New Oppo BDP S83 Blu-Ray player!!!

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
That's still a lot of money.
The possibility of DVD-A sweetens things somewhat. But considering the existence of quality $200 players these days; $500 to $600 is tough to swallow. It certainly won't be as widely accepted as Oppo's SD DVD players have been. At that price it will be a niche market unit. I expected Oppo to be a bit more competitive with the pricing.

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
That's still a lot of money.
The possibility of DVD-A sweetens things somewhat. But considering the existence of quality $200 players these days; $500 to $600 is tough to swallow. It certainly won't be as widely accepted as Oppo's SD DVD players have been. At that price it will be a niche market unit. I expected Oppo to be a bit more competitive with the pricing.
I'm curious how the price will drop with time. For now, I don't see why somone wouldn't use a PS3 (or other BD player) with a DV980H.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I don't see why somone wouldn't use a PS3 (or other BD player) with a DV980H.
That's pretty much my reasoning. I can see if some one was cramped for space and absolutely need an all in one player.... But I'm not, so that's my viewpoint on the matter.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Just read the email. I'm not waiting for this anymore.

SheepStar

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
499-599 is higher than I wanted as well. If it loads as fast as the PS3 or the new LG and is true universal player then I will pick one up later in the year. I have a older Samsung player that I would put in the living room and still use my 980H in the other zones of my house.

I wonder if you can control the HDMI video output scale to match the format. I would still want my processor to scale standard DVD's so I'd want 480i from that but would want 1080p output on Blu-Ray.

mperfct

mperfct

Audioholic Samurai
499-599 is higher than I wanted as well. If it loads as fast as the PS3 or the new LG and is true universal player then I will pick one up later in the year. I have a older Samsung player that I would put in the living room and still use my 980H in the other zones of my house.

I wonder if you can control the HDMI video output scale to match the format. I would still want my processor to scale standard DVD's so I'd want 480i from that but would want 1080p output on Blu-Ray.
Wouldn't the Oppo be as good or better than your processor at upscaling DVD's? I'm not knocking your vp, but isn't the Oppo supposed to be as good as the best blu-ray players at upscaling?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Wouldn't the Oppo be as good or better than your processor at upscaling DVD's? I'm not knocking your vp, but isn't the Oppo supposed to be as good as the best blu-ray players at upscaling?
From the unscientific my eyes only tests I have done, my best results have been outputting 480i from the 980H to my prepro which has a REON chip and having it scale to 1080p. I also have much better results than using my blu-ray to do any scaling so I only play Blu-rays with it. When I get a projector I will probably go to passthrough because it will have the best scaler but at this time the REON does the best job for me.

I have never has the Anchor bay video processing in any of my gear so you may be correct and it may offer the best solution.

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
Current features known:

* PS3 caliber load speeds for BD-Java enabled discs.
* SACD DSD over HDMI and multi-channel analog. SACD DSD to PCM conversion available over HDMI.
* Bit stream support for Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master to HDMI 1.3 or higher receivers. Optical and digital coaxial do not have the bandwidth required for these new high resolution audio formats, but they can still pass Dolby Digital and DTS CORE.
* 7.1 multi-channel and dedicated Stereo analog outputs
* 24Hz for Blu-ray and DVD-Video
* Source Direct. This allows the player to intelligently and automatically change the resolution of the player based off of the content source. For example, SD DVD will playback at 480i, Blu-ray will play back at 1080p/24Hz, and DVD-Audio and SACD will playback at 1080i (to ensure maximum audio bandwidth is available).
* BD Live 1.1 with BONUSVIEW
* ABT 2010 de-interlacing and upscaling up to 1080p/60Hz with HDMI. Component is 1080i only (Blu-ray) with no ABT processing.
* Video Demo Mode: splits the screen vertically with one half showing the original source image, while the other half shows the results of adjustment to the Edge Enhancement, Detail Enhancement and Noise Reduction controls.
* Resolution and other Picture adjustments can be performed on the fly.
* 30 and 36bit Deep Color support
* DVD-Video playback
* DVD+R/RW/DL and DVD-R/DL disc support
* CD-R/RW disc support
* CD-Audio and HDCD playback
* AVCHD over DVD and USB
* MP3 with ID3 Tag and Album Art
* 1920x1080 native MPEG-2 and DivX support.
* PNG and JPEG Viewing at up to a native 1920x1080 pixels
* Anamorphic lens compatible with constant height Zoom. Other Zoom modes identical to DV-983H.
* DVD Region 1 locked
* Blu-ray Region A locked

W

westcott

Audioholic General
That's pretty much my reasoning. I can see if some one was cramped for space and absolutely need an all in one player.... But I'm not, so that's my viewpoint on the matter.
The reason would be to have the best video processing available in one package for DVDs and BR. The Anchor Bay video processor is right up there with the Realta and Reon.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
I'm curious how the price will drop with time. For now, I don't see why somone wouldn't use a PS3 (or other BD player) with a DV980H.
Probably because not everyone has both players and rather have the benefits integrated in one.

Price drop? Oppo has never dropped prices on hardware still in production.

That's why it is not the player for everyone. You can wait, and know with a Sony, Samsung or Panasonic prices will drop in a few months......before they prepare to release another model.

If you don't need more than just a good BD player, an Oppo is not cost-effective.
Only for those who appreciate the build quality, SACD/DVD capability, multi-channel analog outputs, and leading edge upconversion of std. DVDs, as well as great customer service is it of the greatest value.

S

Stump

Enthusiast
Oppo Blu-Ray Player BDP83

Oppo Blu-Ray Player BDP83
You guys are talking of the price being too high????
I only heard of OPPO this week while searching for a CD/SACD player.In Australia these machines go for $1075. I will order one today with mods for just under $2000. This is still good value compared to other players.Eamonn
http://www.customanalogue.com/jlti_multiplayer.htm

jcilforever

jcilforever

Audioholic
I stopped complaining

I stopped complaining about price bought it and will never look back. The quality is excellent and they are always improving it. The only time the big boys improve is when they build the next model. This player is hands down the best I have had and does everything.

I also complained about price, but the service and quality of the product and forward planning that went into this is amazing! I won't have to worry about it being replaced anytime soon:)

fastwahoo

fastwahoo

Enthusiast
Discrete stereo outputs

This is one of the main reasons i got this player. In order to utilize this feature what do i need to do. Thanks Barry

We did not stop at just video performance. We further refined the audio stage, including the addition of discrete stereo outputs and increasing the power and efficiency of the power supply. For SACD playback, the BDP-83 supports direct DSD over HDMI and DSD-to-analog without any PCM conversion, a very unique feature.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis