MAXIMIZING THE USEFULNESS OF A HOME THEATER WITH 2 CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Perhaps this particular design/setup is not well suited for some of you; but it may be for others.
No, it's not suited for anybody who knows anything about audio. Hence my simple question that you either can't comprehend, or you realize how wrong it is but stick to it anyway.

Are you in political office? If so you're making more sense to me.

D

DCS0760

Junior Audioholic
You have figured a clever way to wire the scheme for two center channels, but you haven't considered the acoustic problems. There is a reason why we only use one speaker per channel, and this science goes way back. Read up on lobing. Lobing is already a problem with conventional center speaker designs when they orient their drivers on a horizontal plane. Your idea takes that problem and makes it twice as bad for tweeter frequencies and literally four times as bad for woofer frequencies because you are compounding the horizontal drivers. Here is an article about the acoustic problems inherent with conventional center speakers; your solution makes that problem much worse.

Shady,

I just reread this post.

Why can't you just place the two center channel speakers vertically?

Update,
I am still using the design as described in the OP (speakers are laid horizontally) and still enjoying it's usefulness and the various options it offers.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
One problem with having two center speakers directed at the listener on a vertical axis is that the sound coming from them will be exactly the same and that could make for some serious comb-filtering if not done in a highly controlled manner. If you want to hear why this is a problem, take two speakers playing the exact same content, preferably a test tone, and move them around each other at various distances from each other and listen to the changes in the sound.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Shady,

I just reread this post.

Why can't you just place the two center channel speakers vertically?

Update,
I am still using the design as described in the OP (speakers are laid horizontally) and still enjoying it's usefulness and the various options it offers.
Wow. lol

Hey, glad you're enjoying your setup. That's what counts the most.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I was wondering how long until this came back up. Now my lunch is too...

D

DCS0760

Junior Audioholic
One problem with having two center speakers directed at the listener on a vertical axis is that the sound coming from them will be exactly the same and that could make for some serious comb-filtering if not done in a highly controlled manner. If you want to hear why this is a problem, take two speakers playing the exact same content, preferably a test tone, and move them around each other at various distances from each other and listen to the changes in the sound.

It's not as difficult as you all make it out to be. Your own posts recognize that it is possible to do. All it takes is a little testing with the position of the centers and the tuning (bass, mids, treble, auto eq calibration setups, etc.)

I have my two centers laid horizontally spaced about 10-12 inches apart (MT TM) and its working out well. It may be that what a lot of people hear as comb/filtering or lobing is just the tuning of their system or the content they are viewing. I've tested this by using a 2 channel output sent to the two centers(when configured as front left / front right) and then switching the same audio signal to the main front left/right (positioned about 7-8 feet from either side of the screen) and have noticed that what I thought might be comb filtering/lobing was actually the content I was viewing. When I did notice any issues, it turned out that the two centers actually handled the sound better than the main front left/right.

You can easily run the same test by using a 2 channel output and switching between speaker A/B within the design outlined in the OP.

The same results apply when I use the two centers as the center channel in 3.0 and up configuration.

And, as I've mentioned in the previous posts, it is a welcomed change/alternative to be able to use the two centers as front Left and Right. It provides a more subtle viewing/listening experience for every day use.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So, how is it advantageous or useful compared to a standard setup?

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
It may be that what a lot of people hear as comb/filtering or lobing is just the tuning of their system or the content they are viewing
Or, it could be that identical speakers are hooked up playing the exact same content as a dual center channel known commonly to cause comb filtering / lobing.

I think the main issue is you want this to be an enhancement no matter what you hear from people who know better.

You're still trying to implement a solution looking for a problem.

D

DCS0760

Junior Audioholic
You "select few" need to stop cluttering the thread. You're making it more difficult for others to understand the idea. This thread got buried back on the 3rd or 4th page of this forum, but once it got back on the front page it generated a couple hundred views within just a day or two.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
You "select few" need to stop cluttering the thread. You're making it more difficult for others to understand the idea. This thread got buried back on the 3rd or 4th page of this forum, but once it got back on the front page it generated a couple hundred views within just a day or two.
Right, that's what we're after, page views for a nonsense thread where the OP doesn't answer questions and blames peoples system configurations instead of reading what people are explaining to him.

You keep pointing to the first post so why if you explained it properly would they need anymore of the thread since you're incapable of answering questions?

Solly cholly, you post something that clearly has issues, people are going to continue to explain why it has issues and you'll continue to blame them.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I wasn't going to. But...
Maybe the reason for a couple hundred views is that this idea is stupid, and you've done nothing to reinforce it, other than refer everyone the OP. You've been asked countless times for elaboration, and reciprocation. Nope. Just refer to he OP. I know I'm one of the select few and that's fine. You've been asked and since you don't want to play nice, I'm asking you to leave. Or please explain the USEFULNESS and MAXIMIZATION. The one making this abortion hard to understand is you.

D

DCS0760

Junior Audioholic
Maybe the reason for a couple hundred views is that this idea is stupid, and you've done nothing to reinforce it, other than refer everyone the OP. You've been asked countless times for elaboration, and reciprocation. Nope. Just refer to he OP. I know I'm one of the select few and that's fine. You've been asked and since you don't want to play nice, I'm asking you to leave. Or please explain the USEFULNESS and MAXIMIZATION. The one making this abortion hard to understand is you.

William,

And all the other posts don't require any views because their validity and substance is immediately understood from their thread title alone?

C'mon William

And there have been numerous points/reinforcements made throughout the thread; aside from referring to OP. Maybe if you reread the thread you'll get your answers.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am in the same boat. I don't want to reply to this train wreck of a thread, but as mentioned, the thread is getting views because you have NOT supported your idea, not because it is a good idea. It gets views because it is humorous not useful.

D

DCS0760

Junior Audioholic
Check out this link

https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/type=av-processor/model=d2v-3d/page=overview

This product has 2 center channel outputs and if you read page 9 of the user manual, the manufacturer addresses how resonance/lobing/comb filtering can be overcome; if such issues/problems present themselves. Their solution is similar to the points I made in a previous post.

All that is needed now is to have a manufacturer build a receiver that has two center channel outputs that are assignable as center or front right/left; as mention in the OP.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Check out this link

https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/type=av-processor/model=d2v-3d/page=overview

This product has 2 center channel outputs and if you read page 9 of the user manual, the manufacturer addresses how resonance/lobing/comb filtering can be overcome; if such issues/problems present themselves. Their solution is similar to the points I made in a previous post.

All that is needed now is to have a manufacturer build a receiver that has two center channel outputs that are assignable as center or front right/left; as mention in the OP.
It also says nothing about the configuration you're proposing. Probably because there would be comb filtering and lobing issues. They state that it's there if you have a tall screen and want to have 1 above and 1 below. Which is another configuration I've seen that's not recommended.

"Parallel outputs are provided for a second center channel speaker and/or subwoofer. If your screen is large,
you might want to use one center channel speaker above it and another one below it."

D

DCS0760

Junior Audioholic
pogre, Klipsch and you other "select few" goons are hopeless antagonizers. Are you guys on the payroll for the audioholic brute squad?

Give it up

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
pogre, Klipsch and you other "select few" goons are hopeless antagonizers. Are you guys on the payroll for the audioholic brute squad?

Give it up
People who can't answer simple questions instead choosing to blame the people asking the questions either lack the knowledge or is too stubborn to learn from their mistake or from others obviously much more knowledgeable.

You suggest re-read the thread, I toss that back at you, maybe this time try some comprehension skills and answering some questions people posed to you so you don't come off so foolish.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You have to watch out for the Audioholics brute squad, they are notorious. I try to stay clear of them, or else they take my lunch money. Uh oh, here they come now! I'm outta here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis