W

westcott

Audioholic General
Although your crossover is set at 80Hz, you may still be getting some transitional ouput above that so I would sleep better if you did not add any boost to the frequencies above that.

It is acceptable to cut boost but not to add it with EQ.

I really wish I could add more subs. Maybe some day when I have a dedicated space!!!!

Very nice!

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I really wish I could add more subs. Maybe some day when I have a dedicated space!!!!
Actually, adding subs is a pretty good method to get WAF for a dedicated space. Eventually, she will relent just to get all of that audio gear out of the living space. Worked for me ... well that and my finally just saying I'm doing it, get used to it. Now, she likes the dedicated room so much it has become OUR idea.:D

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Very nice. I bet you can register on the local seismograph...:p

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i think you were looking at the wrong harman multisub illustration. it didn't say 4 was ideal ... it said a thousand subs randomly located in the room is ideal :)

seriously though, i saw on avs somebody suggested stereo subs. i agree.

see benefits:
-left and right bass!
-another reason to buy more LFE subs. (F112 L and R, F113 x 4 LFE)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
did you also change the front acoustic panels to "chocolate"? or were they always chocolate? i remember those to be black

is there really a "chocolate" color at GiK? or is that coffee?

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
i think you were looking at the wrong harman multisub illustration. it didn't say 4 was ideal ... it said a thousand subs randomly located in the room is ideal

seriously though, i saw on avs somebody suggested stereo subs. i agree.

see benefits:
-left and right bass!
-another reason to buy more LFE subs. (F112 L and R, F113 x 4 LFE)
I think I am beginning to understand how you think Mike ... and, I like it.:eek::D

did you also change the front acoustic panels to "chocolate"? or were they always choolate? i remember those to be black

is there really a "chocolate" color at GiK? or is that coffee?
No, they have always been and yes, there is a chocolate.

The contrast with the old beige walls must have thrown you off.;)

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Looking back in my memory, I don't recall being that jealous of an audio room like that one.

Beam me up, Scotty!

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Looking back in my memory, I don't recall being that jealous of an audio room like that one.

Beam me up, Scotty!
Thanks, the frustrating part for me is that I don't get to spend nearly enough time in the room. I have the house to myself for a day this weekend and even with the great weather, I'm hanging out in the HT room:D.

P

Paul_A/V

Audiophyte
Great setup rmk. I own the Emotiva MMC-1 & MPS-2 and love them.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Thanks Paul, I'm afraid it's been a while since I updated my equipment list. I sold the Emotiva DMC-1 a while back. I like the unit a lot but I wanted the HD Audio formats and the Integra DCT 9.8 has em and was just to tempting. Here is a list of everything in the HT as of 05-08.

Electronics
Integra DCT 9.8 SSP
Sunfire TGA 7400 Amp
Panasonic BD-30 BluRay
Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
Oppo DV-970HD (DVD, SACD,DVD-A)
Comcast Moto DCT 3416 HD-DVR
Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer EQ
Tripplite Power Bar

Displays
Panasonic TH-58PH10UK 58" Plasma (720P)
Mitsubishi HC-4900 Projector (1080P)

Loudspeakers
Revel Ultima Studio Mains (ver1)
Revel Ultima Voice Center (ver2)
Revel I-30 Inwall Surrounds
Revel Embrace Surround back
JL Audio F113 Subwoofer's (pair)
JL Audio F112 Subwoofer's (pair)

Wires & Cables
All of the source devices are using HDMI to the Integra (no Coax or optical digital connect being used). The Integra as dual HDMI outs to the dislpays. I do have one set of Composite AV cables to the SMS-1 for sub EQ and display purposes.

The HDMI Cables (many) are from DVI gear through the Audioholics store. The Integra is using balanced connects from Blue Jeans Cables to the Sunfire. The The SMS-1 and Fathom Subs are using RCA Subwoofer cables also from the Audioholics store (I took advantage of the 10% off first order deal;))

I am demoing a set (LCR) of Straightwire Crescendo I's 8' pair (LR)+ 4' (CC). My Fathom dealer insisted that there is magic in these cables so left them here for me to test. They look like the biggest King Snake you ever saw slithering across the carpet of the HT room. He will give me a "great deal" on them making them only outrageously priced :rolleyes:. So far they sound as good as my home made speaker cables with Monster bananas. The locking banana clips are cool though.

Thats about it.:)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
No projector/screen = no Home Theater

I forgot to mention the Elite Cinetension powered screen (106” diag) in the equipment list. It is powered from the projector via a 12 volt trigger and has been a great bang for the buck addition to my room. I suppose some would say it isn’t an HT without theater seating and a snack bar but for me (and I mean no offense to anyone), it’s not a Home Theater without a projector and big screen.
Couple more pics:

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
RMK, you have an amazing setup there, with 4 fathoms... as well as all the rest of your sweet equipment...

I have been following your setup in the JL threads over at AVS.

Pretty cool... Very glad to see your happy with the setup...

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Very very nice set-up. If I were to walk into that ht room, I would think I died and went to heaven. :p:p You have some serious money tied up in that gear. This is the kind of set-up I have always visioned God himself would have up in heaven. :):) Congrats there rmk as you are one lucky guy.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Very very nice set-up. If I were to walk into that ht room, I would think I died and went to heaven. :p:p You have some serious money tied up in that gear. This is the kind of set-up I have always visioned God himself would have up in heaven. :):) Congrats there rmk as you are one lucky guy.
Thanks for the nice comments. Yes, I am fortunate but God has much better subwoofers (think thunderstorm).:)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the nice comments. Yes, I am fortunate but God has much better subwoofers (think thunderstorm).:)
Just to think the size of his subs.................am sure they are custom built...LOL!!!! :eek::eek:

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Blown amp takes my HT down

My two month old Sunfire TGA 7400 blew two channels this week but luckily didn’t take anything with it. Off to Sunfire for repairs so in the meantime decided to buy an AVR for backup and use in my family room system. I need/want 2 HDMI outs so that really limits my options. Decided to try a Denon 4308CI as I had good luck with a 3805 years ago. Found one (only one on No Cal) at BB and hooked it up only to have it refuse to power on. Returned the Denon to BB and the Frys Electronics (near my office) had the Onkyo 905 on sale (25% off) so I picked one up.
The 905 installed with no problems and even uses the same remote codes as my Integra 9.8 so the Harmony 880 activities worked perfectly. One problem is the Main HDMI output is the only one that will send an HD signal over my 15 meter HDMI cable. I had the Panasonic Plasma assigned to the “Main” out and the Mits Projector to the “Sub” HDMI out. With that setup I was getting a scrambled signal on the projector. Changing the projector cable to the main output resolved the issue. Weird science as both HDMI outs should be the same. Anyway the 905 is a nice receiver but definitely is thin sounding compared to the Integra/Sunfire combo.
I may be getting one of the new Ice Powered Wyred for Sound (W4S) multichannel amps this week for eval. This is dependent on their allowing a return minus a re-stocking fee. It will be 500W @8 Ohms for the front three channels and 250W for the 4 Surround channels. It has received some good reviews from users and this established B&M company is relatively local to me (nice 3 hour drive).

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
My two month old Sunfire TGA 7400 blew two channels this week but luckily didn’t take anything with it. Off to Sunfire for repairs so in the meantime decided to buy an AVR for backup and use in my family room system. I need/want 2 HDMI outs so that really limits my options. Decided to try a Denon 4308CI as I had good luck with a 3805 years ago. Found one (only one on No Cal) at BB and hooked it up only to have it refuse to power on. Returned the Denon to BB and the Frys Electronics (near my office) had the Onkyo 905 on sale (25% off) so I picked one up.
The 905 installed with no problems and even uses the same remote codes as my Integra 9.8 so the Harmony 880 activities worked perfectly. One problem is the Main HDMI output is the only one that will send an HD signal over my 15 meter HDMI cable. I had the Panasonic Plasma assigned to the “Main” out and the Mits Projector to the “Sub” HDMI out. With that setup I was getting a scrambled signal on the projector. Changing the projector cable to the main output resolved the issue. Weird science as both HDMI outs should be the same. Anyway the 905 is a nice receiver but definitely is thin sounding compared to the Integra/Sunfire combo.
I may be getting one of the new Ice Powered Wyred for Sound (W4S) multichannel amps this week for eval. This is dependent on their allowing a return minus a re-stocking fee. It will be 500W @8 Ohms for the front three channels and 250W for the 4 Surround channels. It has received some good reviews from users and this established B&M company is relatively local to me (nice 3 hour drive).
I'm thinking the house must have really been shakin' up to that point....:D

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I'm thinking the house must have really been shakin' up to that point....:D
That's funny, It didn't even occur to me that over driving would be the obvious explanation for blowing amp channels.:p

The real reason is a mystery to me. I had unplugged all of my electronics and speakers as I was doing a mod to my AV cabinet adding casters and removing the back panel (for ventilation) and adding some bracing for strength. I also change speaker cables and the balanced interconnects from the SSP to the amp. Got everything hooked up and I could smell electrical burning (or at least very hot) but no smoke. I played some music (low volume) and the top end of the mains sounded like my first transistor radio circa 1960.

Everything was wired correctly and the cables seem fine so it is a mystery.:confused:

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Is that a Pottery Barn ottoman?

If it is, I have the exact same one. :)

Love your setup. I showed it to my wife and she's on-board for doing our room similar to yours. woot!

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Is that a Pottery Barn ottoman?

If it is, I have the exact same one. :)

Love your setup. I showed it to my wife and she's on-board for doing our room similar to yours. woot!
Thanks:), Good that you have the wife onboard. We really love the room and spend a lot of time there some times just hanging out and reading. It has given us another 400+ sq ft of living space plus an HT/music room. Worked out even better than I had hoped.

The ottoman and sectional are from a local furniture store here in the Sacramento area, not PB but it could very well be the same manufacturer.

Good luck with your project and be sure and post your progress updates here.:cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis