New Oppo BDP S83 Blu-Ray player!!!

PhillyDan1969

PhillyDan1969

Junior Audioholic
That is too bad that Oppo won't have this available by Christmas. I have been holding out for as long as I could in hopes that I would find a perfect stand-alone player by the holiday season, but now it looks like I will be buying a PS3 this Christmas season. I already asked for all my movies to be Blu-Ray this Christmas season, so waiting will not be an option. I will most likely pick up a player by Black Friday!!!

itschris

itschris

At this stage of the game anyway, I see no reason for anyone to wait. Both the Sony and Panny are expected to be had for under $200 and the 555 and 55 will drop a bunch too. I love OPPO, but I can't imagine their playing being significantly better than either of those players to warrant waiting... that is if you really do want one now.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
That's one of the reasons I'm waiting too. I have a couple dozen SACDs and would like to continue to listen to them.

Furthermore, my non-HDMI receiver has only one set of multi-channel analog audio inputs, and that causes a problem. The scenario wherein the BD player handles the new audio codecs through m/c analog and my current DVD player handles SACD and DVD-A through m/c analog simply isn't possible due to the one set of m/c analog on my receiver.

Unless I find a m/c analog audio switcher on the cheap, of course.

If Oppo were to build their player with SACD and DVD-A, that would be a godsend. (DivX would be nice too, of course.)

cheers,
supervij

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I'm in no hurry, so i'll wait at least till the Oppo comes out.
But over $500 is too much, even if it does do SACD.
I have no problem hanging on to my Yamaha player for SACD and DVD-A.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
You know what? I was one of the one's demanding dvda and sacd from a bluray player, but then I looked at the neat little row of them (maybe two dozen total) on top of my rack and it dawned on me that I rarely, if ever listen to them. And since buying a Sammy Blu Ray that streams Pandora Radio, and having a dedicated music server.....I don't have much of a need for hirez audio anymore..............

A

allargon

Audioholic General
You know what? I was one of the one's demanding dvda and sacd from a bluray player, but then I looked at the neat little row of them (maybe two dozen total) on top of my rack and it dawned on me that I rarely, if ever listen to them. And since buying a Sammy Blu Ray that streams Pandora Radio, and having a dedicated music server.....I don't have much of a need for hirez audio anymore..............
My attitude is if I'm paying $500 or more for a player then it needs to do more than just play Blu-Ray and do a really good job of upconverting. I would prefer they throw in HD DVD support, too, but I'm not that naive.

I want DVD-A support, too. A 20GB PS3 will play SACD's.

PhillyDan1969

PhillyDan1969

Junior Audioholic
Hell I am all for them lowering the price and ditching both SACD and DVD-A, I also rarely listen to them anyway!!!

What I want is for someone to release a high quality Blu-Ray player that can compete with the PS3 in both terms of Quality and Value!!! (Oh and I need at least 5.1 Multichannel Analog outputs...please). I am just not in the market to upgrade my Denon 3805 anytime soon!!!

L

lost33

Enthusiast
I appreciate well made stuff, my 20+ year old Denon DCD3300 that sold for $1700 in 1987, that still works and is still merciless in standard CD reproduction was worth it to me back then...it did only one thing and it did it very well and still does.

The new OPPO i am sure will be very well built, maybe not as well as the really high end Denon...or Pioneer but well none-the-less and it will perform very well with ALL its formats..

BUT

Many of us will not pay the premium for ALL these formats..

Many of us will buy the less expensive 35/55 etc....and dont care about the SACD or DVD-A.

I have a small SACD library of maybe 10 or so...is this enough to convince me to pay the premium...for me the answer is NO.

The only thing that I would prefer is the ABT 2010 for SD's which I and many of us have hundreds of and they will be around for awhile.

Choices, choices, choices....aint technology grand!!

lost 33...

Now leaning towards the panny 35

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Hell I am all for them lowering the price and ditching both SACD and DVD-A, I also rarely listen to them anyway!!!

What I want is for someone to release a high quality Blu-Ray player that can compete with the PS3 in both terms of Quality and Value!!! (Oh and I need at least 5.1 Multichannel Analog outputs...please). I am just not in the market to upgrade my Denon 3805 anytime soon!!!
Well I thought that I'd be all set using the BD55 via analog to my 3805, however the analog from the player bypasses all your receivers prior setting. Now don't get me wrong the DTS HDMA sounds amazing through analog but I'm pretty sure that if it allowed me to dial in and calibrate everything I'd be more content.
Just my 2 cents:)

BTW, anybody looking for a Denon 3805:eek::D

Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
If you really want to consolidate all the formats into one player, AND are looking for a fair price, I think this new oppo player will be the only way to go. There just aren't any other options.

But, if you don't mind having two players, then you could just as easily get the 980H for DVD, SACD, etc... and cheaper Bluray player that performs just as well, but might not have all the bells and whistles... which you just got with your 980 anyway :) The 980 is fantastic, and isn't expensive.

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
If you really want to consolidate all the formats into one player, AND are looking for a fair price, I think this new oppo player will be the only way to go. There just aren't any other options.

But, if you don't mind having two players, then you could just as easily get the 980H for DVD, SACD, etc... and cheaper Bluray player that performs just as well, but might not have all the bells and whistles... which you just got with your 980 anyway :) The 980 is fantastic, and isn't expensive.
Good advice. I had a 980 and a PS3 and was very happy.

L

lost33

Enthusiast
Does anyone know of a comparision of the ANCHOR Bay 2010 that will be in the OPPO for SD upconvert and the Realta HQV chip thats in some of the hign end BD players???

Thanks
lost33

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
North of 500? Damnit. That's too much for just a good Blu Ray and upconverting player. No SACD/DVD-A here.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

There are options, but they aren't going to be cheaper. Denon is supposed to release some players with SACD/DVD-A and BD in the next round I heard. I will have to see the exact street price, because if it is more than $500, I probably won't go for it considering the current price of the S550 and BD55.

Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
There are options, but they aren't going to be cheaper.
Yeah, that's exactly what I said. MY point is, if you dont mind having two players, using the 980 oppo for upscaling DVDs, CDs, and SACDs, as well as something like the panasonic BD35, you will get away with being able to play anything you want, for $400.

mperfct

mperfct

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, that's exactly what I said. MY point is, if you dont mind having two players, using the 980 oppo for upscaling DVDs, CDs, and SACDs, as well as something like the panasonic BD35, you will get away with being able to play anything you want, for $400.
From what I've read, the BD35 should be a better upscaler than the 980. I've heard it is even better than the 981, but down the food chain from the 983. I'll try and find a reference for this statement...

BD35 + 983 might be a way to go. I'm considering that based upon where this BDP-83 prices out. If it's $650+, then my mind will be made up.

!!--correction--!! it isn't. See link below

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Panasonic_DMP-BD55_DMP-BD55K_Blu-ray_Player.shtml

Last edited:
Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
I called oppo directly last week to discuss which of their 3 dvd players would be best for me, in regards to upscaling DVDs. I told them I watch normal run-of-the-mill US DVDs, play normal CDs, and some SACDs. He said the 980 was the best bet for me and would perform just as well as their 983 in upscaling with that type of content.

SilverMK3

SilverMK3

Audioholic
wow, can't believe I'm the first to post this! :)

This just came in my email about 20 minutes ago:
Oppo said:
OPPO BDP-83 Blu-Ray Disc Player Update

Dear Dave ,

Thank you for signing up to receive information about our upcoming OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player. We appreciate your interest, and would like to update you on the current development status of this exciting new product.

One of the major design goals for the BDP-83 is to deliver first-class video quality for both Blu-ray and DVD. We based and expanded upon our top-of-the-line DV-983H up-converting DVD player and fully utilize the unparalleled performance of the VRS by Anchor Bay video processing solution. You can expect all the high-end video features including Source Direct for DVD and Blu-ray, high definition HDMI scaling, Edge and Detail Enhancement options, and 1080p24Hz output for both Blu-ray and DVD.

We did not stop at just video performance. We further refined the audio stage, including the addition of discrete stereo outputs and increasing the power and efficiency of the power supply. For SACD playback, the BDP-83 supports direct DSD over HDMI and DSD-to-analog without any PCM conversion, a very unique feature.

With the BDP-83, we intend to release a full-featured universal Blu-ray Disc player that supports BD Profile 2.0 (BD-Live), DVD, SACD, DVD-Audio, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master Audio. As of this writing, the BDP-83 supports BD Profile 1.1 (BONUSVIEW), DVD-Video, SACD, and bitstreaming of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Progress is being made on a daily basis as our engineers work diligently around the clock to further enable DVD-Audio, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio onboard decoding, and BD Profile 2.0.

The BDP-83 is currently undergoing an extensive and thorough Beta Test Program. We greatly appreciate all the feedback from our beta testers, as without their hard work and extraordinary attention to detail, the BDP-83 would not be the high quality product that our customers have come to expect from us.

As many of our customers eagerly anticipate the release of the BDP83, we are contemplating a "BDP-83 Early Adoption Program" in late December or early January. This program will make available a limited number of units so you can purchase and experience the current implementation of the BDP-83's feature set, with the ability to download firmware as new features become available. The estimated price for the BDP-83 is around $499 to $599.

OPPO Digital is a consumer-oriented company that listens carefully to customer opinions and values their feedback. If it were not for our customers' feedback and support, OPPO would not be where we are today. At OPPO we strive to provide our customers with quality products reinforced by exceptional customer service.

Please email to BDP-83@oppodigital.com if you have any questions and comments, or simply reply to this email.
Best Regards,

Customer Service

OPPO Digital, Inc.
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
2629 Terminal Blvd., Suite B
Mountain View CA 94043 USA
Looks like I'll be selling my PS3 & Oppo DV-981HD sooner rather than later! :D

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
wow, can't believe I'm the first to post this! :)

This just came in my email about 20 minutes ago:

Looks like I'll be selling my PS3 & Oppo DV-981HD sooner rather than later! :D
Thanks for that info.

My guess was $549!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis