S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The T6's aren't playing in terms of dynamics.

I really cranked them and was seeing peaks of 115-120db on Z weighted - switching over to A weighted was closer to 100db as the low roll off is steeper - this is extremely loud to me - a little bass heavy as shown in the measurements above but it does have some decent tactile feel to it - I feel it's like having a small sub in room.
For the cost, their bass is amazing, and it is why I emphasized that aspect in my review. Most people really will not need subs with these things. And there aren't many subs that can match the bass they can produce for the same cost when on discounted sale.

T

tbob22

Enthusiast
For the cost, their bass is amazing, and it is why I emphasized that aspect in my review. Most people really will not need subs with these things. And there aren't many subs that can match the bass they can produce for the same cost when on discounted sale.
Yeah, especially at $240 a pair. Assuming you aren't hitting some strong room modes in your listening area then they should slam pretty hard. The room I've been listening to them in is about 1800 cu ft and open to kitchen/hallway - probably not even the most ideal conditions and they can certainly pressurize the room a bit - get that rattling feeling in my teeth :).

I have had that issue in my theater in the mid bass region - in there the I could really get proper midbass slam is to add additional subs toward middle of the room - the nulls get really strong with subs/towers only near the back/front walls - lower bass from about 60-10hz is good but between 60-80hz things get messy at the listening area. Adding large bass traps helped but I ended up just throwing more subs at it :).

D

David_Alexander

Enthusiast
I'm running these with a THX-365C and I love the way they sound. Insane value to performance ratio.
IMG-20231026-WA0003.jpg

I thought I got a good deal (UK) when I bought a bunch of Monolith gear as Monoprice pulled out of Europe.
2x M-15 v2 subs at $740 each
2x T6 at $220 each
2x B6 at $104 each

Then I saw that, I'm guessing briefly, the T6 were down to $169 each on the Monoprice site. Although now out of stock and no ETA.

I've run them without centre but with the 2 subs crossed at 80Hz with EQ management using Dirac on a 2.1 channel amp and you really wouldn't know you were running a phantom centre.

I'm currently transitioning to a 5.2.2 set up using the B6 as surrounds with Arendal 1961 heights with a Denon AVR. Although I can see myself shelling out for the Dirac licence because of how well that works in my room.

And personally, while these towers do dig deep for music, with films and other LFE content you need subs. But then I like my bass

D

David_Alexander

Enthusiast
If I plug the ports I'm getting silly low response. Without plugging very good output to about 25hz. No EQ applied.

I think I'm noticing a slight resonance in the upper midbass/low midrange. I believe that's what is in the graph here:

View attachment 64150View attachment 64151
That's an interesting in room response. Especially the port blocked sweep. What are the room dimensions? You could probably EQ that flat to 17Hz, which is ridiculous for a (any) sans sub system.

T

tbob22

Enthusiast
That's an interesting in room response. Especially the port blocked sweep. What are the room dimensions? You could probably EQ that flat to 17Hz, which is ridiculous for a (any) sans sub system.
About 14x17x8, open to hallway/kitchen as well.

D

David_Alexander

Enthusiast
About 14x17x8, open to hallway/kitchen as well.
I'm gobsmacked. It's worth running a sweep after EQ to confirm. No need for subs there unless you want to have enough headroom to compensate for big, quick booms.

I found my T6 were a little boomy port open. But maybe I could just block the port and re-EQ with them set to large.

T

tbob22

Enthusiast
I'm gobsmacked. It's worth running a sweep after EQ to confirm. No need for subs there unless you want to have enough headroom to compensate for big, quick booms.

I found my T6 were a little boomy port open. But maybe I could just block the port and re-EQ with them set to large.
I mean it's on an old AVR so no EQ except tone controls. I have been running them at -3db bass and it sounds pretty good, they are set to large with no sub of course. I could run it through a PC and use Equalizer APO or pull the minidsp from the theater but really they sound pretty good as-is for now.

D

David_Alexander

Enthusiast
I mean it's on an old AVR so no EQ except tone controls. I have been running them at -3db bass and it sounds pretty good, they are set to large with no sub of course. I could run it through a PC and use Equalizer APO or pull the minidsp from the theater but really they sound pretty good as-is for now.
This is my unsmoothed REW of 2x M15 subs in room. Red is time aligned. That's why I'm amazed by the response of your T6 in room.
What this doesn't show is the lack of distortion from the subs. You could rack up the SPL and have no distortion down to 15 Hz.
T
1699992279490.png

T

tbob22

Enthusiast
This is my unsmoothed REW of 2x M15 subs in room. Red is time aligned. That's why I'm amazed by the response of your T6 in room.
What this doesn't show is the lack of distortion from the subs. You could rack up the SPL and have no distortion down to 15 Hz.
T View attachment 64197
Yeah, no doubt. According to the measurements from my theater distortion stays under 5% to about 10hz at ~95db, with the T6's it reaches 5% at about 22hz ported and 25hz sealed (also bit less SPL in that measurement) and goes up from there - so while they reach low it's probably not exactly usable bass below that.

Still very impressive - if I look at the data from my Diamond 9.6's the distortion was about 10% at that same level - where it starts to become more audible at lower frequencies.

Seems to kind of line up with this data if you account for room gain and losses at ~10ft away. At ~28hz it was showing about 3% THD at 1m.

I did run across this - just shows how impressive the Encores are at this price point. I feel like they aren't all that far behind in some ways - just in terms of distortion of course. Actually less distortion way down low. Ported may be a different story though.

Last edited:
T

tbob22

Enthusiast

Discontinued.
Well they were nice while they lasted. Get the open box C6 while it's available if needed. I'm a little tempted at $85 each. I'm guessing we'll see the T6's open box in short order as well.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
D

David_Alexander

Enthusiast
Surprised by this, unless they are just updating the line. I've got the 6 range for R C L and 2* bookshelf for surround duties.

The centre I've swapped out in practice for the THX-365C but that's because I like the design, rather than any detriment to the 6 center.

Thankfully, if you have the 6 range they'll be with you for as long as you want to keep them. They don't go kaput like active speakers or subs.

T

tbob22

Enthusiast
Surprised by this, unless they are just updating the line. I've got the 6 range for R C L and 2* bookshelf for surround duties.

The centre I've swapped out in practice for the THX-365C but that's because I like the design, rather than any detriment to the 6 center.

Thankfully, if you have the 6 range they'll be with you for as long as you want to keep them. They don't go kaput like active speakers or subs.
Yeah, if used horizontally the MTM design has a lot of problems. I think they would be interesting if run all vertically in a full surround setup paired with sub(s) - perfect timbre matching which is really nice for gaming. And at $85 one could build a full 7 channel system for $595.

According to Erin's Audio Corner they actually measure a bit better than the T6's and are missing some of the resonance issues of the T6 - maybe due to the sealed cabinet. They obviously won't have the same low end extension.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I am so tempted to grab (2) of the C6's, turn them upright, connect (2) subs and see how everything sounds. This would be an experimental 2-channel setup.

T

tbob22

Enthusiast
I am so tempted to grab (2) of the C6's, turn them upright, connect (2) subs and see how everything sounds. This would be an experimental 2-channel setup.
I don't think you'd be disappointed especially at the price point.

I did see someone on Youtube that had the C6's as surrounds with T6's up front and a B6 as a center.

I'm personally a bit tempted to replace all my surrounds in the theater with C6's and use the T5's (currently in garage - a bit overkill tbh) in the living room and move the T6's to the theater. Even though they are missing the midrange of my old Wharfedale 9.6/CM's I think they would be better suited for movies but dialogue may suffer compared to current center with the soft dome midrange. Upgrading the tiny 9.SR's to C6's would probably make a pretty big difference.

I was hoping the 460T and 365C would go on deepers sales but the prices have just been a bit too steep for me to justify upgrading.

D

David_Alexander

Enthusiast
C6s as upturned surrounds. Why didn't I think of that :rolleyes:

They aren't available in UK any more. However, there is one on eBay over here.

Sealed, so placement easy. I have one. May make an offer on that other one.

T

tbob22

Enthusiast
C6s as upturned surrounds. Why didn't I think of that :rolleyes:

They aren't available in UK any more. However, there is one on eBay over here.

Sealed, so placement easy. I have one. May make an offer on that other one.
How are you liking the 365C paired with the T6's? Here we can order it at Target and return in store for free.

I'm getting a little tempted to swap the speakers out in my theater just to see how they compare directly in place of the old Wharfedales just would have to run through Dirac again.

D

David_Alexander

Enthusiast
How are you liking the 365C paired with the T6's? Here we can order it at Target and return in store for free.

I'm getting a little tempted to swap the speakers out in my theater just to see how they compare directly in place of the old Wharfedales just would have to run through Dirac again.
I never set up the C6, I just set up with the 365C when it came up on the second hand market.
The 365C is as good as people say it is and matches the T6 timbre-wise, it's like they are from the same line up.
The T6 are a revelation for their price point. Easily outperforming the Monitor Audio Bronze 6's they replaced. They could probably do with more space than I give them but since I cross with subs it's not such an issue.
Erin mentions in a review that they take well to EQ. Not 100% sure what he meant but they 'like' Dirac. I also use these in 2 channel using a Dirac enabled Arcam SR250 amp and they sound great in terms of clarity and soundstaging. So much so that when I got my Denon for surround duties I forked out for the full Dirac suite on top.

T

tbob22

Enthusiast
Erin mentions in a review that they take well to EQ. Not 100% sure what he meant but they 'like' Dirac. I also use these in 2 channel using a Dirac enabled Arcam SR250 amp and they sound great in terms of clarity and soundstaging. So much so that when I got my Denon for surround duties I forked out for the full Dirac suite on top.
There are certain characteristics of a speaker that you can't completely EQ out, I think he means that the (horizontal) off axis performance is fairly wide so after EQ it will sound pretty consistent plus or minus ~40 degrees.

If we compare to some similar class of speaker like the Klipsch 8000F II's for example are less well behaved so after EQ it's going to sound very different beyond about 25 degrees - especially in the higher frequencies.

Looking at a much more expensive speaker with a similar design - like the Arendal 1961's it's obviously a bit wider overall and more consistent but not massively so.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis