Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player - Update

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Definitely looking forward to updates.

DJ
From the AVS forum...it appears that the dedicated 2channel outputs are on a separate board from the MCH with upgraded OP amps, resistors, etc. The output difference is most likely attributable to the OP amps higher voltage.

Anyway, I'll have to do some experimenting and tone down the bass a bit. There's no sub in the chain, but the way I had it set last weekend, it sounded like I had a sub set too hot.

P

PeterWhite

Audioholic
My BDP83 doesn't like DVD-A

The player arrived yesterday. Loading a BluRay disc was very fast. Image quality and sound is great. However, when I played a DVD-A disc, it stopped outputting sound at the beginning of track 4. It continued to count time; it was tracking the disc, but suddenly, there was no sound. This is a disc I've played several times on the Oppo DV980 and the Onkyo 504 without any problem.

So I tried another DVD-A disc, and exactly the same thing happened. It played correctly until it reached track 4 and immediately stopped outputting sound. Skipping ahead to track 5 and then back to track 4 restored sound output, just as it had with the first DVD-A disc.

There's no indication from the front panel display that anything is amiss. It's connected to the Onkyo 805 receiver via HDMI.

I'll try some SACDs and CDs this evening. And I haven't yet tried any DVD-video discs. It was pretty late so I didn't call Oppo's tech support. I'll try them later this afternoon. They've been very helpful in the past.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
The player arrived yesterday. Loading a BluRay disc was very fast. Image quality and sound is great. However, when I played a DVD-A disc, it stopped outputting sound at the beginning of track 4. It continued to count time; it was tracking the disc, but suddenly, there was no sound. This is a disc I've played several times on the Oppo DV980 and the Onkyo 504 without any problem.

So I tried another DVD-A disc, and exactly the same thing happened. It played correctly until it reached track 4 and immediately stopped outputting sound. Skipping ahead to track 5 and then back to track 4 restored sound output, just as it had with the first DVD-A disc.

There's no indication from the front panel display that anything is amiss. It's connected to the Onkyo 805 receiver via HDMI.

I'll try some SACDs and CDs this evening. And I haven't yet tried any DVD-video discs. It was pretty late so I didn't call Oppo's tech support. I'll try them later this afternoon. They've been very helpful in the past.
This happened to me on Monday. I put in Yes "Fragile" and I had same behavior. Since I hadn't had a problem with any other disk, I thought it was either one of the few disks that has had reported problems or was just wonky. I put in a couple of other selections, Steely Dan "Everything Must Go" and "Gaucho" immediately after with no issues. This kind of behavior has happened with specific DVD As. They usually request that you send them the disk. They analyze and try to repeat the problem, building a bug library or identifying problem disks, then return it. If it's fixable through firmware it will happen.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
This happened to me on Monday. I put in Yes "Fragile" and I had same behavior. Since I hadn't had a problem with any other disk, I thought it was either one of the few disks that has had reported problems or was just wonky. I put in a couple of other selections, Steely Dan "Everything Must Go" and "Gaucho" immediately after with no issues. This kind of behavior has happened with specific DVD As. They usually request that you send them the disk. They analyze and try to repeat the problem, building a bug library or identifying problem disks, then return it. If it's fixable through firmware it will happen.
I only had this happen the first day and when I ejected and re-played the disc in question it was OK. Since then, no discs have given me issues, but I haven't tried all of my DVD-As.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Email them see what they say....it would not be the first time a DVD player mfr. updated firmware for a specific movie or music media playback problem.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Email them see what they say....it would not be the first time a DVD player mfr. updated firmware for a specific movie or music media playback problem.
Absolutely, contact them and let them know there's a problem. That's the only way to get it taken care of.

DJ

P

PeterWhite

Audioholic
I spoke with Oppo tech support and they asked me to install their beta firmware. That fixed the problem. Of course what fixed it wasn't them asking me to install it, but me actually installing it. ;-)

All is well. This player is quite nice. Very fast loading. I still need to see how regular DVDs look when uprezzed to 1080i. And I haven't tried any SACDs yet.

S

sperho

Enthusiast
I've searched unsuccessfully. I have ripped my 600 CD collection to WAV and 256kbit/sec MP3 format. The MP3s are fine for my whole house system, but I'm looking for a device/means that also does Blu-ray that can stream the WAV files to my AV rig. Can the BDP-83 be used as a transport via USB for the uncompressed WAV files?

Also, I've dumped about 60 DV tapes to hard disk for backup and would love to be able to play the AVI files through the USB port of a device attached to my AV rig. Does anyone know if AVI via USB is supported?

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I've searched unsuccessfully. I have ripped my 600 CD collection to WAV and 256kbit/sec MP3 format. The MP3s are fine for my whole house system, but I'm looking for a device/means that also does Blu-ray that can stream the WAV files to my AV rig. Can the BDP-83 be used as a transport via USB for the uncompressed WAV files?

Also, I've dumped about 60 DV tapes to hard disk for backup and would love to be able to play the AVI files through the USB port of a device attached to my AV rig. Does anyone know if AVI via USB is supported?
Did you check at AVS in the Official Oppo BDP-83 thread?
Or unless someone here knows.

S

sperho

Enthusiast
Did you check at AVS in the Official Oppo BDP-83 thread?
Or unless someone here knows.
AVS had the info. No on WAV and FLAC, yes on AVI. I'm pretty surprised by lack of WAV support even at early stages. Perhaps a future firmware release will include WAV files.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
AVS had the info. No on WAV and FLAC, yes on AVI. I'm pretty surprised by lack of WAV support even at early stages. Perhaps a future firmware release will include WAV files.
Yeah, technology is way behind still, it cannot keep up fast enough with our desires. ;)

A

atwozed@me.com

Audiophyte
Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu Ray Player

It sounds to good too be true, My question is it truly universal ? meaning
region free for both Blu Ray & DVD ????...
also where can I purchase the unit in Australia ???.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No it isn't region free. There are region free hacks available on the web though.

A

atwozed@me.com

Audiophyte
Region Free BR

Is this player going to be region free for blu ray playback ?

I believe some panasonic blu ray players support region free blu ray, can someone confirm this ?

Its a worldwide market come on Oppo ........ :rolleyes:
We have to keep up the discussion, We all need our choices on which side of the world to purchase titles..........

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis