Need a new bluray player.. Oppo 93 quality for cheap.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks Joe, I didn't know that. Are there used Oppos to be had anywhere?
Cheers Jeff

G

Grador

I think what he means by "not real" is that it requires a receiver that supports DSD over HDMI.

ahblaza

ahblaza

I think what he means by "not real" is that it requires a receiver that supports DSD over HDMI.
I should have know that as the 509 does not have 5-7.1 analog pre-outs to begin with, unless there is not much difference between analog and HDMI out, sound quality wise, which I suspect there is. How do you know if your receiver supports DSD over HDMI? Thanks, seriously.
Jeff

G

Grador

I should have know that as the 509 does not have 5-7.1 analog pre-outs to begin with, unless there is not much difference between analog and HDMI out, sound quality wise, which I suspect there is. How do you know if your receiver supports DSD over HDMI? Thanks, seriously.
Jeff
Sound quality will be completely dependent upon DAC implementation. Though I'm normally one of the first to scoff at external DACs, given how small the market for DSD in the receiver will be the support could possibly be a pretty mediocre hack, quality might suffer. It may not though, I've never done any research on this.

As for figuring it out, the manual is a good place to start.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
No kidding. Makes me wish I had a 4K Video Projector, 4K Video AVR, so I can try out the 4K Panasonic BD. :D

Not even the flagship Oppo or Denon BD has 4K Upscale video.

And we know the actual street price of that Panasonic 330 will probably be less than $200. Probably will be out by end of this Month.

This is the exact reason we should never spend a lot of money on BD players & AVR & Displays. Newer higher technology comes out constantly. Like my $2K Denon BD player is worth next to nothing now. :eek: My $7500 Denon AVP can't do 4K Video. Oh, well. I'll just convince myself that 4K Video Upscale does absolutely nothing vs 1080p. :D

There ya go. The OPPO 105 can up scale 4k, But since I don't have a 4k TV I can't test it. OPPO BDP-105 Blu-ray Disc Player

and the new Denon receivers can all handle 4k

and with your money you for sure can afford a 4k projector or set, it's cheaper than your Salons.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
BOTH current Oppos do 4K :) Pretty much every player that comes out this year is likely to have 4K upscaling, whether or not there are displays out there capable of it. Buzzword right now.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks Joe, I didn't know that. Are there used Oppos to be had anywhere?
Cheers Jeff
I bought mine off an AVS Forum member, but they can be found on ebay frequently. The 980H was the cheapest option for SACD/DVD-A. It upconverts regular DVD's nicely too. It's one of the last DVD players they put out before their Blu-ray models. I watched Prison Break Season 1 over the weekend and the sound and PQ was outstanding. I'm so glad I got it, can't you tell? :D

I'm on the fence betwwen the 590 or the soon to release Sony BDP-S5100. No release date yet arrrggg.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yep. I sold my 980 when I bought my 83SE. It was an excellent player. You can also look out for the 970 and 981HD.

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
The Oppo BD105 is the real deal. It does everything it is advertised to do and does it really really well. Picture quality and analog audio performance is stellar. My only beef is bass management. I wish there was an option to use my subs for music playback in Pure Audio mode; if in set up you choose to run your mains full range no LFE signal is output.
Not a big deal if you are using a pre/pro but as I am waiting for the Emo XMC-1 I guess I'll just have to wait...

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
The Oppo BD105 is the real deal. It does everything it is advertised to do and does it really really well. Picture quality and analog audio performance is stellar. My only beef is bass management. I wish there was an option to use my subs for music playback in Pure Audio mode; if in set up you choose to run your mains full range no LFE signal is output.
Not a big deal if you are using a pre/pro but as I am waiting for the Emo XMC-1 I guess I'll just have to wait...
Hey Chukker, I was just wondering about your configuration. I have the 105 too and love it. I am using the dedicated stereo RCA outputs to my receiver. As well as the 7.1 analog outs. I have the Audio processing of the Oppo set to "Down mixed stereo" Front speakers are set to large with a crossover of 60hz, and when I hit the pure audio button on the Oppo, I do get subwoofer output.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Hey Chukker, I was just wondering about your configuration. I have the 105 too and love it. I am using the dedicated stereo RCA outputs to my receiver. As well as the 7.1 analog outs. I have the Audio processing of the Oppo set to "Down mixed stereo" Front speakers are set to large with a crossover of 60hz, and when I hit the pure audio button on the Oppo, I do get subwoofer output.
He has no receiver/pre-pro in the chain right now I believe.

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
^ Correct. No LFE output in Pure Audio mode if your mains are set to large with the BD-105.
Not a big deal for me as my mains have powered subs in them but I actually prefer how my system sounded in 2 channel with both subs engaged. I moved the Denon 3808CI to the bedroom however so I no longer have its 'Pure Direct' mode.
Reason being I want to have a HDMI 1.4 compliant receiver minimum in my HT but more likely I will just wait until the Emotiva flagship pre/pro comes out so I will have more bass management options (dedicated support for two subs) as well as balanced outputs for my amps.
Other than that, the Oppo has been a gem. Great piece of kit.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I talked to Emotiva about the XMC-1 vs UMC-200 because of some of the issues I was having and they were not forthcoming about the XMC's estimated release. I get the impression it is still going to be a while before we see the XMC.

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
^ Same. When I talked with them they said late this year. If you and I are having this conversation this time next year I probably will go with another Denon for a pre/pro...

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
^ Correct. No LFE output in Pure Audio mode if your mains are set to large with the BD-105.
Not a big deal for me as my mains have powered subs in them but I actually prefer how my system sounded in 2 channel with both subs engaged. I moved the Denon 3808CI to the bedroom however so I no longer have its 'Pure Direct' mode.
Reason being I want to have a HDMI 1.4 compliant receiver minimum in my HT but more likely I will just wait until the Emotiva flagship pre/pro comes out so I will have more bass management options (dedicated support for two subs) as well as balanced outputs for my amps.
Other than that, the Oppo has been a gem. Great piece of kit.
I agree, the Oppo is built like a tank. It's picture and sound are fantastic. and it sounds great with CDs, or Blue ray

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Well I ordered a Sony BDP-BX59(Identical to the 590) should be here Mon or Tues.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
ahblaza

ahblaza

Looked at some used 95s and they want almost as much as new 105, what's up with that? Found a nice 83SE, price $650:eek:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm on the hunt now too for a new BluRay player now that I've learned that my Sony BDP-S360 is at fault for not being able to play the new Total Recall BluRay. Its too bad because I have no problems with any other BluRay since then. Men In Black III, the new Borne flick and Skyfall all played without a hitch. I'll just relegate the Sony to bedroom duty replacing a standard DVD player in that setup.

I've got my eyes set on either the DMP-BD87 or the DMP-BDT220 as my replacement. Its interesting that Panasonic still offers 2 channel analog out which is what I want as it will also be my CD player as well.

I hope they ship them to Canada soon as they are still not available here.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I've got my eyes set on either the DMP-BD87 or the DMP-BDT220 as my replacement...I hope they ship them to Canada soon as they are still not available here.
Do you mean the DMP-BD89 and DMP-BDT230? Both of the models that you listed are available on Amazon Canada. I'm waiting for the 230 myself, and hopefully it gets released in the next couple of weeks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis