Official Denon AVR-5805 Review Support Thread

R

RacerChris

Enthusiast
gene said:
Racer;

Did you connect your source to the zone2 via analog or digital? Check your OSD and make sure you properly assigned the input type.

I should have my 5805 up and running again in early April and along with a series of followup tests and articles for Audyssey, and upgrades to the 5805.
Gene,

Hey, thanks for the reply. I appreciate your desire to help. :)

I have an Audio Amp hooked up to the Zone 2 Analog connections. I have many sources, some analog-only (REPLAY TV), some digital-only (DVD) and some with both analog & digital (HTPC). I do not believe there is a way to tell the 5805 that Zone 2 has Analog only connections, except to just connect it to the Zone 2 analog preouts.

When I first turn on Zone 2 and set it to HTPC input, then Page 1 of the Zone 2 OSD has the following settings:

MODE - Stereo
SIGNAL - PCM
fs 48 khz

These settings result in NO sound from the HTPC in Zone 2. One way I have found that corrects the problem EVERY time is to switch Zone 2 to the DVD source, then switch back to the HTPC. Once it works, then the OSD Settings are identical to when it doesn't work. Note that this solution only works if there is a DVD in the DVD Player.

Sounds like you don't have a 5805 to help me debug this problem. Hopefully, someone else that visits this forum does. I thought of calling Denon, but they are so big that I figure it may be difficult, if not impossible, to locate someone that actually knows something about this rather indepth issue. Perhaps there is someone at Denon that you can refer me too?

Thanks again for a great in-depth review of this wonderful unit. Although I am impressive, the sole reason I bought this beast is to use the MultiZone HDTV feature. :confused:

R

RacerChris

Enthusiast
thescrub said:
RacerChris,
Which of the zone 2 outs are you using?
Hey thanks for the reply...

Hmm, is there more than one? I'm not at home right now, but I believe it is the Zone 2 PREOUTS... Is there more than one option for analog output for Zone 2?

T

thescrub

Enthusiast
yep, if you got zone 2 set to stereo in setup menu 7-1 then you should use the zone 2 pre-out that is more to the middle of the receiver not the ones that are for a zone 2 5.1 system. It's right above coaxial audio #6. check page 154 of the manual.

R

RacerChris

Enthusiast
thescrub said:
yep, if you got zone 2 set to stereo in setup menu 7-1 then you should use the zone 2 pre-out that is more to the middle of the receiver not the ones that are for a zone 2 5.1 system. It's right above coaxial audio #6. check page 154 of the manual.

Hey, thanks a bunch for the reply! I appreciate any help/advice you and others may suggest.

Yup, I have Zone 2 set to stereo and it hooked up to the Zone 2 Preouts directly above coaxial audio #6....

Perhaps my unit is defective...it is one of the first w/ S/N 00014! Anyone heard of defective or older units requiring an update?

T

thescrub

Enthusiast
There is an update for your serial number but all it does is fix some low frequency issues with the Audyssey stuff.

R

RacerChris

Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I found it at the Denon Website, installed it, but it made no difference in with my problem...

Another hint - "sometimes" the Zone 2 OSD reports the Signal as UNKNOWN and the fs as UNLOCKED.

J

johnuustal

Enthusiast
L/r/lfe

Gene,

Just asking -- any idea when your update review will come out on the 5805 looking at the l/r/lfe option?

keep up the good work.

T

thescrub

Enthusiast
The manuals for the upgrades are posted in the owners section of the Denon site. Are the upgrades soon to follow? Anyone heard anything lately?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene,

Just asking -- any idea when your update review will come out on the 5805 looking at the l/r/lfe option?

keep up the good work.
I have the new Audyssey firmware but my reference speakers are still being built. Thus the delay is all on me at this point and NOT Denon. I am hoping RBH will have my new speakers built by next month so I can continue forward with this testing. If it takes much longer than that, I will pull some speakers and subs from another room, but I really want to do this testing of the very best gear I can get my hands on.

Jase

Jase

Junior Audioholic
gene said:
I have the new Audyssey firmware...
Gene

Is that firmware different to the last firmware that corrected the problem with EQ below 100hz?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Is that firmware different to the last firmware that corrected the problem with EQ below 100hz?
Yes I believe they made an additional tweak since the first firmware fix for the bass. Let me know the rev# you have and I will compare it to mine.

Jase

Jase

Junior Audioholic
Here's what comes up when I check the firmware (I have the A1XV).

Model AVC-2
Main Ver 01.32
Sub Ver 01.07
DSP1 15.19
DSP2 16.12
DSP3 17.26
Zone Ver 01.12
Z DSP Ver 00.00
Video Ver 00.84

J

johnuustal

Enthusiast
TrueHD and DTS-HD

Gene, last May (in a discussion about when we'd see True HD or DTS-HD support in Denon recievers) you said:

"I believe we are at least 2 years away from full fledged hardware and software solutions for DD++/DTS+."

Now that a year has gone by, is your estimate still the same, about May 2007? or are we further along than you thought? Please don't tell me we're further behind.

Thanks

P

pmiranda

Audiophyte
bi-amp w/ active EQ?

I already suspect the answer is not what I want, but my question is: Can this receiver drive the woofer and tweeter on the fronts separately without having passive low/high pass filters in the speaker?

[Adding some background: I have some old-school JBL speakers my father built with 15" woofers and a horn mid/high driver with a passive crossover in the back. It's easy to bypass the crossover and drive each component separately, but I don't think I can use the low-pass and high-pass sections independently as you can with modern "biampable" speakers.]

Maybe I can set the low-pass to the front high enough to only drive the tweeters but can you use any of the power amp channels for "subs", or are the subs only pre-outs?

I see a 4806 in my future, unless I can find something that says Yamaha's room correction is as good as the MultEQ in the Denons...

T

thescrub

Enthusiast
I've seen on another forum that the upgrade is now availible for the 5805. I don't suppose that anyone here can confirm that it is.

T

thescrub

Enthusiast
Well I've answered my own question. After a long week of bugging customer service at D&M I have received my SRA for the upgrade from Denon. I hope to get my receiver sent off next week. Shipping it back is going to be expensive. From Reno FedEx is the cheaper of the two.

B

briansmith

Junior Audioholic
Clint DeBoer said:
Yes, that receiver isn't exactly a lightweight!
Has anyone heard from Denon if the original 5805 is upgradable to HDMI 1.3, when available?

jussi

Audiophyte
Does anyone know what the latest firmware for the AVC-A1XV is?
Or where I can find info about them too keep myself uppdated

Current frimware:

Model AVC-2
Main Ver 01.34
Sub Ver 01.07
DSP1 15.28
DSP2 16.12
DSP3 17.26
Zone Ver 01.12
Z DSP Ver 00.00
Video Ver 00.84

//Jussi