MAXIMIZING THE USEFULNESS OF A HOME THEATER WITH 2 CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
When I first got into home theater, some 17 years ago, it was early in the digital age of AV. What interested me was the DVDs with 5 discrete digital audio channels. Their sound was noticeably better than AV audio systems I'd heard before.

When I first got an AVR and DVD player, it took me some time to feel comfortable with the transition from the rather simple 1970s analog gear and 2 channel sound to the modern digital receiver and the 5 (or more) channel sound. I found the owners manuals from Denon to be especially obtuse. They did a poor job explaining what the new functions of the digital AVR were. It wasn't immediately obvious, and I think all of us have been there.

So, I don't have any problem with DCS0760's apparent difficulty in understanding the intended use of modern AV receivers, even though it is 2017 and not 2000. I can't criticize DCS0760 for not knowing what I also once didn't know. However, I do fault his remarkable resistance to learning what AVRs are intended to do and can do. Instead he seems to prefer his own spin on things, no matter how bizarre it seems to the rest of us.

Finally, his unusual language constructions don't help us understand what he is trying to say. (I could be wrong, but it does seem that English is DCS0760's native language.) Perhaps he has the same resistance to standard grammar and word usage that he also has to standard AV acoustic layout ideas.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Yep. I think he just likes to come and swat the beehive once in a while. Have you checked the avs thread lately? I wonder how the traffic is on that thread. Pretty quiet las I saw...
I think the hope is that he comes up with something at least entertaining enough to keep the thread going but he keeps disappointing...

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
When I first got into home theater, some 17 years ago, it was early in the digital age of AV. What interested me was the DVDs with 5 discrete digital audio channels. Their sound was noticeably better than AV audio systems I'd heard before.

When I first got an AVR and DVD player, it took me some time to feel comfortable with the transition from the rather simple 1970s analog gear and 2 channel sound to the modern digital receiver and the 5 (or more) channel sound. I found the owners manuals from Denon to be especially obtuse. They did a poor job explaining what the new functions of the digital AVR were. It wasn't immediately obvious, and I think all of us have been there.

So, I don't have any problem with DCS0760's apparent difficulty in understanding the intended use of modern AV receivers, even though it is 2017 and not 2000. I can't criticize DCS0760 for not knowing what I also once didn't know. However, I do fault his remarkable resistance to learning what AVRs are intended to do and can do. Instead he seems to prefer his own spin on things, no matter how bizarre it seems to the rest of us.

Finally, his unusual language constructions don't help us understand what he is trying to say. (I could be wrong, but it does seem that English is DCS0760's native language.) Perhaps he has the same resistance to standard grammar and word usage that he also has to standard AV acoustic layout ideas.
Well, I agree to a point, but I bet you responded to questions with something other than "read the OP". If he didn't come off as somebody who thinks his way is superior and the plebes are simply incapable of understanding his genius, I would cut him some more slack.

He simply points to his OP as if that actually explains everything, which it doesn't but then points out how it could help others, which it doesn't.

I think he came up with something not understanding what he was getting into and lacks the ability to say he goofed and can now understand how his OP is as Sheldon Cooper would put it "Hokum".

Until he makes some sense, I call "Hokum".

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Boom! This!
I laughed when I saw that quote over there. This reminds me of some of the cable debate threads I've seen. Ah non cable guy:"hey where's your measurements?" Cable guy: "don't need any, just try em for yourself. Don't like, send em back" rinse and repeat. It has been kinda fun though. You guys are clever wit da jokes.
Where did that come from? Funny.

Here's another reply in a different thread.

"DCS0760, they destroyed your idea already in Audioholics. Why you want to repeat this here?!
Bored or just too much free time in your hand?

And your idea is nothing new, I and probably many people more tried this 20 years ago when all 5.1 stuff was very new and exciting. It is not a good idea.
Your links are probably from people who can't operate receivers properly or have faulty item. I never used receiver (and I used alot of these) , which cannot decode stereo sound into center channel."

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Agree with much of this and definitely experience some of the learning curve. I actually learned a lot in the "old days" from crutchfield catalogs. Lmao!
My problem here is op just won't elaborate or reciprocate. The links he posted are irrelevant or misguided at best, and then when called on it, we have radio silence. Then he randomly pops up and tries to start it back up with randomness. I should click "ignore" but something in me is just compelled to play "whack a troll".

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Where did that come from? Funny.

Here's another reply in a different thread.

"DCS0760, they destroyed your idea already in Audioholics. Why you want to repeat this here?!
Bored or just too much free time in your hand?

And your idea is nothing new, I and probably many people more tried this 20 years ago when all 5.1 stuff was very new and exciting. It is not a good idea.
Your links are probably from people who can't operate receivers properly or have faulty item. I never used receiver (and I used alot of these) , which cannot decode stereo sound into center channel."
Wow! Brutal. I'm lmao!!!
The "cable conversation" is a paraphrase of a thread I was in, and similar to some I have seen go around. It's like chasin a kid through the house that has a leaking diaper. I'll be dipped in Sh¡t if I can catch em before it's all over the place. Metaphorically speaking of course.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow! Brutal. I'm lmao!!!
The "cable conversation" is a paraphrase of a thread I was in, and similar to some I have seen go around. It's like chasin a kid through the house that has a leaking diaper. I'll be dipped in Sh¡t if I can catch em before it's all over the place. Metaphorically speaking of course.
Yeah, I picked up on it after I posted. I thought you were quoting a post from a different forum. :confused:

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, I picked up on it after I posted. I thought you were quoting a post from a different forum. :confused:
Sorry. Just sharing some good times from another shining example.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
… If he didn't come off as somebody who thinks his way is superior and the plebes are simply incapable of understanding his genius, I would cut him some more slack.

He simply points to his OP as if that actually explains everything, which it doesn't but then points out how it could help others, which it doesn't.
His OP was unreadable – it didn't explain anything. I did find that funny, but maybe I didn't make that clear. Maybe I've seen too many variations of that before to be bothered much by it.
I think he came up with something not understanding what he was getting into and lacks the ability to say he goofed and can now understand how his OP is as Sheldon Cooper would put it "Hokum".

Until he makes some sense, I call "Hokum".
I'd call it both "Hokum" and Sheldon Cooper Arrogance at the same time – written by someone who can't write his way out of a paper bag.

… … or, he's a Troll who succeeded at getting our attention.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
His OP was unreadable – it didn't explain anything. I did find that funny, but maybe I didn't make that clear. Maybe I've seen too many variations of that before to be bothered much by it.
I'd call it both "Hokum" and Sheldon Cooper Arrogance at the same time – written by someone who can't write his way out of a paper bag.

… … or, he's a Troll who succeeded at getting our attention entertaining us.
FTFY :p

D

DCS0760

Junior Audioholic

Swerd,

What isn't clear or difficult to understand in my OP? Is it the setup (how to configure the design) or it's usefulness?

What kind of variations of the OP have you seen before? Have you ever seen anything that is exactly the same and allows for the same options?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll stick with "getting our attention".

The guy who built these speakers set the bar pretty high for "entertaining" us :p.

Ha ha! Okay, I give. With one fell swoop (post) you trounced my observation. :p

That one is pretty hard to beat. I wonder where he's been? I can't even remember his tag.

D

DCS0760

Junior Audioholic
As I mentioned in the OP, the whole configuration could be simplified if there was an AVR that had two center channel outputs that were assignable for Center or Front Left/Front Right.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
As I mentioned in the OP, the whole configuration could be simplified if there was an AVR that had two center channel outputs that were assignable for Center or Front Left/Front Right.
WHAT SOUND MODE DO YOU USE FOR THE VARIOUS CONFIGURATIONS YOU USE? Good grief man are you obtuse or something?

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I'll stick with "getting our attention".

The guy who built these speakers set the bar pretty high for "entertaining" us :p.

I still have my Frankenstein speakers I'm building, just haven't had the time. I think they will surpass these beauties. :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
WHAT SOUND MODE DO YOU USE FOR THE VARIOUS CONFIGURATIONS YOU USE? Good grief man are you obtuse or something?
I'm sorry Head. I don't think he'll answer you. Except to refer you to the stupid OP. He's probably never even done it except in his head. That's why he can't elaborate. It was too much to do once, let alone upon request.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Swerd,

What isn't clear or difficult to understand in my OP? Is it the setup (how to configure the design) or it's usefulness?

What kind of variations of the OP have you seen before? Have you ever seen anything that is exactly the same and allows for the same options?
Your entire post isn't clear. For 10 pages you've been asked to clarify your op so the rest of us can understand how this would be any kind of improvement. You've made this post on a few different forums. Has there been a single reply in any of them that say this is a great idea? It seems that no one understands your op.

How many threads, and how many posts does it take for you to rethink your premise? What you're describing sounds to me like a mess. Why not buy no center channel and go phantom with your existing main left and right speakers? How is your solution "better"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis