Marcus Oakley's "Best Recommendation" Questions

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
hi all

i i am after buying 4 dayton audio ultimax um18-22 subs

i need somebody who can build the subs from scratch to fully working order for me

i live in kettering northamptonshire area united kingdom if anybody could please kindly do this for me please that would be great thanks

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You need to have the design of the cabinets to get a price quote from any competent woodworker.
The DIY guys here can likely direct you to detailed plans.
To my knowledge, we do not have a strong UK presence on this board and one of the main reasons to DIY is to avoid shipping huge heavy boxes.
You need to find a more local venue to look for a builder. Cabinet shops are one source. Also, there may be some hobbyist woodworking clubs about your area that have monthly meetings.

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
hi all

at the moment i have the denon 4300h amp a emotiva xpa3 gen3 amp using rbh impressions series 11.4 speaker package and 4 dayton audio ultimax um18-22 subs and a oppo 205 4k player using blue jeans cables and interconnects also using a mini dsp 2x4 connector so i can use 4 subs

my question is to get the full power of what the dayton audio ultimax um18-22 subs are capable of doing is there anyway i can also add a behringer inuke 6000 amp to the components i have listed if so how do i wire it all up thanks

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
can the oppo 205 be connected to a denon 4300 amp using 7.1 analouge connections i want the best sound quality from my oppo 205 using the denon if not any other way of connecting it up to still get the very best sound quality from the oppo 205 thanks
Is your Denon the AVR-X4300H? Why not use an HDMI cable between the Oppo and the Denon, and a second HDMI cable between the Denon and your TV?

Yes, you can connect the Oppo 205 to the Denon by all those analog jacks. But it only offers a more complicated audio connection than if you use a single HDMI cable. I seriously doubt you'll hear a difference between the Denon and the Oppo DACs.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
can the oppo 205 be connected to a denon 4300 amp using 7.1 analouge connections i want the best sound quality from my oppo 205 using the denon if not any other way of connecting it up to still get the very best sound quality from the oppo 205 thanks
Marcus,
I don't recall reading one of your posts, so let me apologize in advance if I underestimate your knowledge base!
However, I wanted to make sure that you understood that you would need to sacrifice many of the features of your AVR (such as Audyssey XT32) to avoid the Denon's DAC being in the picture.
Much of the audio processing done by your AVR is in the digital domain. I'm not sure where the line is drawn, but some that I would expect to use the DAC are (if you have already researched this, please tell me which:)):
Lip sync timing
Level/phase matching between speakers as part of the setup
Dolby processing
DTS processing
Audyssey Dynamic EQ

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes you can. The audio benefits for MUSIC outweigh the bass management on the AVR. You can have it both ways (I've always done it that way) though since the multichannel analog inputs are always a stand alone input.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
No, the X4300H does not offer 7.1 analog inputs. In recent years, Denon only equipped their top models such as the AVR-4520CI and AVR-X7200WA with 7.1 multichannel analog inputs. I don't really blame them, that feature is kept just so people can still use their old high end players that does not have HDMI or Denon Link connections. In any case I don't see any benefits even if you can hear the difference between DACs in the Oppo and the Denon's because of everything else in the audio path.

Marantz still offers 7.1 analog inputs, even the SR5011 has them.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No, the X4300H does not offer 7.1 analog inputs. In recent years, Denon only equipped their top models such as the AVR-4520CI and AVR-X7200WA with 7.1 multichannel analog inputs. I don't really blame them, that feature is kept just so people can still use their old high end players that does not have HDMI or Denon Link connections. In any case I don't see any benefits even if you can hear the difference between DACs in the Oppo and the Denon's because of everything else in the audio path.

Marantz still offers 7.1 analog inputs, even the SR5011 has them.
Of course, the unit has to have those inputs (I did not look). :) Haven't heard the 205 yet, but the 105 sounded better than everything I've had it connected to.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Of course, the unit has to have those inputs (I did not look). :) Haven't heard the 205 yet, but the 105 sounded better than everything I've had it connected to.
I just happened to remember that Denon has given those up on models below their top model. Actually he just mentioned Denon 4300, so we assume he meant the X4300H. If he made a typo, and meant the much older 4310, then he would be fine because the 4310 does have 7.1 analog inputs.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you want to get the most out of the Ultimax subs, give them their recommended power handling, which I believe is 1200 watts at 4 ohms each. As for learning how to wire it all up, that is a lot to ask us to explain here. There are a ton of good DIY speaker tutorials that will teach you that, just do a google search. Honestly, I think you are on over your head concerning DIY if you are asking questions like these. There is a lot of background research you will want to have done before you pull the trigger on a purchase like that. I would just get some ready-to-go subs if I were you. Those BK subs I told you about earlier look like a good value.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you buy me a round trip ticket to the UK and put me up for a month or so, I'd be happy to build them for you! :p

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
HI PORGE

IF I WAS TO SEND THE ITEMS TO YOU THEN YOU COULD BUILD THEM FOR ME AND THEM SEND THEM BACK TO ME THANKS I CANT PUT YOU UP FOR THE MONTH IM NOT ALLOWED TO DO THAT WHERE I LIVE HOW LONG DO YOU THINK IT WOULD TAKE TO BUILD FROM SCRATCH TO FULLY WORKING CONDITION AND HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK IT WILL COST IN TOTAL TO BUILD FOUR DAYTON AUDIO ULTIMAX UM15-22 SUBS THANKS COULD YOU LET ME NO ASAP THANKS

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
HI PORGE

IF I WAS TO SEND THE ITEMS TO YOU THEN YOU COULD BUILD THEM FOR ME AND THEM SEND THEM BACK TO ME THANKS I CANT PUT YOU UP FOR THE MONTH IM NOT ALLOWED TO DO THAT WHERE I LIVE HOW LONG DO YOU THINK IT WOULD TAKE TO BUILD FROM SCRATCH TO FULLY WORKING CONDITION AND HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK IT WILL COST IN TOTAL TO BUILD FOUR DAYTON AUDIO ULTIMAX UM15-22 SUBS THANKS COULD YOU LET ME NO ASAP THANKS
Ha ha! Well, I was kidding. I live in the states and I'm sure a round trip ticket to the UK and back wouldn't be cheap. You'd be far better off finding a proven design and have a local cabinet maker or wood worker build them for you.

I'd love to come visit the old country though. I've always wanted to see the UK.

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
could you still build them for me please if i was to send to you thanks

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
You need to have the design of the cabinets to get a price quote from any competent woodworker.
The DIY guys here can likely direct you to detailed plans.
To my knowledge, we do not have a strong UK presence on this board and one of the main reasons to DIY is to avoid shipping huge heavy boxes.
You need to find a more local venue to look for a builder. Cabinet shops are one source. Also, there may be some hobbyist woodworking clubs about your area that have monthly meetings.
I could be wrong here, but doesn't PartsXpress offer their Dayton kits fully assembled for an added fee? Or, put the kits together so there really is not that much left to do? I am NOT a DIY type of guy and never have been. However, PartsXpress used to offer their kits with various options. The OP would have to pay freight that is bound to be expensive. Not to mention the costs of the kits. I recommend that the OP find something more local and use the savings to buy the best quality subs he can. Just saying.......

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The freight costs for completed large ported boxes would be substantial and then there's security and customs formalities and it can be a pain for whoever is shipping them as well as OP at destination. I'd still try to find a local cabinet builder and provide him with detailed instructions (which can be had for such subs, particularly the full Marty subs as known on avsforum.com).

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
hi all

i i am after buying 4 dayton audio ultimax um18-22 subs

i need somebody who can build the subs from scratch to fully working order for me

i live in kettering northamptonshire area united kingdom if anybody could please kindly do this for me please that would be great thanks
Pogre was just kidding he does not do any wood work that I know of. Perhaps TLS guy(maybe PM him) can direct you to a place there in the UK.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
If you can use HDMI, why use the preouts? You lose all of the processing in your receiver, the DAC in the oppo is not going to give you any more quality than the DAC in your receiver. I would reserve preouts for legacy receivers without truehd or DTS MA processing.

Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis