Need a new bluray player.. Oppo 93 quality for cheap.

N

NewYorkBlack

Banned
Can someone recommend a bluray play with the video processing performance of the Oppo 93 for both bluray and dvd's? I don't really care about the analog performance.
Spending $500 for a bluray player this day and age to me is crazy. I'm looking for something in the $180 - $250 range or less.
I just sold my Panasonic dmp-35 (great player) and I'm currently using my ps3 for Bluray (very good) and some dvd's (ps3 suck at dvd's).

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
(ps3 suck at dvd's).

Thanks for any help.
I wonder why? My PS3 does not suck at dvd at all. I know it is not be as good as the Oppo displaying test material, but I would say pretty close in watching dvd movies. Having tried a few different players, AVRs, and TVs, I found that the quality of the dvd itself has more to do with PQ than the hyped up upconversion/upscaling thing.

For a little over $100 you should be able to get a Sony 470 or 480.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Why did you sell your Panasonic?

I love my Panasonic 110 BD.:D

I think you should buy directly from Amazon. If you don't like, the shipping is free both ways (30 day return policy).

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If I wanted a quality BD/DVD player for under $200, then I would get, and I have gotten for others, the Panasonic DMP-BDT210.

If I wanted the best damn player on the market and had expectations of actual quality, I would get an Oppo and would not think for a second about anything else because I would realize that demanding Oppo quality for less money than Oppo is absolutely ridiculous. Oppo sets a standard for quality AND price which not one other company has been able to match, and others have copied for far more.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The PS3 does just fine with DVDs, so I am not sure what the issue is either. No, it is not quite as good as my Oppo, but they are DVDs. Poor quality DVDs are going to look bad even on the best player out there. Anything at about $100-200 is going to be comparable to the PS3.

If you really want Oppo quality without the new price, get a USED Oppo.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I really don't think there's a huge gap in video performance anymore. As long as you get a decent brand (essentially the major Japanese and Korean manufacturers), there won't be much difference. Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, etc. all use pretty decent chip sets and integrate them competently. Just like with computer chips, you get more for your money with audio and video processing capabilities.

Jim

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Wouldn't the BDT220 be a better model to get?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Duh thought I saw 2013. I'm in the same dilemma I need a new BD myself for about $130 or less.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm surprised the flagship Oppo can't stream as many channels (Amazon Prime for example) as even a $100 Panasonic BD player. What's up with that?

My issue w/ Amazon Prime video is the lack of 5.1 Audio on the Panasonic BD (Netflix is 5.1).

Seriously, if Oppo adds Amazon Video 5.1 & Netflix 5.1, I may just get an Oppo BD.

Oh, BTW Panasonic is coming out with the newer models (like 330) that has 4K video upscale, dual HDMI, and all the streaming for $200.
Panasonic DMP-BDT330 - Smart Network 3D Blu-Ray Discâ„¢ Player - Overview

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Damn that looks tempting maybe I'll get a used one for the time being then pick up the 330 when it's available. 220 then? Yeah Roku does not have 5.1 when playing on my HK 247, but works with the Pana I have, weird.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Damn that looks tempting...
No kidding. Makes me wish I had a 4K Video Projector, 4K Video AVR, so I can try out the 4K Panasonic BD. :D

Not even the flagship Oppo or Denon BD has 4K Upscale video.

And we know the actual street price of that Panasonic 330 will probably be less than $200. Probably will be out by end of this Month.

This is the exact reason we should never spend a lot of money on BD players & AVR & Displays. Newer higher technology comes out constantly. Like my $2K Denon BD player is worth next to nothing now. :eek: My $7500 Denon AVP can't do 4K Video. Oh, well. I'll just convince myself that 4K Video Upscale does absolutely nothing vs 1080p. :D

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
A lot of "quality" is in the luck of the draw. I bought a Panny BD-60 (for the wireless wi-fi and analog MC audio) ahd had problems wit it and the three (yes, THREE) refurbs Panny sent me to replace it. I finally said f**k the analog audio (and panny) and asked them to just replace it with another one of a diferent line and settled for a 210 and, over a year later, it's still working. But, that's the last panny I'll ever buy.

Givinyg up on analog audio, I've subsequently ought a Sony 580 and a little 390, both wireless wi-fi, and both are working great. I love that tiny 390 and it gets a slew of internet apps.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
markw Thanks! I had the Sony 570 before the storm and never had a problem with it, except I didn't like the Netflix interface on there. I heard it's better now. I think I'll go for the Sony 590. Anyone here own one? The 4k upscaling won't do me good If I don't have a 4k TV from what I've read online.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don;t like the Netflix interface on the Panny BD-65 either, FWIW. But it does a decent job of streaming. I've switched to PS3s for streaming completely because they seem to do the best job at buffering and 5.1 audio.

I bought the BDT-220 for my parents and they are quite happy with it so far. I haven't even had a chance to check it out yet.

AFAIK, both of the new Oppos stream 5.1 Netflix.

Last edited:
ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
markw Thanks! I had the Sony 570 before the storm and never had a problem with it, except I didn't like the Netflix interface on there. I heard it's better now. I think I'll go for the Sony 590. Anyone here own one? The 4k upscaling won't do me good If I don't have a 4k TV from what I've read online.
Joe, I think I'm going to get the Sony 590 for $90 on Amazon only for the SACD playback. I have the Panny 500 now and really like it, no problems so far and analog section is real nice for CD playback. I also have the Panny BD85 and it has never had a single issue. Like John I use my PS3 for most streaming though, reliable and does 5.1 with no issues.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
ahblaza the Sony 570/590 Is NOT a true SACD player, which I read on a couple of forums. This is why I got the Oppo 980H + for the DVD-A(Sony 570/590 don't ).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis