H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Well, this is now showing up in the national news outlets. For those of you who haven't heard, this is what it's about.

The city of Charlotte passed a law requiring every business with more than 15 employees to provide a bathroom for transgender people. (That's people of one sex who dress and act like the other sex, actual surgery or not.) This could be a one-person bathroom, available to anybody.

The NC Legislature passed a bill that the Governor signed into law. It said a city cannot place such a requirement on private businesses, and if only Men & Women bathrooms are available, people must use the one matching the sex on their birth certificate.

The LGBT and liberal communities say the law is discriminatory. A transgender person should be able to use the bathroom of the gender with which they identify. Obama's White House agrees and is threatening to pull federal funding for the University of North Carolina system.

The Governor and conservative communities say the law is not discriminatory. A man dressed like a woman should not be allowed in a girl's bathroom with our daughters and wives. The Governor has sued for a ruling in federal court.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
A man dressed like a woman should not be allowed in a girl's bathroom with our daughters and wives. The Governor has sued for a ruling in federal court.
Just because these guys still male parts attached (or not anymore), doesn't make them Men, if you know what I mean

Cosmic Char

Cosmic Char

Audioholic
Think I will carry a dress with me, as it will save a great deal of time waiting in line at the head!

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Definitely a sticky situation.

As a father (albeit no girls), I can understand the concern folks have of what appear to be males going into women's restrooms. I can also understand the concern that some straight guys might try to abuse this law to get their jollies/potentially molest someone in a women's restroom. OTOH, I have no doubt that if Adam tried to walk into a women's restroom and starting leering at other occupants, he'd be quickly arrested regardless of his attire or whether or not he claimed to be a woman on the inside. :D

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
NC has sued the Feds. The Feds say they'll be withholding education funds from NC for not complying and are suing them back. In a general sense, I think the Feds have gotten too strong and look to impose their views on how things should be. I don't see them withholding funds and aid for the myriad of sanctuary cities or from religious groups that aid illegals thereby interjecting themselves into the political process. Should be interesting how this plays out in the courts which I assume will reach the Supreme Court eventually if not sooner.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai

As a father (albeit no girls), I can understand the concern folks have of what appear to be males going into women's restrooms. I can also understand the concern that some straight guys might try to abuse this law to get their jollies/potentially molest someone in a women's restroom. OTOH, I have no doubt that if Adam tried to walk into a women's restroom and starting leering at other occupants, he'd be quickly arrested regardless of his attire or whether or not he claimed to be a woman on the inside. :D
It's not just the bathrooms but also when it comes to sports. What are you going to do when a guy who fancies himself a ladyboy looks to not only participate in field hockey but use the communal showers? The world has gotten very weird for me in the past few years.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
It's not just the bathrooms but also when it comes to sports. What are you going to do when a guy who fancies himself a ladyboy looks to not only participate in field hockey but use the communal showers?
Like I said, it's a sticky topic. In that case, there are two concerns. The first boils down to whether or not you view a transgendered person as an effeminate male or truly a woman stuck in a male body. The second is a matter of what everyone else in the locker room sees.

The world has gotten very weird for me in the past few years.
What can I say, I grew up in a time where the President was questioning the meaning of the word "is", Columbine HS got shot up, etc. My first job was less than 5 miles away from the Pentagon, where I could have had a birds eye view of Islamic radicals crashing a jet into it had I not moved cross country a month or two earlier. My world has always been a bit strange.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just now making the international rounds? This was big news here for quite some time. Many companies, festivals, concerts, etc... all cancelled or pulled out things going on in that state. A few companies said they would move their operations to other states.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Just now making the international rounds? This was big news here for quite some time. Many companies, festivals, concerts, etc... all cancelled or pulled out things going on in that state. A few companies said they would move their operations to other states.
There's more than a little hypocrisy when those same companies do business in countries like Saudi Arabia. Same for most of the musical performers who if they get caught might donate the proceeds.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Why are you peeking over the stalls in the first place?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There's more than a little hypocrisy when those same companies do business in countries like Saudi Arabia. Same for most of the musical performers who if they get caught might donate the proceeds.
Everything is that way. They're just making the statements to look like they support something, even if they don't really care.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan

OTOH, I have no doubt that if Adam tried to walk into a women's restroom and starting leering at other occupants, he'd be quickly arrested regardless of his attire or whether or not he claimed to be a woman on the inside. :D
That would explain the untimely absence of Adam & Doug....
I hope that when they do get out they'd be willing to shed some light, so we can get their alternative points of view.:D
P.S. A 'Wedge Issue' coming out months before an election.. I'm shocked and sure it's just a coincidence.
Just so glade our government is helping and doesn't have any other pressing issues:rolleyes:

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Just so glade our government is helping and doesn't have any other pressing issues:rolleyes:
There's always soda to worry about. Because you know, if you levy a $2 tax on a 2-liter or $4.32 on a 12 pack of cans, people will be totally cool paying that versus doing their shopping in the burbs.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
We shouldn't have gender based bathrooms anyway. Just have one bathroom with all the stalls and sinks and the problem is solved. There are plenty of scenarios where boys, girls, men and women need to use the same bathroom as their caretaker. If we weren't so puritan about seeing skin we could make the locker rooms a single one too.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
There are times when I have had to take my daughters into the men's room. They go into the stall and do their business. It's a part of life. I like the family bathrooms when they are available. Now, they are old enough I don't have to deal with it.

When I was in Belgium, they didn't have the hangups we do. I went to use a bathroom when it was being cleaned by a couple of ladies. A buddy and I were feeling mighty awkward because they kept on cleaning while we just stood there. The ladies realized we were Americans and stepped out so we could go. We have more hangups over it in the states than is really necessary.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Obama's kids went to a private school, Sidwell. Wonder if their bathrooms were all inclusive?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm curious as to what exactly triggered this? The incident that was cause for there to be a law, wedge issue aside, that was noticed by some politician or lobbyist to get it on the books.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I see these as trivial side issues, John, meant to divert the focus of the population and championed by the politicos from issues that have a unifying benefit to the entire population like jobs that pay well and have real growth. The politicos on both sides are segmenting the population into little groups because I think it's easier to appease and control them rather than dealing with major issues.

Btw, where does this person go to the bathroom?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis