless (wifi) module thru its ethernet port. Will that be possible? I know this baby does not have a streaming movie service, but I guess I can subscribe to any of the streaming movie services available in the web and download to the Blu-Ray. Will be that possibe? I am kind of a novice trying to get up to speed on the technolgy.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am thinking to buy Oppo BDP83, but only if I can hook up an wireless (wifi) module thru its ethernet port. Will that be possible? I know this baby does not have a streaming movie service, but I guess I can subscribe to any of the streaming movie services available in the web and download to the Blu-Ray. Will be that possibe? I am kind of a novice trying to get up to speed on the technolgy.
You would need a wireless bridge to connect this way.

No, streaming is not downloading so you don't actually have a copy of the files needed to burn it to a disc.

808htfan

Junior Audioholic
Maybe you'd be interested in their wireless bridge set up, http://www.oppodigital.com/wireless-bridge-kit-WBK1/. I also see a link for a $10 rebate there at the moment.

:)

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I guess there is a new firmware release out, for those of you that aren't in the know, going to DL tonight when I get home.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I downloaded it over the weekend but haven't applied it as I haven't encountered any problem discs since doing the SE upgrade.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I have yet to ever have a problem with my 83, but thought I would post it for others.

Haven't seen much along the lines of feedback on the new firmware... any links?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
According to their site, and mentioned in a previous thread:

Comparing to the previous official release version BDP83-40-0925, the major changes included in this version are:

1. Blu-ray Disc compatibility improvement, especially for certain titles such as the European version of "Terminator Salvation", Indican's "The Wonder of It All", and "(500) Days of Summer" from Fox.
2. Subtitle shift feature. During playback, press and hold the "SUBTITLE" button to activate the function and then use up/down arrow buttons to move the subtitle. The shift position is saved in the "Video Setup" - "Display Options" section of the setup menu. This feature is useful for customers with 2.35:1 projection screens.
3. OSD position feature. The OSD (On-Screen Display) can be moved to work together with the subtitle shift feature. There is a new setup menu item in the "Video Setup" - "Display Options" section for this.
4. Auto mode for HDMI Audio format. The new "Auto" mode enables the player to use bitstream audio output for audio formats that are supported by the A/V receiver, and LPCM for formats that cannot be decoded by the A/V receiver.
5. Setup menu changes. Some items are re-grouped into the "Display Options" sub-menu under "Video Setup". Some items are re-ordered in the menu structure to improve the ease of use.
6. Experimental feature - home network streaming. This feature can be accessed from the "My Network" icon in the "Home Menu" screen. It requires a DLNA-capable media server running on your computer. The supported media types are the common set of what the player can decode and what the media server can stream.
7. Experimental Feature - BluTV. This is an interactive television service that will initially feature channels such as casual games, widgets and movie art. To use this feature, the "BD-Live Network Access" item in the "Network Setup" section and the "Secondary Audio" item in the "Audio Format Setup" section of the player's setup menu must be turned on.
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/bdp-83-firmware-48-1224b.aspx

I had a number of DVD-A and SACD issues early on, but as of the previous firmware, they were resolved.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis