Need help with a DIY sub

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
Im gonna build a subwoofer in my wood shop class. Yay for me. I'm gonna try and make it a good one so I'm thinking about using a 12" Dayton titanic mkIII but when I add in a 300w plate amp it's about $80 too much. I only want to spend $200 so a titanic probably isn't gonna happen with that budget. I'm probably gonna use a 300W bash plate amp because they are the cheapest and 300 is a decent wattage (I'm gonna try to build the box to also accomadate the 500w model if I wanna upgrade). Any 12-15" subs that will slam about as hard or harder than a titanic for about $100? Let's ignore the cost of wood for now because the school will cover some and I don't know how big the box is gonna have to be.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Im gonna build a subwoofer in my wood shop class. Yay for me. I'm gonna try and make it a good one so I'm thinking about using a 12" Dayton titanic mkIII but when I add in a 300w plate amp it's about $80 too much. I only want to spend $200 so a titanic probably isn't gonna happen with that budget. I'm probably gonna use a 300W bash plate amp because they are the cheapest and 300 is a decent wattage (I'm gonna try to build the box to also accomadate the 500w model if I wanna upgrade). Any 12-15" subs that will slam about as hard or harder than a titanic for about $100? Let's ignore the cost of wood for now because the school will cover some and I don't know how big the box is gonna have to be.
Infinity Reference 1260W: $56
Dayton BASH 300 for $114 or the 500 for $189.

Attached are the box plans.

Attachments

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
Doesn't quite compete with the titanic from what I can see but I could buy 2 at that price and I bet it would SLAM HARD :D

jinjuku

jinjuku

Doesn't quite compete with the titanic from what I can see but I could buy 2 at that price and I bet it would SLAM HARD :D
What would make you say that? Be interested in the data you can provide. Not everything is about wattage.

If 109dB at 21Hz isn't enough then I don't know what will do it for you.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
What would make you say that? Be interested in the data you can provide. Not everything is about wattage.

If 109dB at 21Hz isn't enough then I don't know what will do it for you.
where did you find 109db at 21hz? i didnt see that :O just reading the specs it seems the dayton is a bit better which i expect... i just wanna get something thats gonna serve me well for quite a while since its gonna take ALOT to get that $$$ from my mom

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
where did you find 109db at 21hz? i didnt see that :O just reading the specs it seems the dayton is a bit better which i expect... i just wanna get something thats gonna serve me well for quite a while since its gonna take ALOT to get that $$$ from my mom
a) See attached (pdf) model of this driver in ported box
b) just promise her to clean your room :rolleyes::D

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
a) See attached (pdf) model of this driver in ported box
b) just promise her to clean your room :rolleyes::D
easier said than done.... all the crap on my floor has all kinds of wires weaved through it and then i have close to 100lbs of just random boxes full of destroyed electronics

As a note here, you're on your way to becoming a packrat.

i should have listened :/
edit: i viewed the pdf earlier on my ipod so i missed it but i just took a close look at the graph and thats pretty good. but im a bit uneasy about it being classified as a car subwoofer

jinjuku

jinjuku

Take some time and read through the PDF I attached.

jinjuku

jinjuku

i should have listened :/
edit: i viewed the pdf earlier on my ipod so i missed it but i just took a close look at the graph and thats pretty good. but im a bit uneasy about it being classified as a car subwoofer
Then don't build it.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
hmmm.... i like it :D but should i buy the single vc or dual vc one? in your post you mentioned the single vc model # but posted the dual vc ones price so im confused

jinjuku

jinjuku

hmmm.... i like it :D but should i buy the single vc or dual vc one? in your post you mentioned the single vc model # but posted the dual vc ones price so im confused
Get the 1260w (single coil)...

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
one more question, will the material the box is made of make much difference? the pdf says it needs a wall thickness of 0.75" but my school has 0.5" plywood. you think it would be ok or do i need to order special wood for it?
(sorry for the questions, its my first time)

jinjuku

jinjuku

one more question, will the material the box is made of make much difference? the pdf says it needs a wall thickness of 0.75" but my school has 0.5" plywood. you think it would be ok or do i need to order special wood for it?
(sorry for the questions, its my first time)
Please use 3/4" MDF (actually it is 19mm). MDF is inexpensive, it cuts nice. I am assuming there is dust collection on the machinery there. Wear a dust mask. You don't want to be breathing that stuff.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
would a slightly modifyed version of avaserfi's box design work good for this? i would just modify the braces a bit to accomadate the amp

jinjuku

jinjuku

would a slightly modifyed version of avaserfi's box design work good for this? i would just modify the braces a bit to accomadate the amp
I would put the plate amp in a separate box and attach that to the sub. Just think 'piggybacked'. That should be a piece of cake compared to the actual sub box.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
would the braces need to be mdf too? because planning this all out i have enough mdf to do everything except the 2 brace pieces. if they have any scrap mdf i should be good but just incase

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis