M

mloew1

Audioholic Intern
Well I think my Onkyo TX-SR806 is going to hell, only one HDMI outputs will work, and it takes 1/2 hour for that one to work, the amp has to heat up first, my fix for now is to leave the amp on all the time and it will work, I have read there were problems with these amps, I have tried new cables, no help. Have any of you opened one of these up yet, and tried to fix it your self? Thanks Mike

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well I think my Onkyo TX-SR806 is going to hell, only one HDMI outputs will work, and it takes 1/2 hour for that one to work, the amp has to heat up first, my fix for now is to leave the amp on all the time and it will work, I have read there were problems with these amps, I have tried new cables, no help. Have any of you opened one of these up yet, and tried to fix it your self? Thanks Mike
Sorry to hear this Mike. Yours is not the first post about this by a long shot.
So I looked into it, and started this thread.

The AVS link is also posted in that thread.

I think you will need some experience to do the work recommended. But you really have nothing to loose. If you do forge ahead you will probably learn a lot, enough perhaps to justify the original purchase price of the receiver!

Seriously though, this is a disgrace, and members are still recommending Onkyo receivers. I won't. As far as I'm concerned they are firmly in the avoid at all cost list. They may be the cheapest, but this issue makes them a very expensive receiver.

M

mloew1

Audioholic Intern
Thank you very much guys. The repairs are probably a bit over my head.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Onkyo receivers have the most features available for the money, but the extraordinary heat output makes me nervous. Also their bad reputation for tech support. My TX-SR707 hasn't had any problems yet, but I am dreading the day that it inevitably does, because after reading much more about them, I kinda wish I had went with something else. I think Onkyo receivers do give you the most bang for your buck in terms of features and performance (by a slim margin), but the corners they cut to give you that price make them less of a bargain than it they first appear to be. I think my next receiver might be a Yamaha or Denon, but to help determine the choice I will do a bit more research into post-purchase support next time.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Onkyo receivers have the most features available for the money, but the extraordinary heat output makes me nervous. Also their bad reputation for tech support. My TX-SR707 hasn't had any problems yet, but I am dreading the day that it inevitably does, because after reading much more about them, I kinda wish I had went with something else. I think Onkyo receivers do give you the most bang for your buck in terms of features and performance (by a slim margin), but the corners they cut to give you that price make them less of a bargain than it they first appear to be. I think my next receiver might be a Yamaha or Denon, but to help determine the choice I will do a bit more research into post-purchase support next time.
I have a 707 and no problems yet either. I try to baby it though. Before I turn it off I turn down the volume all the way down. It's kept open air(On top of rack with no roof on top:D) too. I also turn off both TV and Receiver if I'm unplugging anything. Fingers crossed. I only use it for movies with alot of sound effects and CD music. Normal movies and TV I use: Amazon.com: Altec Lansing VS2321 2.1 Powered Audio System: Electronics and it sound good despite those reviews. I think the tech support is good on the Onkyo. I bet Sholling baby cares his stuff too.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thank you very much guys. The repairs are probably a bit over my head.
I guess you can replace the whole board instead of the soldering. Look on ebay for the board.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I guess you can replace the whole board instead of the soldering. Look on ebay for the board.
The problem is the next board is likely to blow up. You really have to do the mod on the AVS forum, new board or old.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I have a 707 and no problems yet either. I try to baby it though. Before I turn it off I turn down the volume all the way down. It's kept open air(On top of rack with no roof on top:D) too. I also turn off both TV and Receiver if I'm unplugging anything. Fingers crossed. I only use it for movies with alot of sound effects and CD music. Normal movies and TV I use: Amazon.com: Altec Lansing VS2321 2.1 Powered Audio System: Electronics and it sound good despite those reviews. I think the tech support is good on the Onkyo. I bet Sholling baby cares his stuff too.
I just give them plenty of air flow and the new models have fans to keep them cool. But we don't have high humidity and I'm only at 1500ft and that probably helps. I drove the crap out of the 906 with the Salks (4ohms) before adding external amps a year later. I drove the 707 really hard as well when it as in the bedroom feeding the Sierra-1s but not the 12-18 hours a day that the 906 ran. The 707 did get the support of a cabinet fan when it lived in a fully enclosed cabinet.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I just give them plenty of air flow and the new models have fans to keep them cool. But we don't have high humidity and I'm only at 1500ft and that probably helps. I drove the crap out of the 906 with the Salks (4ohms) before adding external amps a year later. I drove the 707 really hard as well when it as in the bedroom feeding the Sierra-1s but not the 12-18 hours a day that the 906 ran. The 707 did get the support of a cabinet fan when it lived in a fully enclosed cabinet.
What kind of fan do you use for it? I might need one for the summer.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
What kind of fan do you use for it? I might need one for the summer.
For my bedroom system absolute silence is a must so I cut a hole in the back of the cabinet and mounted a super quiet 11db 30CFM fan like this one and connected it to a cheap Coolguys fan controller and power supply similar to this one. The fan is mounted just above and behind the receiver and I have one of these vibration absorbers between fan and cabinet just to assure silence. I wanted to stick with a low voltage fan to avoid the fire hazard of a 120v fan freezing up with no one home. The only downside to this setup is the fixed 87 degrees on 80 degrees off setting of the cheap controller but they do offer programmable controllers for $35 + $15 for the power supply, and they have complete kits and deluxe two fan kits and lots more. I have never heard this fan come on but it seems to do the job.

It's funny I actually considered a really thin notebook cooler but went with a cabinet fan instead.

This is a very old photo of my bedroom cabinet and TX-NR707. There
is a 4" hole under the receiver to allow cool air to rise up through it. FWIW
the new configuration is the 906 on the bottom shelf due to its size and
the other gear (plus an SMS-1) now lives behind the glass doors.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thank you guys. Stupid question so I guess I put the Laptop fan on top or in back of receiver? I'm thinking back. Sholling I see you have a APC conditioner. I'm looking for a used one. Sorry for high jacking this thread.:(

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you guys. Stupid question so I guess I put the Laptop fan on top or in back of receiver? I'm thinking back. Sholling I see you have a APC conditioner. I'm looking for a used one. Sorry for high jacking this thread.:(
Hope this helps a bit:
Since heat naturally rises, it best to help maintain that flow by pulling heat up and out.
Try the laptop fan directly below or above the receiver, with airflow going up.

M

mloew1

Audioholic Intern
I also have my equipment built in, How ever I do have a pretty good exhaust fan mounted behind my equipment that exhausts out into the garage, I rarely close the glass door, so there is good air movement across, I guess just not enough for Onyko:confused:

Attachments

Last edited:
M

mloew1

Audioholic Intern
Update. Fixed my Onkyo TX-SR806

Thought I would post an update, this weekend I pulled my receiver apart. Using this guys info How to fix an Onkyo receiver - TX-SR606 - By Ed - YouTube. Even though my receiver is different. I had nothing to lose. I pulled the HDMI board out and there are 13 100uf 4volt capacitors on both sides of the board, I went to Radio Shack and bought all the 100uf caps they had, a mixture of radial and axial caps, all of them were 100uf but the voltages were 35 and 50 volts, I believe the voltage does not matter on a cap as long as the cap is rated for more volts than the board is supplying. I replaced all 13 caps and my receiver is now working perfectly:cool: It really was very easy and took me a few hours. Hope this helps others, Thanks again for the help guys. Mike

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I also have my equipment built in, How ever I do have a pretty good exhaust fan mounted behind my equipment that exhausts out into the garage, I rarely close the glass door, so there is good air movement across, I guess just not enough for Onyko:confused:
The problem with your setup is you didn't have 4" of space above onkyo avr - this is one of the recommendations I heard
Since air does move up, but it's blocked so it doesn't ventilate properly - thus overheating.

Now - I agree It should have not been designed this way originally and Onkyo should have been more informative of these placing limitations due to above normal high temperature of unit operations a special precaution would be needed to insure long life span

p.s: I did several cap fixes myself and was able repair old, but still good, pro lcd monitor and pro-HP workstation.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thought I would post an update, this weekend I pulled my receiver apart. Using this guys info How to fix an Onkyo receiver - TX-SR606 - By Ed - YouTube. Even though my receiver is different. I had nothing to lose. I pulled the HDMI board out and there are 13 100uf 4volt capacitors on both sides of the board, I went to Radio Shack and bought all the 100uf caps they had, a mixture of radial and axial caps, all of them were 100uf but the voltages were 35 and 50 volts, I believe the voltage does not matter on a cap as long as the cap is rated for more volts than the board is supplying. I replaced all 13 caps and my receiver is now working perfectly:cool: It really was very easy and took me a few hours. Hope this helps others, Thanks again for the help guys. Mike
Well done! Very nice work.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis