New Oppo BDP S83 Blu-Ray player!!!

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
You will be able to use either the HDMI or the Analog outs if it has SACD.

L

lost33

Enthusiast
So this means I only have to have one HDMI cable from the player to the Receiver and it will carry the SACD material out to the speakers as it was designed...guess I can sell some of those cables I had to use with my old SONY SACD/CD player then...

So now I ask with the 22 gauge HDMI cable wire..how does this affect the sound quality? With all the folks that have to have silver Litz cables as interconnect here we have an small guage HDMI cable doing it all??

My word

Lost 33

S

swestbom

Audioholic Intern
So this means I only have to have one HDMI cable from the player to the Receiver and it will carry the SACD material out to the speakers as it was designed...guess I can sell some of those cables I had to use with my old SONY SACD/CD player then...

So now I ask with the 22 gauge HDMI cable wire..how does this affect the sound quality? With all the folks that have to have silver Litz cables as interconnect here we have an small guage HDMI cable doing it all??

My word

Lost 33
Expensive HDMI cables for short runs are a complete waste, not to mention pure BS, you can also get relatively inexpensive cables for longer runs. This magazine did a test of a few brands and performance was not correlated with price. These are digital cables if they do not degrade the signal to the point where information is lost there is no problem. Expensive heavy cables are actually a problem because they tend not to seat well in the connectors and then come loose.

Of course don't forget the pyramids and the demagnetizers for the cables :rolleyes:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... With all the folks that have to have silver Litz cables as interconnect here we have an small guage HDMI cable doing it all??

My word

Lost 33

Well, as they say, the Barnum Effect is a reality for those folks who go for the silver interconnects:D

S

SHOC

Audiophyte
Read through all the pages...woooo

Definitely interested in this...:D

Thanks,
SHOC

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

You are comparing a digital signal to an analog signal, so not the same thing.

With HDMI cables, I have tried some costly ones and some inexpensive ones and found no difference with short runs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw that, too. I made an inquiry when I put in my e-mail to be notified of it's release. The image might still be of the prototype [fingers crossed].
I just talked to Oppo for the heck of it. The tech rep said the player will hopefully be released in 2 months. But he said they have not even worked on DVD-A in the player yet. However, he said it is possible that they may end up incorporating DVD-A.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Two months? Hopefully?

That's not going to satisfy my Christmas timeframe. :( Gotta look into something else.

itschris

itschris

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, Chris. I'll wait until I get a new display before I jump in, but I expect that to happen before Christmas. I'd almost surely go with a Panasonic player, just based on my experience with the two brands. I certainly appreciate the nudge and the link, though!

L

lost33

Enthusiast
I called OPPO and it will do DSD over HDMI....but I was wondering if it does a DCD to PCM conversion?

lost 33

(anyone want to buy some Litz cables!! :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I just talked to Oppo for the heck of it. The tech rep said the player will hopefully be released in 2 months. But he said they have not even worked on DVD-A in the player yet. However, he said it is possible that they may end up incorporating DVD-A.
Any hint of a price?
Too late for me though:eek:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Dear Santa,

Please let the Oppo be as good as the Panasonic DMP BD55 and let it handle DVD-A and SACD and let it be cheaper.

I been good all year long,
Alex

PS: My monkey still believes. :)

L

lost33

Enthusiast
I talked to OPPO today and the 2 month timeframe was mentioned. It does do SACD now, not DVD Audio, but it could based on firmware in the future, may not be on announce date.

On pricing, the discussion went, well its designed to compete with the $2000 Denon and the $1000 Pioneer. So it will be priced to be bargain compared to them..so its most likely will be north of $500 for sure....oh my.

It is meant to be 'better' than the bd 35/55 and sony 350/500 according to them again targeting the more high end Denon and Pioneer players.

OPPO was very nice on the phone and as straight forward without spilling all the beans....

If you want their product you will just have to wait and yes this means them not making the X-Mas market place....

Lost33

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis