Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player - Update

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Well, I just had an odd, but pleasing, experience . . .

Yesterday, I listened to Genesis' The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway SACD, and it was a gorgeous surround mix, incredibly detailed sound, really, really lovely. Today, I listened to the DTS 96/24 mix with the slide show presentation. The slides were really cool, as was the footage of the lads playing the show. But what struck me was the sound.

I can confirm that the Oppo 83 DOES NOT play DTS 96/24. I hit the "info" button, and it said that it was playing DTS 5.1, no mention of DTS 96/24. My receiver did say DTS 96/24. So I listened for a short while, using the digital audio cable (the receiver decoding the music), and it was very good.

Then for some reason, I decided to listen to the Oppo decode the music (using the multi-channel outputs). Of course, it would be down-rezzed to regular DTS 5.1, but I was curious to listen. And to my surprise, the music seemed a little more detailed! It was just a hair closer to the SACD sound I remember from the day before!

I can't believe it: the Oppo's DTS down-rez sounds better than my (admittedly old) receiver's DTS 96/24! That's how good the audio is on this player. I am freaking stunned. And still in love with the new player.

Now if the Oppo people can just get that problem with ST: TOS angle icon problem licked, I'll be in seventh heaven. :)

cheers,
supervij

PhillyDan1969

PhillyDan1969

Junior Audioholic
Oppo hit me up again with a early pre-order offer! With everything I am reading about the player I am considering returning the Samsung BDP-3600 for the Oppo. Don't get me wrong, so far I have loved everything about the Samsung, it works great, but I think the Oppo offers more for only $100!!!

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Where? at the Oppo website? Got a link for the article? ;)
Here is a fairly comprehensive review from AV Reviews.

I just loaded this new firmware ver yesterday:

Public Beta Test Version
Release date: June 11, 2009. This version is a public beta test version.
Category: Public Beta Release

Main Version: BDP83-27-0601
Loader Version: BE2400 85752400
Sub Version: MCU83-23-0513

I did this for no particular reason except that it is my fourth upgrade and it is so easy ... why not? Not at all like the hassle and time to update my Toshiba XA2 or the Pioneer BD30. Those were slow and quirky (as were the players;)). With the OPPO its load the file to a USB jump drive, plug it into the OPPO and in a minute or so it's done.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
I've got to ask. I'm subscribed to the Oppo thread on AVS and all I'm seeing, aside from the one off issues, are a litany of complaints of pops and ticks on SACD, analog or HDMI. I've not heard them, but I've only got 4 SACDs and about 20 DVD As (no one is complaining about DVD A). Anyone here experiencing this bug.

BTW, haven't updated the FW. Not worth the time at this point.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I've got to ask. I'm subscribed to the Oppo thread on AVS and all I'm seeing, aside from the one off issues, are a litany of complaints of pops and ticks on SACD, analog or HDMI. I've not heard them, but I've only got 4 SACDs and about 20 DVD As (no one is complaining about DVD A). Anyone here experiencing this bug.

BTW, haven't updated the FW. Not worth the time at this point.
I only have a few SACD's and DVD-A's too but I have not heard the "pop" on either format. I also haven't been monitoring that thread but it seemed like most of the issues were with the analog outs. I have yet to try those cause HDMI is working just fine:).

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Using the MC analog outs, I haven't run into the popping sound at all on any of the SACDs I've listened to. They all sound swell! :)

cheers,
supervij

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Using the MC analog outs, I haven't run into the popping sound at all on any of the SACDs I've listened to. They all sound swell! :)
When I turn off my TV while an SACD or DVD-A is playing the playback studders. I am using a switch box to the TV so I only have to run one cable and if I turn off the switch, it does not do this. It also does not do this while playing a SD DVD or CD via coaxial digital out or analog.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I've never had my TV on while an SACD was in the player, so I can't speak to that. I also haven't listened to any DVD-A since I got the player (for no reason at all really), but I expect I would turn off the TV once I've chosen the DVD-A portion of the disc from the menu.

I've certainly never had any popping or anything else when listening to a CD or watching a DVD or Blu-ray. Guess I got lucky. Sorry to those who are having this problem. Oppo does address the issue in their most recent firmware update, which I haven't done yet. Hopefully that will fix things.

cheers,
supervij

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
I put in Peter Gabriel's "Up" and DSOTM in last night(SACDs). The PG disk has a ton of dynamic range from whisper quiet to huge peaks...no issues. DSOTM...no issues. I wandered around the room from the LP to in front of the speakers, no snaps, crackles or pops. My rig is fairly resolving, I know John's is and I'm sure Rob's can detect a pop from a block away, yet many with both lower and higher end gear (via HDMI and analog) are complaining about this.

I'm curious as to how this plays out. Most that have problems expect it to be solved with firmware. I hope for their sake it's not a QC or compatibility issue. But me :D, I'm happy.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
As long as the TV is on for me, it isn't an issue; sound is perfect. Very possibly could be the fact that I am using the switch.

P

PeterWhite

Audioholic
My 83 is on the way

Looks like Oppo has released the player. I got a tracking number via email the other day. I should have it early next week. It will be nice to free up some space on the rack.

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic
I've been using a htpc for playing all our ripped cd's but was wondering how the interface is for the Oppo? I've noticed my wife doesn't really care for using the computer so was wondering if it might be better.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've been using a htpc for playing all our ripped cd's but was wondering how the interface is for the Oppo? I've noticed my wife doesn't really care for using the computer so was wondering if it might be better.
It is a pretty simple browser interface; not exactly friendly. The PS3 has a nice interface but you need to create playlists for everything.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Oppo analog setup anomaly for subwoofer output

For those of you using analogs for lossless audio 5.1/7.1 you might not be aware there is a sub level power reset problem in the Oppo.

Basically, if you have the speaker config menu setup so you are raising (or reducing) the sub level in the Oppo menu to X.db, when you recycle power to the Oppo the sub level will reset to 0 db.

Even though it still reads the same value you put in when you check the menu again when powering up.

Oppo is aware of it, and is fixing it. Not sure it was handled on this latest firmware update.
The temporary fix, is going back into the setup menu after each power up, resetting the sub level back down to zero, then back to the level you chose before.

Hope this helps some of you..if I hear any progress, will relay it.

PhillyDan1969

PhillyDan1969

Junior Audioholic
I found this link to region hack the oppo yesterday through a couple different sites, has anyone on these board tried this and confirmed that it works???

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
I've read about it on avforums as well as avsforum...seems like they work but there is some caution it is better to wait for the upcoming firmware updates for the Oppo. I think the code-free instructions state the hack may have to be reinstalled with subsequent Oppo updates. I would probably wait a while..the Beta version should be mature by then too.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Played around with the dedicated 2 channel analog outs this weekend. I use a 2 channel pre, so Oppo to Luxman TP-114 to Carver TFM45 to speakers. I've read that the 2 channel DAC have a higher output voltage than the MCH DAC/outs. I don't quite understand what that should effect, but I did notice at moderate volume that there's quite a bit more noticable bass (not necessarily volume). At 9:30 on the gain, my drivers and PRs were dancing. I doubt that the volume was more than low 90dbs, maybe not even that. To get that kind of activity with the Oppo 980, I'd be around 11-11:30 and playing in the low 100s. Also, though the 2channel DAC is supposedly the superior choice, I'm not sure if I don't prefer listening to 2channel through the MCH outs...it sounds more balanced. I'll continue to compare, both sound great, it's just that I was surprised and somewhat overwhelmed by the impact of the 2 channel performance. That's usually not a bad thing and I can trim some bass out of the signal with my pre, but the way I had it setup this weekend, I felt their was some masking of the midrange. I'll report back after sampling some different material.

Anyone else do a comparison?

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Played around with the dedicated 2 channel analog outs this weekend. I use a 2 channel pre, so Oppo to Luxman TP-114 to Carver TFM45 to speakers. I've read that the 2 channel DAC have a higher output voltage than the MCH DAC/outs. I don't quite understand what that should effect, but I did notice at moderate volume that there's quite a bit more noticable bass (not necessarily volume). At 9:30 on the gain, my drivers and PRs were dancing. I doubt that the volume was more than low 90dbs, maybe not even that. To get that kind of activity with the Oppo 980, I'd be around 11-11:30 and playing in the low 100s. Also, though the 2channel DAC is supposedly the superior choice, I'm not sure if I don't prefer listening to 2channel through the MCH outs...it sounds more balanced. I'll continue to compare, both sound great, it's just that I was surprised and somewhat overwhelmed by the impact of the 2 channel performance. That's usually not a bad thing and I can trim some bass out of the signal with my pre, but the way I had it setup this weekend, I felt their was some masking of the midrange. I'll report back after sampling some different material.

Anyone else do a comparison?
Definitely looking forward to updates.

DJ

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis