rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Update

In preparation for this week’s arrival of dual JL Fathom F112’s, I moved my F113’s to the back wall position as shown in the #12 slide in the Harmon paper. The F112’s will be in the front position just outboard of the AV cabinet and inside of and slightly behind the mains. I will post FR graphs from the SMS-1 once the F112’s are installed.
The following graph and text are from the Harmon Multi-sub placement study.
http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/multsubs.pdf

I also painted the Revel I-30 in-walls to match the wall and be less obtrusive. BTW, painting screen material like that without a sprayer is a pain.

Last edited:
W

westcott

Audioholic General
In preparation for this week’s arrival of dual JL Fathom F112’s, I moved my F113’s to the back wall position as shown in the #12 slide in the Harmon paper. The F112’s will be in the front position just outboard of the AV cabinet and inside of and slightly behind the mains. I will post FR graphs from the SMS-1 once the F112’s are installed.

I also painted the Revel I-30 in-walls to match the wall and be less obtrusive. BTW, painting screen material like that without a sprayer is a pain.
The following graph and text are from the Harmon Multi-sub placement study.
(http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/multsubs.pdf)
Glad to see someone doing their homework. Actually, they present several positions for multiple subs. Some show good results with the subs in the corners, others with them placed opposing one another at the center of each wall. It may not be practical but I would suggest trying all the possible scenarios presented and seeing which one gives you the flattest response (or a frequency response that you can work with).

Good Luck. I look forward to your results and congratulate you on your willingness to do research.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Thanks Westcott,

These Forums can provide a wealth of information and that's where I get most of mine. Unfortunately, it still comes down to trial and error and since my room isn't a rectangle so the data in the Harmon study may not apply. I intend to try different sub positions and my dealer will be delivering the F112's, so he will undoubtedly have some suggestions. I like the current position for the F113's as they are now near field (<7' from the LP's) and are providing more tactile bass than before. My hope is that the F112's will provide uniform and powerful LF effect without running them *hot*.

With the on-board ARO feature of the Fathoms, my SMS-1 and the room treatments, I think I can get to where I want to go with this as the system already sounds very good.:D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
are your rear gik panels brown or black? :)

sorry im color blind :)

(or i refuse to recognize non primary colors)

camel is not a color. it's an animal. ;)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
are your rear gik panels brown or black? :)

sorry im color blind :)

(or i refuse to recognize non primary colors)

camel is not a color. it's an animal. ;)
:D
They're chocolate (brown to you and me;)). Speaking of panels, thats quite a collection you have there Mike.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
:D
They're chocolate (brown to you and me;)). Speaking of panels, thats quite a collection you have there Mike.
remember i asked you the question about the panels? that was the blessing i needed to order those :)

Matt34

Matt34

Quad JL's?!?

Love the overall look for the room, crown molding and the colors work really well together.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
remember i asked you the question about the panels? that was the blessing i needed to order those :)
Cool, I hope the shipping wasn't too bad.:)

BTW Mike, your HT is looking REALLY good ...

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Quad JL's?!?

Love the overall look for the room, crown molding and the colors work really well together.
Thanks Matt, it was your constructive criticism
The only thing that room is missing is some paint on the walls!
that got me off my butt and painting ... and I'm glad I did.:cool:

Matt34

Matt34

Thanks Matt, it was your constructive criticism that got me off my butt and painting ... and I'm glad I did.:cool:
I forgot I even posted that. Man I must be obsessed with painted walls.:eek:

With the quad subs are your going to contiune to use the SMS-1 or try something different? If I remember correctly it can only EQ three subs.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Thanks for sharing ... Your HT setup is my top praise:

Awesome !

Enjoy your HT system :)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I forgot I even posted that. Man I must be obsessed with painted walls.:eek:

With the quad subs are your going to contiune to use the SMS-1 or try something different? If I remember correctly it can only EQ three subs.
Re painting, I was in need of prompting and you gave it to me ... thanks!

The SMS-1 has three sub outs but will only EQ one sub or the summed output of multiples. I plan on running the Fathoms in dual Master/Slave mode and use the JL's ARO (Advanced Room Optimization) EQ for both pairs first to remove the most offensive room peak. I will then look at the rooms FR with the SMS-1 and make additional cuts as necessary while avoiding boosts as much as possible. I also have Audyssey Multi EQ via my Integra 9.8 so many was to approach the desired *even* room response. I don't pretend to be expert with any of these tools but I'm ready and willing to learn. Should be a fun process.

Matt34

Matt34

Re painting, I was in need of prompting and you gave it to me ... thanks!

The SMS-1 has three sub outs but will only EQ one sub or the summed output of multiples. I plan on running the Fathoms in dual Master/Slave mode and use the JL's ARO (Advanced Room Optimization) EQ for both pairs first to remove the most offensive room peak. I will then look at the rooms FR with the SMS-1 and make additional cuts as necessary while avoiding boosts as much as possible. I also have Audyssey Multi EQ via my Integra 9.8 so many was to approach the desired *even* room response. I don't pretend to be expert with any of these tools but I'm ready and willing to learn. Should be a fun process.
SVS should be releasing it's Audyssey AS-EQ1 system soon(I think). I've read it can do two different subs at two different locations and allows for time delay corrections.

I have to wonder though if introducing that many EQ's into the system would have a negative effect?

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
SVS should be releasing it's Audyssey AS-EQ1 system soon(I think). I've read it can do two different subs at two different locations and allows for time delay corrections.

I have to wonder though if introducing that many EQ's into the system would have a negative effect?
I've had my eye on the SVS EQ1 for a while now. I had an email exchange with Ed Mullin and he indicated that it was several months out.

Re the multi EQ's, I will try all of those combinations as well as none at all and can/will eliminate any from the chain that are unnecessary or degrade the LFE signal.

What I really like about the SMS-1 is the instant feedback of the FR graph on my Plasma display. It may lack resolution as compared to some other PC based EQ options but when setting up or tweaking, the real time view is a great feature. My understanding is that the SVS EQ1 will not have this feature.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
the JL's have a balanced input correct?

the SMS-1 has 3 RCA outputs and 1 XLR output :) = 4 subs ... the excess you need to ship to me :)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
the JL's have a balanced input correct?

the SMS-1 has 3 RCA outputs and 1 XLR output :) = 4 subs ... the excess you need to ship to me :)
As usual you are correct Mike. I think if anyone has excess subbage, it is you.:D

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Quad subs in da house

The dual JL Fathom F112’s arrived yesterday and they were delivered by my dealer. I set them up yesterday afternoon in one of the multiple sub configurations recommended in the Harmon paper. I have these in a quad mono config with two if the subs acting as the master subs and the other two as slave subs. Once they were in place I ran JL’s ARO (advanced room optimization) single band EQ on both master subs. I then fired up my Velo SMS-1 and took a look at the room response.

As you can see from the SMS-1 graph, I have plenty of head room and had to apply multiple cuts at the lowest frequencies. After EQ with the SMS-1 I had a pretty good looking FR curve in the room. All my speakers are set to small and the X-over is 80Hz for all the speakers with LFE only going to the quad subs.

I played some bass heavy music and several movie clips and my system has never sounded this good. Very clean and effortless bass on even the most challenging of material. With the F113 pair near field, the sectional couch was doing some serious shaking in movie clips like Cloverfield, my new LFE favorite. I will be doing much tweaking and testing in the coming weeks but at this juncture, I believe that even with less capable subs, this type of deployment would yield very good results in most rooms.
Here are some pics:
Side by side

EQing

The SMS-1 room FR graph

Front view (F112's)

F113's in the back (near field:D)

Last edited:
rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
That room looks like A/V nirvana to me.:D
Thanks Matt, it's getting there but there is always room for improvement. My "dealer" was telling me how I "need" $900 power cables (to all my source components and amp), a $2K power conditioner and some very expensive speaker cables if I want my system to perform to it's "full potiential". Now he is a very nice guy but he was spewing all of this shite with a serious and sincere look on his face that only a true believer could muster.

The "high end" of this hobby can be a very silly place:p

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis